• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Will Eastman

Airbox On Mi16/gti-6

Will Eastman

As im putting an Mi16 engine in my 205 I was wondering if there is any way of having an airbox rather than going to a cone filter. I really like the standard look of my engine with the standard airbox and was wondering if by either using mi16 of gti6 items you could make some sort of stock looking installation. Has this been done before? Pictures of your airbox/filter/cold air feed set-ups would be good.

Thanks

Anthony

You could probably easily enough adapt the 309 GTi-16 induction setup to fit a 205:

309GTI16-4.jpg

Biggest difficulty I would imagine would be sourcing the parts, given that the cars were never sold in the UK and I can't see the original bits being particularly easy to source from mainland Europe either.

I believe that Superjosh on here did that with his 205 Mi16, but I couldn't find any pictures when I had a quick look.

Probably could make something similar with a bit of thought and an afternoon in the scrapyard looking for suitable donor parts. The throttle body to AFM pipe is probably the most difficult bit, but you might find a early 90's VAG of some description with a suitable pipe given that some of them used similar TB's to the Mi16.

camgti

Its been done here in Oz a few times. Biggest problem is fitting the canister behind the engine without hitting the bonnet. You can oval the canister but that involves a little work but not a massive effort. The standard pipes can then be used. I think you have to order the 309 elbow to join the canister and thats about it. I think.... PeterT you seen this yet?. Otherwise, get a standard MI16 ( the actual 405 mi16 ) airbox ( its a bigish square box ) and fit it where the battery sits. Would still look fairly smart and flow plenty enough air for a standard setup...

Cam

Will Eastman

Yeh I was thinking of maybe utilising the standard box, but was guessing there isn't much room behind the engine any more. Might just have a look/measure once its all together and then head to the scrappy.

Btw whats the bottle for in the bottom right of that picture?

welshpug

power steering in front of the battery, washer bottle to the right.

the 309 airbox pictured is much the same as the 205 bar the brackets, I think it may be a tad shorter.

Edited by welshpug

petert

Here's one I did a few years ago using 309 parts. I remade the air filter box so it fitted under the bonnet more easily.

post-2864-0-39126900-1328783551_thumb.jpg

post-2864-0-83176100-1328783562_thumb.jpg

post-2864-0-97860900-1328783605_thumb.jpg

Edited by petert

camgti

Nice Pete!!! Top work

Cam

dcc

Been doing my best to find the one which was done using xsara vts items! Couldn't find the pictures I took :<

the cannister was sat on the passenger wing under the water tank, looked very cosy.

welshpug

xsara airbox is the same size as the 205 one, just different brackets.

Ryan

I managed to make the 205 airbox fit.

I cut off all the mounting brackets and bolted it to a strip of metal, then bolted that to some unused holes on the back of the head that would have been for one of the metal water pipes.

I used a 309 GTI16 hose from the inlet to the AFM, and the standard 205 hoses (with a bit of adapting) for everything else. I had to turn the header tank 90 degrees to make room for the hoses, and rotate the AFM to point downwards to get the battery in.

The only thing missing really is that the plastic pipe on the slam panel doesn't match up with the hose going to the airbox. A 309 one might as it's a bit longer I think.

Will Eastman

Couldnt find the 309 airbox on servicebox, is it still on there, any ideas how much it would cost?

Ryan

The normal 309 airbox is the same as the 205.

The GTI16 airbox is the same size, it just has different mounting brackets attached (it bolts into two of the holes above the end of the exhaust cam rather than a bracket that goes down to the manifold like on the 205).

1427 78 is the part number for the normal 205/309 airbox, 1427 A9 for the GTI16 one. Both listed as NFP, but you might still be able to get them. Not cheap though - £98 for the normal one, £87 for the GTI16.

Will Eastman

Cheers, dont think il be getting one for that money, anyone got any ideas on price/part no. of the 309 16v elbow bit (throttle body to afm)?

Paul_13

Really struggling to find the part number on servicebox for the gti16 air intake pipe.

Ryan

309 > engine > air and fuel supply > air reheating > injection and XU except XU9M and XU5M

1424 R7 - £36.97

welshpug

you lot suck at searching :P

FILTER AIR HOSE 1424 R7 NFP - XU9J4 £30.31

the pipe from the airbox to the afm is the same as the standard 8v one. 1424 A4 £28.36

petert

Really struggling to find the part number on servicebox for the gti16 air intake pipe.

I found it under "Air Reheating". Part number 1424R7. ie throttle body to AFM tube.