• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
brian j

Motronic 3.1 And Head/cam Modifications

brian j

In the quest to get the last of my running problems sorted (Overfuelling and burning oil...) I have bought a recon head on the 'bay (I will have to check it over before fitting) which happens to be a big-valve Longmans Item with 43.5mm inlets and 35.5mm exhausts. (I got carried away but the price was too good to ignore.)

I was intending to shim it up with my current piper 270 cam and fit my Motronic 3.1 setup and lambda at the same time. (Standard inlet and exhaust manifolds, recently rebuilt bottom end etc)

I know that if I am going to get the best from it, I will need a remap, but does anyone have any opinion on whether I'm likely to be OK with it for (1 yr/5000 miles or so) a bit until I can afford it? I'd have thought that the mild cam and lambda should both help, but I wanted opinions from others, in case I make it undrivable...

Is it unreasonable to expect that with a remap, it should be around a genuine 150 BHP?

Edited by brian j

welshpug

I have a PT27 IIRC, which is around 272 degree I think, not mapped to suit and runs pretty well though can tell it's not 100% higher up the revs as it was on the standard cam.

It made over 130 bhp / 122 lbft on the standard cam, no mods whatsoever bar MP3.1 :D

pug_ham

As said, it will work fine but would benefit from being mapped properly to suit the changes.

My previous engine was a similar spec as your's Brian, just minus the larger valves & with the mapping made 140bhp on the chipwizards road when Wayne played with the map & tbh it went like a jetronic 1.9 8v should but most don't.

I didn't get to drive it much with the four branch, 1.6 pistons & lambda fitted but what little I did, it felt better still even without going back to see Wayne to see if anything could be changed for the better.

g

kyepan

one small note, have you looked into Caps, it's the library program for motronic, and helps you test all of the components such as AFM etc. This may also help the overfuelling.

Cheers

J

pug_ham

I think Brian has removed the motronic 1.3 from his car now to replace it with the 3.1 & do away with the afm & dizzy etc.

g

kyepan

there's me getting confused between 1.3 and 3.1 !!!

J

P_Monty

one small note, have you looked into Caps, it's the library program for motronic, and helps you test all of the components such as AFM etc. This may also help the overfuelling.

Cheers

J

What's this caps of which you speak ???

P_Monty

Got it - thanks...