• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
danny56712

[engine_work] Red 205 Gti-5 Project

danny56712

Hi lads, my name is Kev believe it or not and im from Co. Cork in Ireland. I'm a trainee in my career so all will be carried out on tight budget. Iv now had a good few 205s and decide I owe 205drivers a half decent thread. After much thinking I decided to buy this beauty back in February 2011. Red originally 1.6 but fitted with a healthy 1.9 8V, pulls well and its strongest characteristic is its body. It is quite immaculate for a 205 now, due to being well kept, it had some very good previous owners as wax oiled underneath etc. Interior is pristine sorry I have no pictures but its decent half leathers, red carpet and phase 2 so shiny black dash :) :) 92,000miles on it and its only major fault right now are those wheels as im sure ye will tell me but ill be changing them one of these days for 1.9 205 gti wheels which just need tires :D

dscf6029v.jpg

dscf6042x.jpg

dscf6040a.jpg

dscf6030s.jpg

dscf6039l.jpg

dscf6042x.jpg

Could do with good wash n deep polish to renew it up to its true beauty but this is it as I bought it. Let me know what ye think?

Ps. Some of this is old quotes taken from an Irish site but said id put it up to give you background.

danny56712

Now I drove this for some time but by time autumn came around I found i was having reliability issues with ignition amp going, fan belt breaking and other small bits and bobs.

Car had been sitting at home and unsure as to sell it or what for a while. However I knew if I did sell it, I would want another in a matter of weeks or months as anytime I did in the past so with a little persuassion from Nico here and the stunning red project in octane project thread i decided I needed more power and reliability. Choice was GTI-6 conversion done correctly, this will take some time but I have made a start at least.

Excuse the camera quality was only learning how to use it at time but pics are better than nothing.

I started off buying the below lump from a lad in Tipperary through a donedeal add pointed out by a fellow Octaner when I put up a wanted add up on Octane. Loom and ecu were to be included.

However when the man went removing it he went to lift car with forklift and broke the rear of the nice baffled sump but all will be sorted.

2ba976b8.jpg

413609d1.jpg

1cb82938.jpg

First problem I noticed was altenator pulley as shown below got bent from the guys yanking around with the engine :{

273d9f72.jpg

Also I removed the air con unit and was met with the problem of how would I tension my aux belt and what would it run on so I needed 306 rallye aux belt pulley and tensioner. I also realised the crank sensor was not on the loom as agreed with seller of engine. I bought the pulley, tensioner, crank pickup and altenator from Sweeney1987 on fci.

6386abb6.jpg

5296bbdc.jpg[/

Next up was the issue of top engine mounting not being included but after a week trying to contact seller of engine I eventually caught up with him ringing from a different number and received the engine mount as pictured below.

2e9bd89d.jpg

Edited by danny56712

danny56712

Followed by my cleaning tools and a little paint as followed and it looked a little better.

60a8b9af.jpg

3a94d576.jpg

80a54285.jpg

a04e50c1.jpg

Next up labelled up engine loom and removed it ready to start work on it. Might need a lending hand here from Nico but will see as I go. Also need to do something on unlocking the ecu but not worried a while now!

5b09799a.jpg

Next thing I noticed was this little unit on the breather hose. I intend fitting a catch tank and removing the normal engine breathing system returning gases into the inlet so I just removed it!

57837516.jpg

Edited by danny56712

danny56712

Then I went to the side on the manifold..

b7e57146.jpg

Removed hoses and then cut off hard black plastic pipes as seen in the above picture flush with housing. Placed DIRKO in each hole and threaded in a bolt/screw to permanently block these.

Also removed the throttle body heater at this stage as will not be needed in our climates!

Next up I removed the inlet manifold, stripped every part off of it and began cleaning!

As can be seen below I had manifold removed and began cleaning it in detail including the idle valve, resonance box, MAP sensor, throttle body, injectors. Cleaned and painted the fuel rail as was getting a little rusty and removed the second lot of bends on the fuel lines as will have to make up custom ones anyway. Also made one silly error in removing the accelerator cable holder and masking taped it up with the bolts deciding to put it to one side as i wouldn't need another ''engine lifting hook'' but sure it is accelerator cable holder so will need ot dig it out again. Otherwise happy now with nice clean manifold ready for fitting with a little liquid gasket.

