• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TRMB84GTI

1.6 Gti Head Gasket...

TRMB84GTI

Hi all,

I have got to get my pug a new head gasket as its running like crap, and that my mechanic says its needed one for a while. I was just wondering on average what that would cost me? Also is there is anything else I should bother doing with it while its under the knife?

Any advice very welcome!

Cheers,

Tom

welshpug

I did an XU10J4RS a few weeks back, labour I charge is £150, £100 to have the head pressure tested and skimmed, plus £100-140 of parts.

Anthony

It is somewhat of a case of how long is a piece of string I'm afraid, as you're never quite sure what you're going to find when you pull the head off a 20+ year old engine. You could find the head corroded to excess, you could snap a headbolt or exhaust manifold studs (both fairly common I'm afraid), or it could be that the head gasket failed because a liner has sunk.

Assuming that's all OK and everything is serviceable, it makes sense while the head is off to overhaul it, as most original heads are getting a bit tired now. A sensible minimum would be to check/replace valve guides (exhaust side seems to suffer on 8v heads), recut/relap valves, replace stem and camshaft seals, and check/correct valve clearances. Replacement cambelt/tensioner/waterpump would be wise if it's not been done recently, especially as you'll have effectively done half the task already in order to remove the head.

Price will vary massively depending on what's needed and who's doing the work.

TRMB84GTI

This is when I wish I knew what I was doing when it comes to working on car's lol!! Looks as though I am going to be doing bugger all with the car for the time being then. I need to get the rear beam done, brake lines are starting to go, exhaust manifold its cracked and I am sure there are a couple more things lol!! I love the car too much not to do the work, but looks like I am going to be push biking it to work for the rest of the year... :(

Thanks very much for your advice chaps!

Anthony

Also, worth confirming that the headgasket has definately gone, as many mechanics mistakenly diagnose mayo in the filler tower/pipes as being indicative of a faulty headgasket when in fact it's actually very common on these engines during cold winter months.

TRMB84GTI

Hi Anthony

Yeah I deffo on the way out, the chap that work on my car is Andy Baker at AB motorsport, he is a decent guy so he will prob have it right?

I am getting some money that the bank owe me so if there is enough will get the job done... Need it to run sweet so I can do some sprints in it next season

Miles

I'd get another 1.6 engine and work on that and stick it in, At least then you'll know it's good and if anything happens during the rebuild it's easy to buy another block/engine as the last 5 I've had I've given away

TRMB84GTI

I'd get another 1.6 engine and work on that and stick it in, At least then you'll know it's good and if anything happens during the rebuild it's easy to buy another block/engine as the last 5 I've had I've given away

Cheers Miles,

How much would it cost to get another engine fitted though?

Miles

No worse than doing the H/G really, maybe another 2 hours labour as it's shafts out and that's about it

TRMB84GTI

Is it an awful lot more work to fint a 1.9 engine in its place? Or is it not work it?

Anthony

It's basically a like for like swap, just change the ECU and AFM to 1.9 items to match the 1.9 injectors on the new engine.

welshpug

would that not put you in a different class?

TRMB84GTI

would that not put you in a different class?

Yeah it would just seem to find 1.9 engines that have been worked on or more readilly available. I might be talking crap though :D Just want to explore diff options and want to make the most of the small amount of dosh I am going to have to put into this.

Sign in to follow this