• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Daviewonder

Wet N' Dry Paper For Flatting Between Coats

Daviewonder

Hi All

Quick question regarding wet and dry paper. I have a couple of sheets in front of me, one is P800 and the other is P1200. The 800 is finer than the 1200 but as far as I know shouldn't this be the other way around?

This has now confused me now that I want to buy some more. What grade is best for flatting back before doing the next coat after each coat has dried fully?

Any ideas chaps :huh:

Josh_Quant

1200 is finer, why are you wet flatting between coats?

Edited by Josh_Quant

Daviewonder

I thought I had to key it up if the primer dried completely between coats?

I wonder why my wet n dry has the numbers arse about face?

SurGie

There is no need to key it back but doing a fine key does make the final paint outcome very smooth with no bits etc. I use tack cloths at the final stage just before painting. The thinner's will make it melt/stick to the primer. Having a key also gives you piece of mind that every bit of paint will stick to it well and last.

Be careful though, only do it dry, primer is porous so water can get into it just like wet sanding filler too. I use professional flexible thin foamed sanding pads. Halfords sell a set of green coloured ones, they are really useful in getting into difficult areas etc. I use 1000 grade foam pads between coats and clear coat, then 2000 when clear coat is dry for a good shine, can be better with polishing it at the end.

Use a thin flat coat of acid etch primer on bare steel first, it will etch into the steel for good long term sticking.

Josh_Quant

Im not a painter.

but as far as i know you put the primer let it dry. you using 2 pack or aerosol primer?

then once primer dry wet flat it back degrease and paint it

Daviewonder

Thanks for the replies.

I'm using rattle can primer off the shelf and top coat made up by my local paint place. I'm painting my front valence but not having a lot of luck due to silicon(?) on it. Just got some primer on with minor reactions.

Josh_Quant

how come you put primer on? you repaired it or something

did you degrease it before you put primer on it?

Daviewonder

It was the wrong colour and covered in stone chips. I scrubbed it using washing up liquid and a scotch pad, then rubbed it down with various grades of paper.

SurGie

Silicone can take ages to get off, i think you are better off starting from scratch with plastic painting. Try using THIS after the plastic primer, but dont key back plastic primer, it will take it bonds flexibility stuff.

THIS will help you avoid any reactions

SurGie
THIS type of abrasive will help make it all clean and not take any plastic off compared to using wire brushes.

Daviewonder

Cheers for the info Guys.

I've now painted it and just need to flat and polish the lacquer :)