21d41480.jpg

7f2cb348.jpg

041eb4b9.jpg

6fc38cbb.jpg

816304de.jpg

8c2a4465.jpg

75e5435b.jpg

fab8189f.jpg

2fe49195.jpg

7cb87979.jpg

danny56712

Next up cleaned the block, removed everything and finally brought it to a state it could handle some heat resistant paint. Painted rocker covers and cam cradles an enamel aluminium colour. This took huge amounts of time now but at least its degreased and clean to handle.

1cce9601.jpg

04508d03.jpg

f5332393.jpg

eb0421b7.jpg

402d937b.jpg

16538ef6.jpg

39dc8079.jpg

057a57f4.jpg

3520d8bf.jpg

0b801580.jpg

As can be seen above the engine only had one coil in it. This was the nastiest surprise of all through out project so far. Seller mentioned nothing and when removed cover all was there was the one at the end which can be seen without removing the cover on top. Otherwise quite happy with this stage of the project. Apologies photos seem a little big and will try reduce size the next time before uploading but will keep going as they are now with all work over Christmas period!

danny56712

Next up returned on the oil breather pipe as shown below which will stay in place, however the other exit from rocker cover will be take across to an oil catch tank, well that is my current plan.

I also returned the water distribution block at the rear of the engine as shown and cleaned up the water block to the side and the vacum pump for the servo connnected to the camshaft (unit which i am unsure should i keep or not).

i also returned a few sensors I removed from the block and moved to look at transmission.

9c57c27d.jpg

5a184c80.jpg

e2f328d4.jpg

danny56712

Onto the transmission I bought a gearbox from Sweeney1978 of FCI, an xsara vts gearbox. I had plenty of 1.9 and 1.6 be1s and be3s a=but this is by far the most suitable gearbox per the majority of gti6 205 drivers. Now I did consider the gti6 6speed gearbox but the loss of steering lock woul be just too much for a fun weekend car.

Firstly I needed to remove the extra mounting piece for gearrods to stabilise gearbox. Next issue was the speedo sensor housing in my eyes needed to be switched with a 205 gearbox so as the speed sensor cable would all match up. Then when had this started I continued and removed the 8 bolts on the diff housing. Unfortunatly at the moment funds will not allow the purchase of a quaiffe atb but one day it will be in there. For now I needed to remove the xsara crown wheel and diff and open a 205 gti gearbox and also remove a crown wheel and diff. Then take the xsara crown wheel and bolt it to the 205 gti diff and refit it to the xsara gearbox sealing and bolting ti all back together. The purpose of this is that my driveshafts would not fit fully into the xsara diff but through doing this change i will have no issue in fitting my driveshafts in full. During this process I also fitted new driveshaft oil seals to prevent any leaks. We all know how annoying they are! Now my only question banging around my head is did I fit a 1.6 (14'' wheel) or a 1.9 (15'' wheel) speed sensor small cog as this will effect the speedo. Either way ill find out once im back on the road and compare it to a sat nav or something.

Then when I looked at my clutch disc with Nico i had to agree with him it was too worn to refit so decided ill order up an mi16 clutch kit. Now this is an easier clutch to fit but will require the release bearing push/pull mechanisims being swapped from xsara vts type to a BE3 type but that is not an issue just another job to be done.

Last job then will be switch the gear changer mechanisim to a 205 type one and a good cleaning!!

Also have new clutch cable BE3 type gotten ready for mi16 type clutch kit.

Below are some pics:

cca9bd23.jpg

050bb4b0.jpg

916745fe.jpg

ce3b222e.jpg

4265fcc1.jpg

69cf2e07.jpg

57b8ce55.jpg

756a7dcc.jpg

f385a32a.jpg

15e040d9.jpg

danny56712

9204784e.jpg

25577232.jpg

510a6117.jpg

da9b8616.jpg

fee018b8.jpg

bce9dc9e.jpg

8481b05d.jpg

8e83170d.jpg

a2be6fd8.jpg

5f82c1f8.jpg

danny56712

9deaf127.jpg

71b7a550.jpg

09d79f39.jpg

300fbcfc.jpg

e651da40.jpg

47d0319f.jpg

a94d7cc2.jpg

danny56712

Also on the steering front i bought a phase1 xsara vts rack from Sweene1987 to reduce steering to 2.2 turns lock to lock. Havent done anything with the rack yet except purchase two new boots for it but will have to change tie rods and track rod ends to 205 GTI items in time. Also need the 205 square drive uj to connect back to the steering column found on some early 205s.

