• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Murf

1/2" Belt Sanders Max Grit?

Murf

Hello all,

Just been thinking was wanting to tidy some bits up. Is it worth buying a 1/2" belt sander? if so whats the max grit they go to?

Thanks

Tom Fenton

I use a Black and Decker powerfile, it is a really handy bit of kit, basically a 1/2" belt sander but 240v mains powered rather than the usual air powered.

Belts wise I clubbed together with a couple of mates and we had 500 belts made at a local abrasive place, we got some 120's and some 240's. However sadly it recently closed down.

Murf

How much were the belts you had made?

Tom Fenton

I think they worked out at about 50p each, they are aluminium oxide (blue) abrasive so last a while grinding steel, unlike the red ones which are OK for wood but no use on steel.

Rippthrough

If I can find it I've got a number somewhere for a place that does custom belts fairly cheap, over gainsborough way.

Murf

Thanks Tom. Please if you don't mind.

dave205

I use a Black and Decker powerfile, it is a really handy bit of kit, basically a 1/2" belt sander but 240v mains powered rather than the usual air powered.

Where did you buy it from and how much was it tom?

M@tt

dont be tempted by the silverline belts from toolstation for the powerfile. Yes they're cheap but they shred in literaly seconds on metal. Waste of money.

I'e got some 3M ones off ebay, more expensive but last 100 times as long

I got my B&D power file from the B&D outet store at Doncaster think it was about £25