• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jeremy_spoke_in

Speedo Sensor S16

jeremy_spoke_in

Can someone tell me what i need to get my speedo working? I've searched but i'm still not sure what i need to get it working.

Its an S16 engine with the original 205 1.6 gearbox (BE3)

Below is the cable

DSC_0014-1.jpg

Below is the sensor for the S16. Do i need the sensor and the tacho screw? Then is it just a case of plugging the cable into it?

hf26d01a.jpg

jeremy_spoke_in

Anyone?

Apparently it's illegal for the speedo not to work.

welshpug

you use the original cogs :)

I doubt its "illegal" to not have a working speedo.

indeed just pop it in and fit the plug, you'll probably find it much easier to get the cable seated properly before fitting th sensor to the gearbox, don't forget to top up the transmission oil as you will lose some.

Edited by welshpug

jeremy_spoke_in

Ok, i always assumed my speedo not working had something to do with the S16 engine in it. But if it plugs into the gearbox the engine is irrelevant?

I'm probably making this harder than it needs to be as usual :unsure:

I'll get underneath tomorrow and see if i can figure it out, thanks welshpug

jeremy_spoke_in

The Peugeot diagram above shows the sensor with 2 pins (maybe its just the diagram?). But the items on ebay to replace the sensor, have 3 pins.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-406-306-93-SPEED-SENSOR-RPM-GAUGE-616024-/220878490174?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item336d624a3e

The only plug on my engine loom close to the sensor is a green 2 hole plug, which at the moment is not plugged in to anything. Does this sound correct or should there be a 3 hole plug?

I need this sorted asap as i have been given a vehicle defect form to be stamped by a mot station to say it is working, within 21 days. I really wanted to fix this myself or its a long drive to ecosse.

cheesegrater

205 speedos are mechanically driven all you need to get the speedo to work is to plug in the speedo cable through the top. The electrical connection is for your ECU VSS sensor.

jeremy_spoke_in

I found my old speeedo cable to be knackered, changed it and i now have a working speedo. As usual i was over-complicating the job. The new cable (1100) is longer than the one that was on it and clears the manifold nicely. Hopefully it won't cook like the last one.

Sign in to follow this