• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JeffR

Be1 & 3 Linkage Control-2 Types?

JeffR

I went and picked up a new linkage control for the 405 Mi16 this morning. Forgetting to take the part number with me, they've given me one with a slightly larger ball-part no. 2449 73 telling me that mine was worn down. I checked it against another one I had which was the same diameter but the flat spots from wear makes it unusable.

a>

On checking with ServiceBox the new one is listed for a Be1 box. For a Be3 it's part no. 2449 74. Was there a change in the mechanism between the 2 box types? My original one fitted into the housing (the one with the washers welded inside), but is quite loose whereas the new one would be a better fit. Don't want to try yet, just in case I need to return it.

a>

Can anyone shed some light on this please?

Thanks

Miles

The only difference I know of is some 405's used a mix of ball joints and a round post with a clip on and and ball's, the box's all used ball's the same size, M6 and M8

JeffR

Damn! Pics don't seem to be working. :(

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff499/Pgti6/DSCF0713.jpg

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff499/Pgti6/DSCF0714.jpg

Thanks Miles. I'm aware of the 2 types of linkage arrangements. This is the big black ball which moves the linkages and is mounted to the subframe.

I found a different type of fitting from the spares car for the ball to sit in. It doesn't have the washers welded in & the new ball control unit fits perfectly, so I'm guessing that someone has welded them in to reduce the free play from a worn ball.

Gearchanges should be great now with your gear rods as well. :)

JeffR

Just a small update regarding the ball sizes.

The large black ball is made from 2 components-a hard smaller diameter plastic inner ball with a soft(er) outer-probably for NVH. Once the outer has worn/disintergrated and the smaller inner ball has to do the work the gearchanges are vague & sloppy.

welshpug

so the original ball has worn and someone tacked some washers in?

JeffR

Yeah, typical Aussie ingenuity! :P. I guess someone didn't want to pay for a new one.

Sign in to follow this