• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Artemide

Cooling Liquid In Oil

Artemide

Hi,

Have a problem what started after I changed the water in my cooling system for cooling liquid. Cooling liquid started to dissappera, had to top up all the time, then I checked my engine oil, which was all foamy and white, car smokes, my interior is now filled with cooling liquid(heater radiator?) and also the performance of the car has dropped. Today I stripped the car down a little and removed the cylinder head to check the head gasket. I took some pictures and was hoping that some of you maybe can tell something by looking at these pictures.

image%2520%252811%2529.jpg

image%2520%25286%2529.jpg

image%2520%25287%2529.jpg

image%2520%25288%2529.jpg

image%2520%252810%2529.jpeg

As it´s my only car atm this thread is extremely important and quick to be handled :(

Tom Fenton

Looks like head gasket has failed between centre two cylinders. Remove the gasket from the block and show us a better picture.

daneldridge23

Defo the headgasket, bazil on here had exactly the same problem on his super charged block, but that was due to the water way not matching exactly to his gasket and was just filling his oil up with coolant

Dan

Anthony

Looks like head gasket has failed between centre two cylinders. Remove the gasket from the block and show us a better picture.

This.

Looks a bit dubious on cylinder #1 (flywheel end) on the exhaust side too, which is right by one of the oil drains.

The reason that the interior is wet will be because the cooling system is being pressurised by the failed head gasket, and the pressurised coolant has found its way past the no doubt original and corroded/weakened heater matrix. Quite common.

Artemide

This.

Looks a bit dubious on cylinder #1 (flywheel end) on the exhaust side too, which is right by one of the oil drains.

The reason that the interior is wet will be because the cooling system is being pressurised by the failed head gasket, and the pressurised coolant has found its way past the no doubt original and corroded/weakened heater matrix. Quite common.

But if I will install a new head gasket and let´s say that problem is fixed, will the interior side of the coolant pipes and heater matrix now hold, as it did before or will I certanly have to strip down that part of the car also?

Tom Fenton

If there is a leak there will still be a leak. Sounds like you need to change the heater matrix. Luckily an easy job on a 205, on a RHD model you remove the tray above the drivers feet. Not sure on a LHD model, perhaps you remove the glovebox?

Artemide

If there is a leak there will still be a leak. Sounds like you need to change the heater matrix. Luckily an easy job on a 205, on a RHD model you remove the tray above the drivers feet. Not sure on a LHD model, perhaps you remove the glovebox?

I have a LHD, any suggestions someone?

harryskid

Might not the head need a skim as well? :unsure:

welshpug

Might not the head need a skim as well? :unsure:

certainly would, looks reasonably clean so a minimal amount just to clean it up, if its straight that is.

Artemide

I was told that sometimes also the bottom sides of the cylinder hollows get worn, has anyone encountered such problem? The thing is, that this can´t be checked so easily, once I remove the cylinder hollow, to put it back to gether, i´d have to release the crankshaft and pistons and etc because of the piston rings.

dcc

Just to point out, that HG looks new. I would get the head skimmed as if it is a new hg (new ish) and its blowing already, your head is about as much use as cheese unless you get it checked!

Artemide

Just to point out, that HG looks new. I would get the head skimmed as if it is a new hg (new ish) and its blowing already, your head is about as much use as cheese unless you get it checked!

I had the head renewed, skimmed 1000 km back. And the problem occured shortly after changeing water into cooling liquid

Artemide

I´ll add a few more pics, that should be more than enough to make a decision here. In case the head is straight and all good, than should I just install a new head gasket and rebuild it up again? i just don´t get it, how come the HG is so worn out after so little miles. 2000miles maximum. Is it the rust? And if, then how to clean it out of the system?

image%2520%252813%2529.jpg

image%2520%252812%2529.jpg

image%2520%252811%2529.jpg

image%2520%252810%2529.jpg

image%2520%25289%2529.jpg

image%2520%25288%2529.jpg

image%2520%25287%2529.jpg

image%2520%25286%2529.jpg

davemar

Were the head bolts correctly torqued up when they were fitted? It might be possible that if they weren't then the pressure on the head gasket may have not been even, giving an opportunity for a weakness to open up. Even just some crud in the screw holes for the bolts can give you an incorrect torque setting for a bolt.

Also totally clean mating surfaces are also a must.

The other reason might just be unlucky with a dodgy headgasket that had a flaw in it originally.

Artemide

Were the head bolts correctly torqued up when they were fitted? It might be possible that if they weren't then the pressure on the head gasket may have not been even, giving an opportunity for a weakness to open up. Even just some crud in the screw holes for the bolts can give you an incorrect torque setting for a bolt.

Also totally clean mating surfaces are also a must.

The other reason might just be unlucky with a dodgy headgasket that had a flaw in it originally.

Well the bolts were torqued exactly acording to the manual, but they weren´t new.

The biggest question and most important, before I install a new HG and bolts, that are the bottom of the cylinder hollows mint. Can there even be a problem? I´d prefer not to break the car down to parts again.

Matteo

I would suggest you to use new head bolts this time.

omega

Well the bolts were torqued exactly acording to the manual, but they weren´t new.

think that was your proplem you have to use new bolts as they stretch.

Artemide

think that was your proplem you have to use new bolts as they stretch.

New HG and Bolts are on their way, BUT still I´d like confirmation on the bottom cylinder hollows. Has anyone ever heard anything about them failing or not?

Sign in to follow this