• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AndrewUK1990

Unstable Idle Problem - Afm

AndrewUK1990

Hi all, I'm having a bit of trouble with my newly purchased 205 1.6 Gti. The car will not idle evenly for any length of time, especially when cold. The revs change between 500 - 1500 rpm up and down. I have been told it could be the air flow meter but im just looking for a second opinion and also if this is the case, is it possible to clean it or fix it in any way as i know these are quite expensive. Also FYI the engine its self was rebuilt in 2009 and it runs well other than this idling issue. Ive checked the intake system and there doesnt appear to be any air leaks on anything so I dont think that is the cause. The breather cap doesnt quite seal 100% but i wouldnt have thought this should really effect it. Anyone got any advice, tips on the situation?

Many thanks in advance as always,

Andrew.

sceptre

Worth checking fuel pump, electrics and maybe even timing (this can be adjusted without too much effort but is a bit risky if it was already perfect) before you go ahead and buy anything.

The timing went off on mine randomly the other day, no idea why - it had been stored for about 2 months in the cold but other than that no difference to normal use!

AndrewUK1990

hi thanks for the suggestions, ive jst fixed it today! it was really a mixture of things but heres wat i did to sort it if any1s interested. I took off the MAF sensor, cleaned it using special electronic cleaner, i also cleaned the air filter. Then what really seemed to help to my surprise was when i removed the idle speed screw, cleaned it with carb cleaner and the hole in the same way. also cleaned all breathers.

After all this i started her up, took her for a run the set the idle speed to 1k rpm and idles sweet as a nut, doesnt fluctuate at all! Problem solved!

While i was at it i also adjusted the timing for shells 99 octane V power, seems to hav better throttle response now and more low end torque.

Sign in to follow this