• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

RummyonFire

Dimma Mi16

RummyonFire

Hi

Ive been a member of the forums for a couple of months and i thought it was about time i posted about my ongoing project that ive wanted to do for years

Any feedback would be great :)

As i was sick about running about in a 1.2 corsa sxi while my gf is learning to drive i decided to have a treat up and running for when she passes

The engine started life in my Friends 205 he had just been banned but had been off the road prior for a couple of months when it just stopped working

My original intention was to fully rebuild the 205 with the fitting of a fiberglass dimma kit that i had got with the car.

Photo0087.jpg

Photo0090.jpg

Photo0093.jpg

As the engine was getting looked at i managed to source a set of compomotive dimma alloys, turns out the guy, Dave is a bit of a 205 enthusiast who i think is a member of this forum i ended up buying a full set of 205 half leather interior with a carpet.

IMG_4980.jpg

After getting to know him a bit and we discussed projects he let me know he had a dimma that had been in dry storage and wanted to know if i was interested...

click

click

click

After getting it shifted up to my house i started on a full strip of the body and dash the front bumper is a write off but the rest of the body work was in really good nick

click

click

click

As the engine work progressed i had a compression issue after stripping the top end, changing the injector rail and injectors, and even going out and getting a brand new air mass meter it still seems to be overfulling and just necking the petrol.Long term is 45webers but i just wanted the engine up and running before it was transferred to the dimma

i now finally have the mi16 back at mine, after transferring the entire dash engine and front (wanted original lights not morettes) it has come back to me in this state:

click

click

click

the engine is now in the car and was running until the petrol pump went, got a replacment today

thanks to st performance i got back the all important plaque to show its a true dimma!

click

End game is to have it resprayed white (the split rims are black) decaled up like the t16.

Thants it for now but will hopefully update soon! let me know what you think!

Edited by Anthony
Fixed image tags and links

RummyonFire

wont let me post anymore pics:(

Anthony

wont let me post anymore pics:(

That's because you're trying to post HTML code, not forum links - IIRC Photobucket gives you both options.

Although you are limited in the number of pictures per post too.

Also, they're somewhat on the large size - try and keep images to 640x480 or so ideally, or 800x600 max.

RummyonFire

Yeah i realised that after i posted :blush:

i tried to change them to correct link but said i wasnt allowed any more pics hehe

Im not used to forums and links etc so apologises for any mistakes :)

Anthony

I've gone through and sorted the image tags and converted some to links

Try and keep it to just a small number of pictures per post, and the image size down to 640x480 or so.

RummyonFire

will do thanks for that, much appreciated.

what do you think to the project?

Anthony

You're going to be busy the next few months that's for sure!

I'm not entirely convinced by the plan for the T16 style decals on a Dimma body, but each to their own and otherwise it sounds good and should be quite a transformation when finished from how it started out!

RummyonFire

Ive loved the T16 since i was a kid

I never thought id be in a position to own a dimma, Not an actual one as their so rare. And if the graphics are done correctly i think look really good, i got mine from goodhand.co.uk, still though its one of the very last jobs so i can decide at the last minute if i want to put them on.

cybernck

Nice find, looking forward to more updates!

P.S. What rear wiper are you going to use in the end? :)

Henry Yorke

Ahh so it has come up from Glos to Yorks then :) Looks a good project :)

RummyonFire

I dont think im going to put a rear wiper on, i havent decided yet to be honest if i do though it will prob be an original

Yeah it came up fron glos i have to say thanks to dave for bringing it up for me really did me a favour is he on these forums? whats his username?

I said id keep him updated as it went along but with my mortgage going through etc it has cut my finances down a tad so taking a bit longer than expected. Still though im hoping to have it up and running within the next couple of months pending my finances

Im currently in 2 minds as i would like it in white with the T16 rally decals but one of my prev 205 gti's was in a limited edition gunmetal grey i think it was and i really liked that colour so im not too sure, any suggestions?

Anthony

If you've always wanted the white with decals then go for that.

Personally, I think Dimma's look great in a medium-dark metallic grey, something like Winchester or Graphite Grey.

3368739346_09fc5575ac.jpg

• Like 1

kyepan

there is something about a nice wide dimma arse that has universal appeal.

RummyonFire

The TT Dimma above is the same kind of colour that my old gti was like

Does anyone know the colour code for it?

I remember going to halfords to get a spray can mixed up to repair a few issues with the body work at the time

My split rims are powder coated black so would look nice with either colour

I ust think that whether its a gti or a dimma its always a head turner the fact that dimmas are so rare these days makes me pleased im an owner of one.

I also have a miami blue 1.6 which is at my bros house which we are going to fully rebuild together thats going to be 100% standard and badged up as a 1.6 But i am going to get the 1.9 engine from the dimma rebuilt and dropped in so its a bit of a sleeper.

