• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
grahamlaw

Think It's Dead.

grahamlaw

After months of trying to get my 1.6 to start I'm thinking of giving up. Yesterday I fitted a re-con afm and a new ignition amp. I also cleaned every sensor connection I could find. After an hour or so it actually fired up. For some reason it wouldn't hold a good idle speed and I used the loud pedal to keep it going.

After fighting with it for a couple of minutes there was a massive bang out the back end followed by brown smoke which then turned blue. When I went back under the bonnet there was oil all over the place. Also, when I was fighting for idle the oil pressure gauge was bouncing like a rev counter.

My first thought was an oil ring so I did a compression test. I've got 3 cylinders around 12 bar and one on 11.4. It doesn't seem to be that different from my last test a couple of months ago. If anything its better.

It also drives but with a flat spot. What's gone wrong?

DamirGTI

An big air/vacuum leak .. recheck all the air/oil breather hoses and clamps , seems like you have a loosen , broken/cracked or incorrectly routed hoses ...

damir B)

kyepan

Is the ignition timing way out?

Has the cam belt jumped a tooth?

whip the top cover off and check the pins line up ok with the crank pulley.

If it's an 8v, check no one has removed the bolt that goes through the hose bracket into the inlet manifold as that will lead to having to hold the throttle open to compensate for the air leak the missing bolt gives.

Also did it ever run? someone might have wound the idle screw way out on the AFM, somewhere on here there is a guide on how to reset an afm for idle.

205kenny

Did you do any work on the car just before the starting issue's started?

grahamlaw

Well, back in November I tried to re-track the AFM. Before that I had a flat spot at 4500 rpm which moved to 3500 rpm after the re-track. I then bought a cheap ignition amp after I posted the problem here. It made no difference. After a few days of driving it, it failed to start at work with no spark. When the RAC looked at it he got a spark and it started.

The day before it stopped starting I was on my way home when a CTI tried to race me. I didn't want a race but I tried to keep with him and tried to pull him over to maybe get an opinion. He just drove off. I was pushing it as hard as possible but just couldn't catch him. So after that thrash it didn't start again.

The only breather pipe I can find that's broken is the small one coming off the oil filler cap but that's been broken since I bought the car back in June. The broken part is the cap and Peugeot don't sell them anymore.

On the timing side I don't know if it's jumped a tooth and I'm not really clued up enough to check it. A mate of mine might be able to check it for me next week. The car does run but there is now massive plumes of blue smoke out the back. I always thought blue smoke was either a piston ring or valves. I didn't know it could be a breather problem. The flat spot is also still there. I'm worried now that whatever is wrong with it is beyond my ability.

Tom Fenton

Dip the oil level, how much is in there, and is it really watery??

grahamlaw

I wouldn't say it watery, but it does smell a bit like petrol.

I've just been back out there and it now obvious oil has shot out the broken breather on the filler cap. It's also gone down the bigger breather to the inlet. I assume this is causing the blue smoke? I'm also assuming the SAD is now full of oil?

Also, the back hose on the sad has a loose clip but the pipe is well on there, I couldn't pull it off anyway. Can't find anything else though.

Tom Fenton

What is the level like? My hypothesis is that it is overfuelling massively, this is why it doesn't want to run, it has diluted the oil down so its pushing past the rings which is giving your clouds of smoke. It is also piss thin so it is pushing it up all the breathers hence why it is everywhere around your engine bay.

All is not lost, my old 1600 did exactly this, new plugs, new oil and filter, different air flow meter and a check with my wideband lambda that the fuelling was correct and it did another 10k miles before I pulled it to replace with my turbo motor.

Others may disagree but this re tracking of air flow meters is garbage in my experience, simply it doesn't work reliably. Bin it and get another one, either pot luck second hand or lay out for a reman.

• Like 1

grahamlaw

It's has new plugs, leads and filters. I've also put a re-con AFM on there, I agree tracking is a waste of time. The only other thing I can think of causing over fueling is water temp sensor?

That oil breather kit is tempting, even if I don't need them red pipes would look nice.

Daviewonder

Air flow meter isn't stuck open is it?

grahamlaw

Nope, it's closing but I've been there before, :lol:

kyepan

keep going with this, you're definitely getting there, is there anyone local who has a spare known good AFM.. put up a wanted and see who bites!

Carbs4me

sure i have a 1.9 8v AFM knocking about somewhere!

Get me the part number and i will check it with what i have.

Sign in to follow this