• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
luggy

1.9 Gti With Cat Running Motronic Retarded Ignition? Compared To Stand

luggy

Replaced timing belt for a fellow forum member (Alfie) over the weekend and noticed when the crank was lined up to replace the cambelt the timing hole on the camshaft pulley was about 8mm past the timing locating hole on the head.

When fitting the new belt the white lines on it did line up with markings on the camshaft pulley and on the crank pulley.

Now due to it being the later 1.9 with cat I'm assuming that the timing has been retarded for it to reduce emissions hence the lower 122 hp output

Has anybody else come across this?

If they have would it have that much of an effect on emissions if the cam was advanced?

welshpug

has the head been off and had a heavy skim?

timing wont have been altered in the way you think there, they just ran a different cam and of course, the ignition is controlled by the ecu.

luggy

has the head been off and had a heavy skim?

timing wont have been altered in the way you think there, they just ran a different cam and of course, the ignition is controlled by the ecu.

Dont know the history of it, I'll see if Alfie can shed any light on any previous work done if any

Even though management is motronic it doesnt have a fixed dizzy like the MI, it can be adjusted like a standard 8v.

welshpug

adjusting it wont alter the timing though :)

luggy

adjusting it wont alter the timing though :)

No f***in s*it! :P

Miles

Timing is the same as any XU engine, So sounds like someone made a mistake

petert

As Miles said, they're identical to other 8V's and use the same pulley. You should be able to engage the top and bottom pin as normal.

luggy

Good enough for me!

Cheers guys

Alfie thats another bottle of whiskey you owe me! ha :D

Alfie

luggy, how much more brmm brmm per glug glug then??? Hic!

Edited by Alfie

Sign in to follow this