• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ahl

Crankshaft Oil Seal Depth? Flywheel Side

Ahl

Hello folks,

I've done a likely silly thing, putting in the flywheel side crankshaft oil seal, I've drifted the thing as far back as it will go.

I was following the advice in the peugeot workshop manual for the mi16, which advocates tapping it fully home. But since then I realise that is using a special peugeot tool (drift) with the oil seal, and this might locate against the outside of the block to stop the seal going all the way back.

Looking at another engine, it looks to me like it may still seal with the seal all the way back, but I'm not sure.

Has anyone done this before and had the thing still seal?

Ahl

Naebody? Surely there are some folk here who have fitted an oilseal on an XU?

pugpete1108

I did mine a month ago and pushed it too far in, I didn't want to take the chance of it leaking so removed it ( buggering it in the process) and fitted a new one flush with the block.

No leaks since.

welshpug

I usually fit them to the same depth as the old one :)

jonny6

fitted mine last week flush with the block face , used rubber mallet and a smear of engine oil for lube :)

Anthony

As above - roughly flush with the block which leaves the crank face protruding slightly

I've never tried seeing if the seal would work knocked all the way in - in theory it should, but given the complete ballache that is removing the gearbox and flywheel if it doesn't, is it really worth the risk for the cost of a new seal?

allanallen

We rebuilt my 8v into a mi block a couple of weeks ago, the seal had worn a groove into the crank in the original position so I pushed the seal on further to overcome this. It wasn't quite 'home' but it won't of been far off and it seals fine.

As long as the lip of the seal is still on the ground crank surface I can't see why it wouldn't seal?!

SurGie

I usually fit them to the same depth as the old one :)

Same here, thats what the Haynes manual says too. I also applied some moly grease around the lip edges.

Paul_13

If i fit my flywheel seal flush with the block on my 6 engine it dislodges itself :wacko: It was rubbing on the back of the flywheel and leaking loads of oil.

I had to fit it so it was 3-4mm further in and it's been fine.

Edited by Paul_13

Ahl

Thanks folks, I am really am a dipstick when it comes to some things.

The old seal came out about 3 years ago (!) and I couldn't remember how far in it was.

Sign in to follow this