Pictures below:

4d1c6e6a.jpg

e8e37978.jpg

5a065dc0.jpg

Thats all for now and unfortunatly wont be home next weekend either as living in waterford now so is gonna be a slow mover!

danny56712

This weekend did not see any major progress due to having to stay in Waterford! However i had brought four whels down with me so I made a start on them. I went to Sealant Services to get the tyres removed and valves cut out, all four for ten euro which in my eyes was a bargain. However when asked about fitting some tyres for me after reconditioning wheels I got the usual insurance cover chat basically stating "I only fit tyres i sell".

I returned home and attacked them inside with a wire brush on my buffer which is very handy due to adjustable speeds. Then also had to buy a small extension lead and a mouse for sanding the faces of the wheels nice and smooth. They are not quite ready for primer but not too far away from it.

Plan is filler primer, primer and anthracite followed by a clear coat. (Halfords Paint). Any advice here appreciated...

4a1c7724.jpg

91bb7c69.jpg

19cc3e6c.jpg

2f78a45e.jpg

0021eda5.jpg

07d35572.jpg

7b9c487a.jpg

danny56712

Received a package I purchased from "Welshpug" off of "205drivers" yesterday evening.

First item was a good condition sump with sensor from a GTI-6 engine, was going to just fit a steel 8v sump but decided to go for the aluminium GTI-6 after due to the baffling in the sump being original and maybe needed for the engine on track. Also there was the fact I removed the water / oil cooler so the aluminium sump would be good to keep my oil cool if I do hit a few track days. I removed the cooler as they are well known to leak water into the oil in high mileage so I decided its day had come. If i do suffer hot oil in the future I may fit my 1.9 309 radiator oil cooler or splash out on a mocal unit.

Secondly I received the three coils which were robbed from my engine before sellling. The guy I bought it from is breaking a navy blue GTI-6 (advertised on donedeal) and has refused to answer me or reply since I bought the engine so my advice is stay clear. he never informed me it was missing the coils only stated "it was running till a few weeks ago". However now I have spun the engine and I can feel high compression and all looks good internally. I have all four coils now.

Thirdly I decided against the hassle of fitting a GTI-6 clutch and opted for a simple MI16 clutch kit which is the same size but is a push type unit not a pull type clutch system like originally in the xsara vts and gti6 engine. I will now fit my push type clutch (easy job) and use be3 parts from the gearbox I stole the differential from for the operational parts between the clutch cable and clutch. Plus I have the new be3 push type cable as already pictured in its packaging.

Few pics below:

75c7945c.jpg

090d2f94.jpg

74127859.jpg

081cd226.jpg

53a3f8d0.jpg

danny56712

Thats it fully up to date lads and ill keep this thread up to date now and should be a good resource of info for people carry ing out naything similar! Just so you know it was over Christmas when I started with the engine.

Shopping list at present is:

406 4 port mc with bigger piston to suit gti6 calipers

GTI6 timing belt kit

maybe a new set of big end bearings

Decent front pads for GTI6 brakes

allye

The brown thing in one of your first posts is the carbon canistor. You can just get rid of it.

Sounds like the guy who sold you the engine was a dodgy c**t!

No matter how many 6' conversion threads I read I still enjoy reading them and how people do it differently, good luck with the rest of the build.

dcc

the xsara rack is 2.4 turns lock to lock btw!

I couldt quite make out in your swapping of the diff, but I assume your diff is going to be the 205 be item and the xsara crownwheel? Also, the xsara gearbox mount (threaded thing) is shorter and bring that side of the engine up quite high, swap it for a 205 item.

cybernck

Any updates on this? :)

[L'e$kro]

I think he is pretty busy with work and college, he has no time to come back to Cork and work at his 205..

There is not that much work left, he has all the bits they just need bolting together.

Nico