• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ian010778

Keyed Alike Door Locks

ian010778

Hi all,

A while ago, someone tried to relieve me of my 205 whilst it was in a car park. They didn't manage to get into the car or take it away (must have been the YT) but they did damage the locks. The door locks were subsequently replaced and I now have two keys for the car.

I will soon be taking the door cards out and re-fitting the central locking motors after sourcing a replacement n/s motor (and maybe a pair of cheeky 5.25" woofers if I can find the right ones at the right price).

Whilst I'm doing this, is it possible for me to take the replacement door locks out and change them so that they operate with the original key? If so, does anyone know if this is hard to do or if there is any guidance that exists about how to do this?

I have seen a couple of companies online that claim to be able to do this work but it looks expensive so I'm thinking 'if they can do it, so can I' :)

Any help appreciated.

Ian.

welshpug

easiest and probably cheapest approach is to obtain a complete used lockset form a forum member breaking a car, or to buy a new complete lock set.

Baz

Pretty sure you can take the rockers out of the lock barrel and change them to match the key you want, but my god what a complete nightmare...

johnnyboy666

easy peasy, all the door locks are just held in with a metal slider type thing, just take door card off, slide out and unhook central locking and swap over. ingntion barrel you will need to insert the key and turn it to depress a pin in the barrel to get it out, then just disconnect wiring and reconnect and slot new one in with the key in.

boot similar to the doors but the key surround bit comes off too.

petrol cap is swappable but cant remember how exactly

and base model lock sets are the same as gti except some dont have a petrol cap lock or glove box lock

and it seems i misread the question

oops

• Like 1

ian010778

Cheers both - I'm not fussed for it being a pain as I'll have the time, seems daft too but in buying a new/replacement lock-set I'll never use the original key again and if I can avoid this I'd be happy as I have both original keys as supplied with the car and one (I guess the spare) has never been used.

I'll have a think about it and see if anyone else has actually done this. I guess my concern is how do I know which rocker configuration will fit my key? Is it a case of trial and error (in which case I won't have the time) or will the new/required configuration be obvious once I've opened the barrels?

jeremy

Certainly at one point you could give Peugeot the number off the key/key tag and they could order you a new barrel to match, they also gave me a key blade with it. The new key blade looked nothing like the old one but worked all the locks and ignition, not sure where you get the fob bit to go on the blade though!

BlueBolt

Bit of a thread hi-jak, and I'll apologies straight away, but is it also possible to change the key operated part of the fuel cap so I can keep my blue one without sourcing a new blue cap?? Bought a set a while ago and it came with a red fuel cap, that's the only lock I didn't change...

Back to the original topic though... If you do manage this then please take a million pics and do us a "How To" guide?? Could be very useful!!!

Ryan

From memory I think the coloured cover and the black bit that lines up with the rear quarter badges are both just clipped on. The inner part that holds the lock is glued together, but comes apart easily enough.

Once it's apart you can change the lock and glue the two halves back together, then fit whichever colour cover you like.

ian010778

Certainly at one point you could give Peugeot the number off the key/key tag and they could order you a new barrel to match, they also gave me a key blade with it. The new key blade looked nothing like the old one but worked all the locks and ignition, not sure where you get the fob bit to go on the blade though!

Of course - I have the little tag with the number, attached to the spare key - I'll have a word with Peugeot, see if they can do me a couple of locks.

Thanks for that - sometimes the most simple things are overlooked :o

BlueBolt

Would be interested to see what kind of price these come in at...

Henry Yorke

I took a petrol cap apart on my GTI and removed the little barrels in it and put it back together again. It would open with any key then, so the whole car ended up on one key :)

I'm so sad in that I took pictures of it and can easily find them from back in 2004 :blush:

post-3457-0-70237300-1335046420_thumb.jpg

post-3457-0-08185400-1335046422_thumb.jpg

post-3457-0-24295400-1335046423_thumb.jpg

ian010778

Howdy all,

Been to Peugeot and a door lock ordered to be keyed to a serial number is £47.07 plus VAT so all in for a pair is £96.54. Part number 91701A.

The tech's at Peugeot did say to re-key a door lock would be a mare as the tumblers are in a cartridge and they're not sure it's actually be possible to open the cartridge.

Ian

Henry Yorke

I think you can see the tumblers all fell apart in the pics above of the petrol cap

deathbringer929

a good smithy will be able to undo the cartridge and re-tumble the barrell. had mine done with this guy (patrick)- http://www.carkeyhelp.co.uk/

they are sealed/crimped on peugeot but you can re-bond it back together. saxo barrell is very similar with a clip on instead of crimps.