• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Masekwm

"metallic" Tapping On Gti6

Masekwm

Fired up the 205 last week to prep for its mot (it has been parked since last October). STOP light came on so I turned it off, then turned it back on and all was fine apart from a noise from the engine. There is now a "tap" sound from the engine, it sounds like metal on metal and doesn't sound good.

Could this be anything simple? I'm thinking worst case.

Anthony

If it's been parked up for a while it could just be the hydraulic tappets have gone soft and need running for a while to sort themselves out - the top end can sound very rattly and metallic, but it should quieten down after a few minutes. Does the noise worsen at all when you give it some throttle?

STOP light being on for a few seconds when you first fired it up wouldn't be unsurprising with a pattern oil filter as the oil probably would have drained away, but if it wasn't on initially and then came on... well, that sounds far less encouraging.

Paul_13

Could be a hydraulic lifter a bit dry or you have bent valves :(

Masekwm

I'll run it up to temperature tomorrow and see what it sounds like with a little throttle.

I'm happy to accept the engine is shagged, it had turned the coolant a lovely rust colour and I couldn't shift it with numerous changes before I put it away for "winter". I left the engine standing in the garage for months before it ended up where it is now.

Masekwm

th_SDV_0104.jpg

At the end of the video it stopped, I got in and fired it back up and the stop light came on. Bum.

Mikey S

Have you whipped the oil filler cap off while its running and seen how much oil is flying around in there? Could be a blocked pick up on the oil pump, probably where its been sat

for a while and its sucked a load of s*ite up blocking it.

If it was mine, i'd be having the sump off and checking the pickup before condemning it to the scrapheap.

Mike

Masekwm

Got in it yesterday, fired it up, no stop light, sat in it and nursed the throttle to build the revs a little. Stop light came on, engine stalled, engine now doesn't turn.

The engine is now stripped ready to be removed, very annoying!

Paul_13

Is the battery flat?

I'm just thinking your alternators died?!

I've had a tapping 6 engine and ran fine for quite a while.... until it blew up due to me not tightening up the bottom pulley properly :lol:

Edit: hang on, stop light only comes on if there's low oil pressure or coolant... who was the loom converted by?

Edited by Paul_13

Masekwm

Battery is freshly charged.

Last thing I fitted was the alloy bottom pulley, then I put it away for winter... Then it tapped and now it doesn't turn... I can only think it is related to the bottom pulley.

Paul_13

Sounds daft but is it tight and is the woodruff key still present?

If you want a fresh pair of eyes over it, i'm happy to pop over when I got a spare moment

Masekwm

I converted the loom, it was fine before the winter.

I had a problem with the coolant, it kept doing this to blue coolant

407611_10150741728018868_537758867_12210471_1593603049_n.jpg

I'm 95% sure it was tight.

Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it, but it is stripped now and just needs craning out.

Paul_13

Just listened to the vid and it sounds pretty termninal.

Will you be taking to head off etc?

Sign in to follow this