• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
flyfisher

205 Mi16 Gearboxmi

flyfisher

hi my 205mi16 is driveing me mad prob is the gearbox thats fitted is to short its a 1.6 box i have a be3 mi16 g/box that i have thought about fitting in place of it. il add 1.6 box is a be3 also. will this g/box be a straight swop or will mods have to be made.i have been told 1st to 3rd gear is the same as my 1.6 g/box but 4th and 5th are a lot longer is this right many thanks peter

Baz

The selector arm on the top of the box will need changing to the 205 flat type if it isn't already. It is a bit longer yes, but not drastically different!

It takes a bit of getting used to admittedly, but i've never had a problem with 1.6 boxes, what's the issue?

flyfisher

it seems to high geared its screaming in 5th at 90mph 4th and 5th need to be a lot longer

welshpug

slow down ;)

it'll be doing 4700 @ 90, mi16 box will drop that to 4491

Edited by welshpug

macaroni

Hi Peter, I've a 1.6 box in my mi16 and whilst it is a bit short on the motorway, its perfect for Brands Hatch!

I have redlined it in 5th...

flyfisher

hi antony how it going. what speed was you doing redlineing in 5th. i suppose im being fussy rearly but when on m\way it drives me crazy. but as welshpug says swopping will only drop revs by 200rpm so not rearly worth it will just have to grin and bare it

rgp205

The Mi16 has a larger final drive ratio than the 1.6, so any benefit in taller gears is lost in the final drive, if you want more relaxed cruising you need a 1.9 box with the 3.7 final drive (same gear ratios as the 1.6 but the 1.6 has a 4.1 final drive).

BE1 box on earlier cars (up to 1989 I think) and BE3 on later cars, 1.6 & 1.9 boxes swap straight over if they're from the same generation.

Sign in to follow this