• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
N3VRAM

How Does The Xs Make 85Hp And Rallye Make 75Hp?

N3VRAM

Having an argument with my dads mate, he drives an ax gt which (as far as im concerned anyway) is the exact same engine fitted to the 205XS.

When i try and tell him that his AX makes 85hp and my rallye only 75hp he disagrees and says they kick out the same, obviously i know this is wrong but... what gives the ally blocked xs the +10hp!?

I know this has been asked before, but i can't use the search thing to find out?

Cheers,

Matt.

welshpug

and different carb.

allye

and different carb.

Are you sure? Solex Z2 on both no?

welshpug

thought it was a weber 34 TLP3 or a solex 34 PBISA 17

which engine code does the rallye have?

allye

I think* its was TU3M, certainly a 32/34 z2 solex though.

burr_2000

the rallye did have the 32/34 z2 solex, i have my old engine in my shed, i think it was only the cam that made the difference.

RossD

Even though the carb model is the same between the two engines, there are detailed changes such as jet sizes, emulsion tubes etc etc, so they are actually internally different.

MiniGibbo

Dunno but im glad mine makes 100hp :D

kenp

Are we 100% sure that the Rallye only made 75bhp out of the box? I know the injected 1.4 only made that but I always assumed that was down to the Cat etc... Is the cam and head definitely different between the Rallye and the XS?

I have a rolling road print out in the paperwork that came with mine showing 85bhp - it's an iron block TU3 but now I'm wondering if the head/cam has been changed.

Edited by kenp

Miles

The Rallye was not a XS engine thou, just a normal TU engine spec, I could be sad and look in my records to make sure

allye

Rallye was 100% 75hp, and as I mention above it was a TU3M engine as used in normal 1.4 205's just with the big carb.

Its the head and cam yes, ali block just made it a fair bit lighter.

BERTMAN

i always thought the engine code was TU3.2. Isnt TU3M the single point fuel injection later 1.4 75hp engine?

tomcolinjones

i always thought the engine code was TU3.2. Isnt TU3M the single point fuel injection later 1.4 75hp engine?

Xs and Ax Gt both have TU3s engines in (85hp) ( ally block and different cam / valves) as opposed to the 205 rallye (uk spec) and iirc the gr and the gt had the cast iron block, (75hp) along with smaller valves, less lively cam and different jets in the carb. there is a noticable difference as the extra weight and less poke make the xs i bit quicker than the rallye e.t.c also the 205 xs and ax gt has a shorter final drive as opposed to the other 1360 engines that have long final drives, making it a fair bit nippier. hth

RossD

Just a quick correction Tom, all versions of the 1.4 in the 205 had the same valves (Be it TU3S, TU3A, TU3M, TU3.2 etc) The big valve (39.3mm inlet) 1.4 head's were only used on the 95bhp and 100bhp versions of this engine, i.e TU3J2, used in the sporty 106's.

tomcolinjones

Ah thanks for that RossD! Its been a while since ive done anything in depth with Tu engines :-( So its the XSI 1.4 and Rallye 1.3 106 engines that have the bigger valves, same head as the 1.6 8v then?

RossD

Yes, that and the TU24 engine in the 205 rallye. Minor differences in the port shape and valve seat angles between them all too, I think the 205 rallye used a far better 70 degree seat cut, whilst all the others used a 30 degree cut.

eLi_205

Yes, that and the TU24 engine in the 205 rallye. Minor differences in the port shape and valve seat angles between them all too, I think the 205 rallye used a far better 70 degree seat cut, whilst all the others used a 30 degree cut.

Excuse me for my lack of knowledge, but what do you mean by X degrees of cut? cut of what?

Baz

The degree of angle in which the valve seats were cut. :)

• Like 1

Matteo

Rallye was 100% 75hp, and as I mention above it was a TU3M engine as used in normal 1.4 205's just with the big carb.

Its the head and cam yes, ali block just made it a fair bit lighter.

205 Rallye for Europen mainland were 102 Hp, (76 Kw). It was a 1294 cc TU24 engine type.

allye

205 Rallye for Europen mainland were 102 Hp, (76 Kw). It was a 1294 cc TU24 engine type.

We are discussing UK Rallye's

309jazzpanda

So could you put the vtr head on 1360, obviously seal up the

Injector holes so you have biggeg valves

eLi_205

So could you put the vtr head on 1360, obviously seal up the

Injector holes so you have biggeg valves

I've tried just that some few monthes ago, the bolts for the manifold are in different places so you can't fit the mono-injector manifold on multiinjection head.