• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
p1234

Gti6 Over Heating

p1234

I pulled my 205 out of storage to get it ready for the first track day of the year next week,

It started on the button, left it running for a while, fan is on constant, and the needle started heading over the half way mark which it rarly did before.

All the pipes heated up well, blead the system but didnt help much.

I presume there is supposed to be flow through the small top pipe on the expansion bottle as when I popped it off there was no flow through it.

Did some searching and would I be right in thinking the water pump has packed in? Do remember it heating up the last track day last year.

Peter.

Toddy

Have you removed the radiator cap to check that coolant is brimming to the the top?

p1234

Yeap, it was rising up with revs alright, at one point no water came out of the bleed screw at the thermostat which got me thinking it could be the pump.

Oil looks clean, no water or sludge.

welshpug

the engine isn't warm till about 2/3rds up the gauge, thermostat opens at 83,

I wouldn't worry about it till the cooling fans don't regulate the temperature.

it does sound like it still has air in the system though, water wont flow out of the small pipe that quickly at all especially if the thermostat is still closed, its only a bleed pipe.

p1234

It was getting over the 2/3rds mark and it was just ticking over, never got that high before even on track.

The innards of that small bleed pipe were wet alright but no flow which I thought there would be.

Sign in to follow this