• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
omega

Alloy Sump

omega

been offered a alloy sump that the seller says will fit my 1,9 gti and have a couple of questions

will it fit my 1,9 engine

if it does do i need the alloy spacer plate

are there any advantages to having one

cheers

Anthony

Depends where the sump is from as to whether you need the spacer plate - if it's from a 1.9 Mi16 or a 205 with AC then you will, whereas if it's from an XU7 or XU10 you won't.

Advantage is mostly that it's easier to seal (IMO), helps oil cooling and most XU7/XU10 ones have baffles, the disadvantage is that it's easier to crack if you bash it on a kerb / speed hump etc.

Miles

Ebay I guess? The seller's will say yes to almost anything to get a sale.

But as above

omega

thanks for the replys

its not from ebay,its of a bloke i met yesterday in the car park" who used to have one years ago " says i can have it for a tenner.

do all the xu sumps have the baffles?

good point about speed bumps but as mine isnt lowered i think il be alright on that.

Anthony

do all the xu sumps have the baffles?

No.

Most if not all XU10 (2.0 8v and 16v) ones do, as do XU7JP4 (1.8 16v), but that's about it.

Remember that the sump bolts different between tin and alloy sumps, and depending whether you have the spacer or not.

omega

No.

Most if not all XU10 (2.0 8v and 16v) ones do, as do XU7JP4 (1.8 16v), but that's about it.

Remember that the sump bolts different between tin and alloy sumps, and depending whether you have the spacer or not.

so to fit a alloy sump you need the spacer plate as well as the bolt holes are diffrent

Anthony

No.

They all use the same bolt pattern, just that the bolts are longer for the spacer as obviously the bolt needs to go through that as well as the sump. Sumps that are meant for use with the spacer plate (i.e. 205 1.9 GTi and 1.9 Mi16) are shallower in depth, so that the shallow sump plus spacer combo is the same height as a full height sump.

The bolts themselves are different between tin and alloy sumps, so make sure you get the matching bolts.

omega

thanks Anthony

will go and have a look and see what hes got

dont think he will have kept the bolts but you never know, still iam sure i should be able to get bolts from somewhere.

welshpug

40mm long M7 bolts for a/c XU9 says SB :)

omega

well been and bought it dont really need it at the moment but who knows one day and at only tenner cant really say no

no bolts and no spacer plate with it.

thanks for the info welshpug.

Edited by omega

pug_ham
Depends where the sump is from as to whether you need the spacer plate - if it's from a 1.9 Mi16 or a 205 with AC then you will, whereas if it's from an XU7 or XU10 you won't.

Although the Mi16 has the spacer / stiffener plate fitted, the sump is also approx 10mm deeper (same as the stiffener thickness) & I don't think its really needed on the 8v as the alloy sump is pretty stiff compared to a steel one imo.

Also, fitting an Mi16 one with the stiffener increases the oil capacity by aprox 0.5l iirc, the Mi16 has a 5,5l capacity over the usual 5l for the 8v.

g

Sign in to follow this