• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Vili

2.1 S16 With Dta S60

Vili

I'm currently setting up my car. I've made the loom from original XU10J4 wiring. I still have couple of questions open.

1. Ignition settings

-I've the original coil on plug setting with original ignition modules so running with wasted spark. How should I config the ecu settings?

Distributor Fitted: No

External coil amps: Yes

but then what?

-What should I put to "Coil On Time"? It should be something between 1000-5000 micro secs.

-The ignition map

I have map made by petert for XU9J4 as a starting point, but probably I'll have to retard the ignition timing to be safe. Is that right, if yes how much should I retard? I have lots of compression roughly 11.5, but also cat cam 526 inlet cam. Eventually the car will be tuned by professional, but need to get it running safe and sound first.

2. Flywheel sensor settings

- 60-2, but what should I put to gap tooth factor? 2000 is the right value, (read it from the s60 manual)

- "Firing Tooth On Startup" Teeth BTDC 0-5? Apparently ignition timing is fixed on specific tooth during cranking. What should try first? 1, again from the manual

- "Flywheel Mode" The car has standard missing tooth flywheel and single tooth cam. There is no such an option to choose?

3. What is the injector dead time of standard injectors?

Edited by Vili

Vili

I'm currently setting up my car. I've made the loom from original XU10J4 wiring. I still have couple of questions open.

1. Ignition settings

-I've the original coil on plug setting with original ignition modules so running with wasted spark. How should I config the ecu settings?

"Distributor Fitted": No

"External coil amps": Yes

but then what?

-What should I put to "Coil On Time"? It should be something between 1000-5000 micro secs.

-The ignition map

I have map made by petert for XU9J4 as a starting point, but probably I'll have to retard the ignition timing to be safe. Is that right, if yes how much should I retard? I have lots of compression roughly 11.5, but also cat cam 526 inlet cam. Eventually the car will be tuned by professional, but need to get it running safe and sound first.

- 60-2, but what should I put to gap tooth factor? 2000 is the right value, (read it from the s60 manual)

- "Firing Tooth On Startup" Teeth BTDC 0-5? Apparently ignition timing is fixed on specific tooth during cranking. What should try first? 1, again from the manual

- "Flywheel Mode" The car has standard missing tooth flywheel and single tooth cam. There is no such an option to choose? Based on very vague forum information "Flywheel Mode" is set to "0-Standard Missing Tooth". Cam sensor settings are found under "Engine Configuration">"Sequential Injection +Fan Control" Still need to find out what is the position of the cam sensor.

3. What is the injector dead time of standard injectors? I will try 0,75ms as suggested by the manual.

petert

Dead time changes with voltage and injector type. Here are 1.9L injector times.

How can you use standard XU10J4 injectors with that engine?

post-2864-0-97115300-1334748110_thumb.jpg

Edited by petert

Vili

Yes, I will need bigger injectors but I would like to see it running first before spending more money on it. Hopefully it will be soon!

Vili

Got everything connected and set up ready for the first start. All well except the car didn't start. It sort of try's but not quite. Occasionally it gets up to 500 rpm but then drops back to 200 rpm.

Wideband shows 0.6 is this too rich?

I sounds like it might have a weak spark. I have the coil on time at 3000 microsecs, but I don't have the datasheet for the coils to check what is right.

petert

0.6 what? Lambda, volts etc.?

Do you know anyone with a cro? It's easy to check the saturation time if you do. 3ms should be fine to get it running however.

petert

I'm not sure you could possibly get a reliable AFR with only 500rpm anyway, even if the bung is in the down pipe. Ignore the meter and use your ears and nose for anything under 1500rpm.

Vili

I'm not sure you could possibly get a reliable AFR with only 500rpm anyway, even if the bung is in the down pipe. Ignore the meter and use your ears and nose for anything under 1500rpm.

Yes I noticed it. When trying to start the lambda value fluctuates too much to be accurate and doesn't react to adjustments very well.

But I got it running! I bought new set of spark plugs and added 50% more start-up enrichment.

Vili

The "correct" settings are:

1. Ignition settings

-I've the original coil on plug setting with original ignition modules running wasted spark.

Distributor Fitted: No

External coil amps: No! Ticking this box inverts the signal from ecu to ignition module. The original module (Bosch -204) doesn't read inverted signal.

Coil On Time: 2500 micro secs. This is from Magneti Marelli datasheet.

Twin spark: Yes. Tick this box if you want to run wasted spark when everything is wired for individual coil-on-plug. I will run with individual COP when I'll find out what is the cam sensor position.

60-2, but what should I put to gap tooth factor? 2000 is the right value, (read it from the s60 manual)

Sensor position: I put 114,5 degrees, but I'm not sure if that's accurate.

Firing Tooth On Startup Teeth BTDC 0-5? Apparently ignition timing is fixed on specific tooth during cranking. 1, from the manual

Flywheel Mode The car has standard missing tooth flywheel and single tooth cam. Choose 0

3. What is the injector dead time of standard injectors? From the file petert posted.

After all everything is pretty straight forward stuff when you have all the relevant information. It is easy to get confused though since there is so many things to play with. I'm sure I will run into bunch of problems when trying to do mapping for the closed loop idle for example. But solving them if part of the fun I guess.

Vili

One important notice. There is a setting under "Coil Per Plug Settings" called "No. of Teeth Coils On in Cranking". Do not put any number bigger than 2 into that box! Actually wouldn't use anything bigger than 1.

These will let the smoke out:

2012-05-07-039.jpg

Edited by Vili

Vili

The car has been running nicely with a new set of coils. I removed the ignition modules from the engine loom since they are not needed with S60. The cranking problem was weird incompatibility issue between my laptop and DTA. If I turn on my laptop when ignition is turned on the car refuses to start or if idling it dies. Knowing this it is easy to turn ignition off when I need to startup the laptop for tuning. This way there's no problem. Of course the car starts and runs fine when the laptop is not connected.

Tuning the engine has been fun. I´m still at steep part of the learning curve. The car is already fully drivable, but closed loop idle still needs work. I've driven 500 km with the new engine and DTA.

Now I need new bigger injectors. The std injectors are reaching duty cycles past 90% at 70% throttle.