• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stubby205

1.6 Gti Won't Start

stubby205

At first while I was stopped at traffic lights the revs would drop down to almost cutting out and then jump back up, after this happening for a week or so and occasionally cutting out, I decided to adjust the throttle cable in hopes that would solve the problem :( it didn't work, the revs went a little higher then the engine cut out and now it won't start. Any ideas or suggestions would be grately appreciated as my car is sat doing nothing but collecting dirt. Please help me.

chris205gtioliver

How's the dreaded brown multiplug, I don't have a great knowledge of car problems but mine was doing something similar and I replaced the brown multiplug located near the throttle and it seemed to help me.

Tom Fenton

The brown plug only carries signal wires to the gauges, and the starter solenoid wire. The symptoms of the brown plug are, erratic or non functioning gauges, and starter will not kick in when you turn the key.

All the engine management bits that can affect running do not pass through that plug.

Weser

Does it only happen when its warm or will it do the same when its cold?

stubby205

I think it did the same when cold, some friends have suggested the air flow meter, I'd recently had a second hand one fitted so I may start by changing that and checking the carb.

welshpug

checking the carb.

but you have a GTI with an AFM...

:unsure:

start with the basics, is the engine turning over?

do you have spark+ fuel?

Edited by welshpug

RickyD

The brown plug only carries signal wires to the gauges, and the starter solenoid wire. The symptoms of the brown plug are, erratic or non functioning gauges, and starter will not kick in when you turn the key.

All the engine management bits that can affect running do not pass through that plug.

So could that be a reason why my 1.9 doesn't start every time. What appears to be the multi plug is melted. I'm clueless and don't even know if its the diagnostics brown plug.

Could someone enlighten me.

Cheers

RickyD

stubby205

Haha sorry I meant the throttle body, ye it turns over, I thought it might be petrol as it was low but I put petrol in and tried again but still it didn't start. A few years ago the fuel pump wouldn't make the usual buzzing noise it does when turning the key in the ignition and I had to put a live wire to it to get the car started, after that it worked fine. Another thing making me think the cars electrics are buggerd is that my heaters only work when turned to full blast and if I turn my lights on the heaters go off. I've not checked the spark yet as the car is at my parents house so I'll be checking things next weekend. Thanks for all replies though every little helps.

Mikey S

So could that be a reason why my 1.9 doesn't start every time. What appears to be the multi plug is melted. I'm clueless and don't even know if its the diagnostics brown plug.

Could someone enlighten me.

Cheers

RickyD

Diagnostics plug is litterally a lead around the distributor cap area thats got 3 pins in it and it runs down to a sensor thats bolted to the gearbox bell housing.

Brown multiplug is about 7 pins iirc, and it sits around about where the clutch fork is on the top of the gearbox (unless someone has been playing around :rolleyes: )

I cut the light blue stater wire BEFORE the multiplug and wired in a 4 pin relay to slove my starting issues. Mine has been like it for years now with no problems. a quick google

will identify how to wire it up, failing that, Ring automotive do a pre-wired 4 pin relay kit that will do the job.

mike

Mikey S

Haha sorry I meant the throttle body, ye it turns over, I thought it might be petrol as it was low but I put petrol in and tried again but still it didn't start. A few years ago the fuel pump wouldn't make the usual buzzing noise it does when turning the key in the ignition and I had to put a live wire to it to get the car started, after that it worked fine. Another thing making me think the cars electrics are buggerd is that my heaters only work when turned to full blast and if I turn my lights on the heaters go off. I've not checked the spark yet as the car is at my parents house so I'll be checking things next weekend. Thanks for all replies though every little helps.

I'd look at earths for a start. Check for a decent earth at the pump and also for the presence of 12 volts when cranking. The Tachymetric relay (up by the ecu on drivers side)

will more than likely be the culprit if theres no voltage at the pump.

Heaters only working on full chat will be the rheostat which is on the passenger side under the dash by the fan but this cutting out when lights are switched on could indicate

that either the alternator or battery are starting to die.

Hope that helps

Mike

stubby205

Thanks I'll check the pump voltage and rheostat, I found that if I want the heaters on and my headlights, I unplug the dash lights brightness wheel under the steering wheel and they both work. Battery is quite new also.

stubby205

Ok I've charged the battery and checked the spark and there's nothing, no spark from any of the plugs, and they are all new spark plugs. I'm not the most technical person so I ask you all, what could be the cause of this? :(

sensualt101

Ok I've charged the battery and checked the spark and there's nothing, no spark from any of the plugs, and they are all new spark plugs. I'm not the most technical person so I ask you all, what could be the cause of this? :(

i know its a basic thing but what condition are your ht leads in? if you have no spark at all it could be as simple as a broken lead?

stubby205

Not checked them yet, they're magnicor leads so I hope they would last more than a few years. Im going to change the leads and dizz and ignition coil just incase but if that fails I'm not sure what else to try, and I can't really afford to take it a garage. Thanks for all replys :)

welshpug

i'd imagine getting a garage to diagnose a fairly simple fault would be cheaper than buying lots of parts that you may well not need