Zara

i agree with anthony. im not sure on T16 decals on a Dimma. Surely making it look like something its not and thus potentially ruining the look of a rare Genuine DIMMA! :) I believe the decals should be on a T16 kitted 205. :)

Having said that should still be a good project and look smart when finished? I have been advised to stay away from putting a heavier lump in as they weigh so much as it is and if you plan on tracking the car it is alot of extra weight and stress on the kit. :D Im currently do mine and have decided to stay standard engine and power. Ive seen the stress and state of the joins from tracking the car! :( not good!

Keep it original and as is :D :D :D :D

Zara

point made! very nice! im convinced :D lol

• Like 1

RummyonFire

That is a good example i am aiming towards a mix of that and this:

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w422/Rummyonfire/205%20mi16%20dimma/dimma_20.jpg

I am going slightly different though even though that one does have some of the sponsors I have got replicas from the monte carlo 85 rally including the bonnet/boot graphics.

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w422/Rummyonfire/205%20mi16%20dimma/IMAG0036.jpg

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w422/Rummyonfire/205%20mi16%20dimma/IMAG0037.jpg

I know its not going to be an actual T16 but then again i dont have £80k plus to buy one hehe,

cybernck

That one definitely looks better :).

lewis205cti

Sound like a good project. I love the dimma's. Si need to finish mine and get it back on the road. I'd be tempted with laser or graphite for the colour. Would both look good with the black Dimma alloys ;)

RummyonFire

Hi all

Its been a while since i originally started the thread of my project. I decided to update once i thought anything significant had happend

As a quick overview the mi16 engine i had was overfulling badly with no obvious cause and replacing the injectors and rail, buying a brand new afm along with several other things i decided to bring the long term plan forwards by putting 45's on which i got from a very helpful forum member. I would like to Add my thanks to him for not only making things as simple as possible for a relative noob in relation to knowing exactly what i needed when it comes to carbs, but upon receiving what i bought WOW even the guy helping me with the engine work was impressed with it all. I didnt know whether to mention his U/N but THANKS!

Anyway, mainly due to work and the extra expense of buying has been slow going but finally it all seems to be coming together...

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w422/Rummyonfire/205%20mi16%20dimma/IMAG0045_zps6ba4a1c7.jpg

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w422/Rummyonfire/205%20mi16%20dimma/IMAG0044_zpsd50ff49b.jpg

carbs when first fitted

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w422/Rummyonfire/205%20mi16%20dimma/IMAG0072_zps22dc4ae4.jpg

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w422/Rummyonfire/205%20mi16%20dimma/IMAG0073_zpsdb04baac.jpg

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w422/Rummyonfire/205%20mi16%20dimma/IMAG0075_zps881b49ed.jpg

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w422/Rummyonfire/205%20mi16%20dimma/IMAG0074_zps96252a09.jpg

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w422/Rummyonfire/205%20mi16%20dimma/IMAG0070_zps98db96f8.jpg

sorry for the rubbish pics need to reduce brightness

finally some bits ive received

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w422/Rummyonfire/205%20mi16%20dimma/IMAG0076_zpsa7a5aa27.jpg

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w422/Rummyonfire/205%20mi16%20dimma/IMAG0077_zpsa46481f5.jpg

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w422/Rummyonfire/205%20mi16%20dimma/IMAG0078_zps5b3d0254.jpg

thats all for now

still dont know what colour to go for :blink:

Stu

Good to see it coming along fella!

Yeah it took me ages to get all the bits together, and im lucky enough to have a laser cutter and press brake at my disposal which made making the custom bits a bit easier!

Is it all up and running now then fella?

RummyonFire

Hi!!

Yeah engine running flawless no issues at all....

and the sound :D, the car as a whole is driveable and is just about mot standard but im holding off until everything is done and i can just appreciate it as a complete project.

Just need to sort bits and bats with body work before respray.

Interesting fact, found out from the dvla that it was last taxed in 1999 so will be great once back on the road!!

kuuner

Nice job to restore a Dimma in original condition. I see you have a 'small' mk2 Dimma. And you have bought a 'wide' front bumper. Is it original (can't see that on the picture) or imitation one?

About the colour; this is the most difficult part of the restauration. Don't let you guide with others. Do it for yourself. What you like to see on a Dimma. At the end it's your car. Personally i really like the grey colour. Think it's not a M0TW, but a M0TA. Was thinkin' about to use that colour on mine a couple of years ago. Still looks great on a Dimma.

RummyonFire

Its a fiberglass replica to be honest

it was either a brand new one (about £500) or the carbs

I also figured that i would no doubt damage the bumper in some way within the first couple of months of having it on the road (speed bumps etc) so i will invest in a proper one later down the line

I didnt know there variations ala 'small' mk2 Dimma? are not they not all built to same spec?

i think its more the horrid brightness that my phone cam was set on, i didnt realise until i uploaded them when i got home, no darkness on the white to show contrast within the bumper etc, also not having the front grill on doesn't bring it all together if you get what i mean?

Also ive been looking at the new 208's im quite partial to the "shark grey" they have as an option ive def decided against the t16 decals/rally look