• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
petert

Gti6 Pulley On 205 Cam

petert

Has anyone tried this? I was surprised yesterday to discover that the pulley ends of XU10J4R/RS and XU5/XU9 cams are identical. Thus a GTi6 adjustable pulley fits straight on to a 205 cam. The only catch is that you need to reduce the width of the GTi6 pulley by facing it on a lathe.

Anthony

I've not done it with a GTi-6 pulley, but I have done it with a TUD5 pulley - again, like you say, it fits fine but needs slimming down a little.

(for the record, DW8 pulleys fit Mi16 and S16 models with slight modification)

Daviewonder

Does it need slimming down so it fits in the timing cover?

welshpug

i was just wondering about this earlier but im not at home to check, one thing i really dislike about verniers is the lack of locking pin hole :(

Anthony

i was just wondering about this earlier but im not at home to check, one thing i really dislike about verniers is the lack of locking pin hole :(

Can't speak for the GTi-6 pulley, but I know the timing pin hole on the TUD5 pulley is completely different position-wise to the XU5/9 pulley

Miles

Good way of using a wider belt, But you do need the larger roller tensioner too

welshpug

tis pretty similar due to its design, nowhere near the edge like the 8v xu's, xud is like an mi16 pulley iirc

welshpug

cool, i need a vernier and have a few later xu pulleys :)

Location of the keyway varies but the outer is the same

pug_ham

The TUD5 vernier I used on a 8v after I'd machined it down a few years ago wouldn't be any good for the wider belt imo, you need to machine the back of the pulley down so the hub locates on the cam iirc.

Plus the hub needed some machining to clear the cover backing plate.

Once set up correctly, one of the outer edge holes lined up suitabley to be used for a timing pin through the head casting.

g

welshpug

was it the 3 bolt or single bolt pulley you measured Peter?

offset of the late single bolt adjustable XU pulley I have here is 15mm from front face to the end of the cam, 16mm from the inner face (quite rough tape measure not vernier however)

6690721353_49059db18a.jpg

6690729319_bfe11e6811.jpg

petert

Single bolt, same as that one. I think I got 14.5mm rather than 15mm.

welshpug

going to see a man with a shed full of machines later :D

I checked my pulley with a cheap digi caliper, 14.95 from end of cam to outer face, 16mm inwards to inner face, 30.95mm overall width

welshpug

9mm removed, for a tenner;

6731571219_cb2b8151f3.jpg

6731577313_551dda6b0d.jpg

one thing worth noting, the RS engine uses the B type hub/keyway on both camshafts, the XU7 and the 10J4R use different ones which have the keyway tank at a different angle to the pin hole, will see if I can find mine and compare.

6731586945_d33d4339f5.jpg

petert

Nice work!

welshpug

6785609608_c30faccd29.jpg

6785603464_c1350c96eb.jpg

petert

So it's going? All good?

welshpug

Will be popping a new belt and water pump on later and timing it up hopefully :)

IIRC it gives 1.5 teeth of adjustment in total, about 25 degrees in total

oh, do you do 8v regrinds?

Edited by welshpug

welshpug

on and running, had to remove the inner belt cover for the time being as it rubbed.so you were right that it does need a shim, the belt also runs right up to the edge of the pulley.

pug_ham

I had the back of the hub machined to clear the inner cover when I used the TUD5 vernier on the 8v 205 & luckily one of the outer holes is placed suitable to use as a timing pin hole.:)

Shame this one doesn't seem to do the same but neither do any other aftermarket verniers for the 8v. :(

g

welshpug

I doubt it would be difficult for Stew to alter his MI16 design to cater for the 8 valvers.

vernier-pulley-8v.jpg

vernier-pulley-16v.jpg

Edited by welshpug

pug_ham

I asked stew about doing the same to the 8v pulley last year when I saw his Mi16 ones but iirc he said it can't be done as easily as I expected.

I think he might've said he'd look into it for a phase 2 version of the 8v pulley though. :unsure:.

g

Sign in to follow this