• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Paul_13

Bit Of Help Needed To Identify This Berlingo Engine Please

Paul_13

I've got to change a power steering pump on this Berlingo van, it's a 1.9 diesel but i'm used to XU engine and a bit stumped on this one as i've never come a DW.

The actual pulley has come out of the pump body :lol:

Annoying thing is, the V5 says it's a diesel but the local motorfactor place is coming up as a 1.4 petrol engine TU3 :lol:

th_IMAG0004-1.jpg

Engine code pretty please, sorry it's a crap pic.

It's a 53 reg Citroen Berlingo van, 1.9 NA diesel.

gsidave

I've got to change a power steering pump on this Berlingo van, it's a 1.9 diesel but i'm used to XU engine and a bit stumped on this one as i've never come a DW.

The actual pulley has come out of the pump body :lol:

Annoying thing is, the V5 says it's a diesel but the local motorfactor place is coming up as a 1.4 petrol engine TU3 :lol:

th_IMAG0004-1.jpg

Engine code pretty please, sorry it's a crap pic.

It's a 53 reg Citroen Berlingo van, 1.9 NA diesel.

thats a dw8 diesel engine. have you got the chassis number

Edited by gsidave

thug pug

Its a DW 8 and normaly wjy.

Rab E.

Edited by thug pug

Paul_13

thats a dw8 diesel engine. have you got the chassis number

I haven't got the chassis number mate :(

I could get it though.

Thanks for the replies.

326680.jpg

welshpug

as ran said, dw8.

pretty close to an xud in most respects, lots of minor details, tis the only non turbo non common rail dw engine

Tom Fenton

1868cc DW8, they are a great little engine, go like stink in a Partner/Berlingo van compared to the NA XUD.

gsidave

1868cc DW8, they are a great little engine, go like stink in a Partner/Berlingo van compared to the NA XUD.

i much prefer the dv6 in the partner van, the gearing so short they go like rocket

Paul_13

Managed to get the pump out eventually, the high pressure hose union on the pump came loose and because of this I couldn't get the hose union loose. Bit of a pain but it's off.

Should get some pics as it's quite a bad failure :lol: Pulleys come clean out of the pump!

Haven't managed to have a decent look yet, but any pointers on how the fan belt tensioner loosens off? I think it's sprung loaded.

welshpug

look for a 3/8" sized hole if its an alloy casting, take care not to poke it through too far.

edit, just look on SB, looks to be like a sprung timing belt tensioner.

been a while since I swapped an engine on one of these!

Edited by welshpug

Paul_13

look for a 3/8" sized hole if its an alloy casting, take care not to poke it through too far.

Thanking you :)

m_attt

Haven't managed to have a decent look yet, but any pointers on how the fan belt tensioner loosens off? I think it's sprung loaded.

Done one the other day they are are twat, had to take the engine mount off and drop the lump too fit the tensioner and belt, they are sprung loaded, best way was to put a crow bar against it and lever it towards the bulkhead. take note of the belt routing its not obvious how it goes back.

Paul_13

Done one the other day they are are twat, had to take the engine mount off and drop the lump too fit the tensioner and belt, they are sprung loaded, best way was to put a crow bar against it and lever it towards the bulkhead. take note of the belt routing its not obvious how it goes back.

I thought that might be the case, didn't look like much room between the chassis leg and pulley.

Bit late now :lol: cut it off but pretty sure I know how it went on. Has anyone got a autodata diagram? I've found one for a DW10 which has the same setup by the looks of it.

It has a roller at the bottom which is a 1-1/4" in diameter.

Paul_13

Right... this has taken up most of my day today. Rather annoyed.

Got it all back together.

Started engine and waiting a bit a few seconds for the PAS fluid to circulate.

Next thing the fluid had bubbled up and started frothing out of the tank.

I then siphoned out the foam and added more fluid. Pump sounds alot quiter now.

Then moved onto the oil filter which probably hasn't been changed in 5 years and took an hour to removed the good damn thing, it was seized! Fill it with oil and thought I was finished.

Run the engine again and had the PAS tank cap on and it starts pissing out between the reservoir and the pump.The o ring is letting by and the fluid has gone really frothy again.

Would the froth/foam be caused by the leak?

Got to do this first thing tomorrow morning <_< Was hoping to work on my own car.

m_attt

when you started it, did you put the steering from lock to lock to bleed the air out?

dee205

Any cracks in the pump or reservoir? Even a hairline crack can cause problems.