• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy666

How Much Difference Did An Alarm/imob Make To Your Insurance?

johnnyboy666

Just out of curiosity, has anybody fitted an alarm or imobiliser to the car and found the difference in insurance noticable?

only wondering as I dont have one fitted to my car and if it makes much difference to the insurance price it might be worth doing (along with the security benefit!)

cheers

john

welshpug

Most insurance companies wouldn't cover me for theft of/from the vehicle till I got a Cat1 alarm fitted.

johnnyboy666

hmm, does that mean they would only cover you 'third party' ? I'm fully comp at the moment with no alarm/immob. Maybe I should read my small print!?

Mind you mines a base model so will be lower value, whether that makes much difference I dont know.

welshpug

yup pretty much, and since then a a few have said they would only do the full cover upon receipt of a copy of the certificate.

pugpete1108

Mines never had an alarm or immobiliser and i have never had trouble with insurance?

However it is always garaged over night so that may be a deciding factor?

jeremy

In my experience some insurers will not quote or will not cover for theft. However I cannot answer your question directly as did not bother to ask the companies who would not quote to quote with an alarm.

m_attt

i think it depends were you live, My M3 evo had a tracker fitted but not activated, I asked weather getting it done would make any difference and they said no dont bother. And have never had any issues with not having alarms fitted.

GLPoomobile

I know that Flux and HIC used to state (and probably still do) that if the vehicle was valued over £2000 you had to have at least a Cat II imobiliser fitted.

EDIT: Does the above text look tiny to anyone who can read it?

Edited by GLPoomobile

Tesstuff

No Steve.

Edit: Oops does mine look big?

The insurer will say when you do the quote what is required Johnny.

The discount is non existent, much like the car club discount.

Edited by Tesstuff