• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Namder

Cas Smashed!

Namder

Hi, i need some help please just took my MI16 out for a quick shake down before a track day on wednesday and broke down!!

i'm running an emerald ecu and the light won't go to green on cranking so i removed the crank sensor and it's damaged!

has anyone had a similar problem?

any thought would be welcome thanks,.

Anthony

Only time that I've personally seen this is when something has come loose in the bell housing, which gets flicked up and damages the crank sensor. The two I've seen, one was a clutch bolt that came loose, and the other was the clutch pressure plate and release bearing breaking up.

You could just replace the sensor, but personally, I'd want to remove the gearbox and see if there's any other damage or loose/missing parts.

pugdamo

I blew a diff and a piece smashed the end off crank sensor,wasnt doing anything to make it blow,was just going round a corner,first i knew about it was an oily smell and then the car cut out

Namder

Thanks for the info but i've already now damaged a spare sensor!!

the gearbox is off and no sign of any bolt / nut as such but there's lots of marks around the staring ring and bell housing.

I've checked for crank walk but can't feel any play. i'll order a crank sensor and put in back together tomorrow and hope for the best!

Edited by Namder

S@m

I ran without a flywheel cover for a long time and once a rogue piece of metal managed to get in there and smash my crank sensor, car/engine just shut down mid corner and i coasted to a halt - took a while to figure out what happened.Whilst i did find an odd chunk of metal in the bellhousing it sounds ridiculous that something got up in there whilst driving - but what else smashed the crank sensor?

dcc

have you got the little metal spacer which makes the CAS sit about 1.5mm proud?

I didnt know they had these until I took one off of a car in a scrapyard saturday. I'd never seen one before.

welshpug

have you got the little metal spacer which makes the CAS sit about 1.5mm proud?

I didnt know they had these until I took one off of a car in a scrapyard saturday. I'd never seen one before.

not likely to be an XU part, was it a later one off an EW?

Tom Fenton

I experienced this a few years ago whilst me and my mate had the gearbox out of my 405 Mi16 to repair the diff planet wheels. On reassembly a nut was dropped, we couldn't find it anywhere. Yes you guessed it, it went down a hole into the bellhousing. I got about 400yds around the corner from the workshop when the car suddenly stopped dead. On cranking there was a horrible noise. We eventually figured out what had happened, the hardest bit was getting the mashed crank sensor out of the hole in the top of the gearbox. I now always make sure the metal lower cover and the plastic plugs are all fitted, and also make sure you account for any dropped bolts!

Namder

Thanks again guys for the help, can i ask another question i'm struggling to find which cas i need pug say they can get one for me of a L reg mi16 2.0 for about £40.00 but when i quote the number off the bosch one thats damaged all the other auto factors say about £100.00 and it fits a merc ?

i need to get it right as time is short i'm at cadwell park on wednesday!!!

welshpug

GSF stock them, they're abut £18.

edit, was a while ago, now £23.94 on their website, you might be able to get a decent discount on that.

929PC0130

o.e number is 1920 C3.

Edited by welshpug

dcc

It came from a hdi i think. Xantia :)

Namder

GSF stock them, they're abut £18.

edit, was a while ago, now £23.94 on their website, you might be able to get a decent discount on that.

929PC0130

o.e number is 1920 C3.

Thank you i now have a new crank sensor if i'm ever in cardiff the beers are on me!!

got two hours off work to make a head start getting it back together thanks for all the help i was at my wits end last night having just spent about 70 hrs respraying her white.

Sign in to follow this