• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cocopops2001

1.6 Gearbox Choices

cocopops2001

Hello All,

I have recently purchased a 1.6 CTi and while all is more or less fine there is a little bit of crunch when changing from 3rd to 4th gear (and sometimes from 2nd to 3rd if Im a bit rough with it).

I have been working away for a bit so not had much opportunity to route around but I'm hoping its something simple like linkages are worn.

While on motorway the engine is a little revvy due to the ratios, I have noticed a couple of people on her mention the same thing.

Is it worth changing the box for a Saxo one? (Also saw that on here :-) ). I would like to keep the off the mark quick acceleration but would like the final drive to be a little quieter when on faster roads. The car is going to be a more or less everyday runabout though at the moment its only used for weekends.

Is it worth doing this change and is it a straight swap of boxes or will I have to modify clutch etc?

Any info on this would be great. Thanks.

Anthony

Saxo and 106's use an MA series bearbox, whereas a 205 GTi is a BE series gearbox.

Even if you could swap it (easily) then I wouldn't, as MA boxes are made from chocolate frankly.

cocopops2001

ok. so what would you recommend if it turns out that the gearbox is knackered? try and source another 205 box/get mine refurbished? If I was changing the box I would ideally like one that is from a newer car.

would putting in a 1.9 box solve the high revs on the motorway issue or do you think I should just live with it?

is there anywhere I can see the ratio's for the two boxes?

Anthony

Personally, putting a much longer gearbox on will just make a comparitively gutless but rev-happy engine like a 1.6 GTi feel underwhelming and dull.

It's obviously a subjective thing, but I've never found the short 5th to be an issue on the motorway and previously I've been doing over 20k a year and driven across Europe like that - having an interior/sound deadening and a standard exhaust helps massively though it has to be said, as it's nasty in a stripped out car with a loud, boomy exhaust.

1.6 and 1.9 GTi gearboxes have similar ratios - the main difference is the final drive (4.06 vs 3.69) which makes the 1.9 gearbox approximately 10% longer in each gear. Might not sound like much, but believe me, it makes a huge difference going from one to the other.

Personally, I'd just get another 1.6 gearbox, but if you really must change it to something more modern and want a taller gear for cruising, then a Xsara VTS gearbox would probably be a good choice. The ratios aren't as closely stacked as the GTi gearboxes, so you get a comparitively short 1/2/3 and a longer 4/5

There's a very good gear ratio spreadsheet/calculator out there somewhere - I'll try and find it...

cocopops2001

Thanks.

The thing about sound deadening may be a bit of a non issue as wind noise becomes almost unbearable at around 80mph as it is the soft top. I don't plan on doing much mods to the car as I have bought it as just a bit of fun and dont have a space to do the kind of work needed to prepare a track/road race type car.

I was really just wanting some info what to look for if indeed the gearbox does go.

Bit of a tangent here but do you know of anyone who has fitted a turbo to the 1.6 engine or am I heading down a road that shouldn't really be travelled?

Anthony

There's an good project thread by Tom Fenton where he's turbocharged a 1.6 engine with excellent results here that's well worth reading :)

welshpug

yes, Tom Fenton, have a look at the project threads section.

Sign in to follow this