• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
adammay

205 Alloy Suggestions And Lowering

adammay

Hi lads, new o the forum but have been member of forums before (buysellcortina) ect so rufly know what to do ;)

Right got myself a 1989 2 door non sunroof 1.1 (4speed manual choke) one owner from new, every MOT, tax disc and service stamp, 45000 miles chuffed to bits with a price tag of £140 couldnt refuse! Hasnt even got rust or dents its a trooper!

Anyway, like you do when your young got to make her look presentable! Wants to know what alloys i could fit, i dont like rallye steel wheels but i really fancy some 1.6 gti pepperpots would they fit?

Also want to lower he car a little as it looks like a truck at the moment! Got gti front and rear bumperes coming and allye arches which i get to paint at college

Wheres a good place to buy front springs? How difficult and seized would the tortion bar be to lower it. Haha cant wait fo that job!

I know this is the wrong section but i wanna put a 5 speed box in the car, found alot of pug 106's at my local scrappy with 5 speeds which ae 1.1 but injection models. Would the gearbox be a straight swap?

Cheers lads.

Henry Yorke

Lots of questions and welcome to the forum.

For a non GTI, stick with 14" wheels as 15's catch on the arches. I find that early 306 DTurbo ones look good and are easier to balance than 1.6 GTI ones (but they will fit straight on):

19749_304779439668_648594668_4548331_5413080_n.jpg

Buy some springs second hand off here, there are usually a lot about. Eibach are the best ones, but almost any will do. Torsion bar can be a pain, but using a slide hammer or one of Tom Fentons puller tools (and some heat) will help. However buy all your bearings and seals first as they will need changing for sure. There is a good guide on the main part of the site on how to rebuild it

cybernck

While we're on topic, what effect do GTI lowering springs have on XS?

Will they lower the car equally or not (because of the heavier engine) and presumably different height to start with?

gavbrum

Hello and welcome,

If you are getting bumpers or trim etc that you are keeping black get some plasticare off the forum as it is much better than painting. Search "plasticare" on the forum search to see results.

It only costs £11 or so. Just done all my trim and it looks fantastic.

I also recommend you create an account on service box. Its the peugeot part finder website and it is invaluable. Great for searching for and ordering parts, which you will no doubt be doing. It's like the google of peugeot.

Edited by gavbrum

adammay

Those alloys are so beautiful on that 205! love how much its slammed by aswel! And i was actuly reading about that plasticare stuff

looks the buiness ;)

Anyone know about the gearbox then :)

S@m

I've got a set of those wheels in my garage if you are interested.... :P Shameless i know!

Sam

MiniGibbo

Ive got apex springs on my 205 Rallye and think theyre great tbh.

BlueBolt

£140????????

Bargain!!!

Start a thread for your works to it as soon as you start them?? I'm going to be looking for a 1.1 in the next few months as a work horse, but as my other half has rightly pointed out... It'll never stay standard in my hands!!!

Weser

You will have rubbing issues on the rear if you go for alloys and lower the car. Especially with passengers in the back. I would fit 185 tyres on the alloys as that will help loads! Also like mentioned go for 14" wheels that will help. Although I did have 15's on my base model with 185's and it was ok until the rear beam wore out.

allye

If its any help, I run 14x6j wheels on a lowered car and they rub.

Rich_p

106 rallye steels look very good on a lowered base model car.

Edit just re read the post and you mention you don't like steels - doh!

Edited by Rich_p

Baz

Those wheels look awful, so does the handling at that ride height. HTH. :P

• Like 1

adammay

Changed my mind steelies are looking so sweet! Where can i et a cheap set?

BlueBolt

Changed my mind steelies are looking so sweet! Where can i et a cheap set?

Depends on if you're after standard or raylle?? Local scrap yard will have standard surely??

adammay

Even better, my mate has a pug 206 i sold him some 15 inch ripspeed alloys and he left his steelies at my garage, just paid him £20 for them! Should paint up nicey two new tyres are the other tyre have plenty left on! Picture tomorrow!

Lan

I run 5.5j rallye steels and they also rub at the rear (lowered) if vehicle is loaded with more than one rear passenger which in itself is a rare occurence

welshpug

sounds like you need a new beam if they rub.

Lan

sounds like you need a new beam if they rub.

nope its fine recent rebuild, one of my friends is just a fat bugger and wen he parks his arse in the back one side of the car and its loaded with luggage it rubs on the outside of the wheel