• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dave205

Clutch Problem

dave205

I have a problem with the clutch on my turbo engine, im running a gti-6 flywheel with an mi16 clutch and 1.8 dturbo gearbox. With the cable not adjusted up you cant select any gears and the car creeps forward with the clutch in if you start it in gear. I then adjusted it up on the gearbox, the problem was basically the same but you couldnt put the clutch down more than half way for fear of snapping the cable.

Any ideas?

Tom Fenton

First thing, are all the gearbox bolts in and tight?

Has this problem just started on a car that has been working a while, or is it a new conversion that doesn't work and has never worked?

Next question, are you sure the gearbox has the right release fork in? A pull type fork looks very similar to a push type fork, but they don't work if they aren't matching the clutch.

dave205

I checked the bolts there all tight and present.

The car is a new conversion and has never worked yet.

Are diesels gearbox fork selectors different from gti ones then?

allye

Are diesels gearbox fork selectors different from gti ones then?

If the diesel gearbox came from a 205 then they are the same. Check the clutch cable is fitted correctly as in, pushed right into the pedal box, and the rubber bit is located correctly in plastic clip area on the gear box. Mine wasn't in the pedal box correctly and gave a horrible bight right near the floor on a new clutch.

Tom Fenton

Did you remove the TD box? Did it have a pull type clutch on the engine it came from? Have you made sure the bolt near the driveshaft that goes the opposite way to the others is there?

dave205

I did remove the gearbox myself, the fork pushed the trust release bearing along the shaft into the clutch itself if that makes sense? The arm on the top of the gearbox moves back towards the bulkhead when the clutch is depressed. I havent checked that bolt, will it make that much difference?

dave205

If the diesel gearbox came from a 205 then they are the same. Check the clutch cable is fitted

correctly as in, pushed right into the pedal box, and the rubber bit is located correctly in plastic clip area on the gear box. Mine wasn't in the pedal box correctly and gave a horrible bight right near the floor on a new clutch.

It was removed from a diesel 205 yes, i havent checked the cable yet so will do that tonight when i get home.

dave205

Ive checked the cable is in ok on the ends and not snagging, and all the bolts are present and correct. Anymore ideas?

Anthony

Remove the cable from the gearbox end, and check that the pedal will freely depress and pull the cable through.

Assuming it does - and I'm sure it will - then gearbox off time I'd say, and check the release bearing and pressure plate.

ade 4wd

Check the clutch lever on top of the gearbox isnt fouling on anything, therefor stopping it from moving as far as it should. If all ok there, then its geabox off, and check the release bearing.

dave205

Remove the cable from the gearbox end, and check that the pedal will freely depress and pull the cable through.

The pedal drops straight to the floor when i disconnect the cable at ths gearbox end. Is that

normal?

dave205

Just also seen a 2mm gap between the block and gearbox underneath, you can see the flywheel through it?!

pug_ham
The pedal drops straight to the floor when i disconnect the cable at ths gearbox end. Is that normal?

Yes, with no tension in the cable it won't stay up on its own.

There shouldn't be any gap between the block & gearbox anywhere once it's all bolted up tightly, the only place you'll see the flywheel is underneath by the sump with the cover off.

How high have you set the pedal when you tighten the cable up?

g

dave205

Check the clutch lever on top of the gearbox isnt fouling on anything, therefor stopping it from moving as far as it should. If all ok there, then its geabox off, and check the release bearing.

The lever isnt fouling anything but its so stiff i cant move it more than an inch back and im using a a4ft bar to lever it with. I know its a new cclutch but surely it shouldnt be that tight?

dave205

Yes, with no tension in the cable it won't stay up on its own.

There shouldn't be any gap between the block & gearbox anywhere once it's all bolted up tightly, the only place you'll see the flywheel is underneath by the sump with the cover off.

How high have you set the pedal when you tighten the cable up?

g

Everywere that the bolt holes are the faces are up againest each other and the bolts are tight. There are no bolt holes between 4 oclock and 9 oclock if you get me?

I havent adjusted the pedal in anyway i didnt realise you could?

dave205

Anybody?

Anthony

As was said before, if you've done the basic checks then drop the gearbox and see what the score is.

dave205

Ive had another look tonight, the clutch depresses and you can select gear fine, but only when the engine isnt running, does it just need adjustment?

And on a seperate note, i fitted those calipers with the correct discs after my confusion! There just the job, so thank you for that and the advice. :)

dave205

I adjusted the cable right out and can now select all gears with the engine running, took it for a spin about a mile up the road only to find its slipping when accelarating hard. I cant adjust the cable any more and im worried tge clutch will be damaged now? Or prone to slipping?

Paul_13

You may of adjusted it so it's pushing on the release bearing constantly. Adjust it so there's less thread showing.

If your having problems still I can have a look on Sunday.

dave205

Im at the end of thread now so cant adjust it any further.

Yeah would be good, i'll add it to the list of other jobs! :(

Anthony

If you've wound it all the way on the thread then it almost certainly will slip, as that's liable to be far too tight and in effect is like you're constantly riding the clutch (hence the slip)

Adjust it so that the clutch pedal is a smidgen higher than the brake pedal and the bite point is about a third of the way up from the floor, and that should be about in the right ballpark.

dave205

Its wound out as far as it can go, do ypu mean to wind it right back in the other way so its constantly engaged more? When its adjuusyed in you cant select any gears or even depress the pedal past half way, so im not really sure, think im getting confused!!

Anthony

If the cable is adjusted so that the nuts are wound all the way on so the thread is fully visible (ie forward of the nuts) then it's too tight and will explain the slip as it's like having you foot rested on the clutch.

If the cable is adjusted so that the nuts are wound all the way off so that the thread is not visible (ie rearwards of the nuts) then it's too loose and will explain why you can't get gears with the engine running, as the clutch won't be dis-engaging.

dave205

Right im with you know, i'll have a look at that tommorow then, hopefully make some progress rather than going backwards!

Sign in to follow this