• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
layton1985

Why Does My Engine Start To Die Then Rev Sdtrong

layton1985

Hi I have put a 2.0 turbo engine in my car and everything is done, I started it up and straight away it ran, 30 seconds ish later it dropped abit in revs found itself a little lower and settled, I rev it and it sounds like it's gonna die then revs up, whilst its revving I rev it and it's fine I stop revving it and it nearly dies then finds itself again at a steady rpm, again I rev it and it nearly dies then picks up.

The noise it makes when it begins to die is like swallowing air through the intake, a little popping aswell going on not smooth sucking, then when revs pick up it's fine sounds ok like it should.

The engine came out of my car that had 68k on the clock it's previous owner was disabled and it was very well looked after, it felt smooth, luxurious and comfy, the engine was mint, the ecu is standard I have not messed around with any of the wiring apart from cutting off the two round plugs and finding the permenant lives, switch lives, earths, fuel pump, altenator and starter motor wires,

I am wondering if there might be a specific way that the vacuum hoses have to be connected?

The vacuum pipe that goes to the servo goes straight to the inlet manifold, My fuel pump is standard but I don't think it will be that as it bogs at low revs and at high revs it is fine, high revs demands more fuel.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, I have raised this question on my thread but it's a little old now, and no one has got back to me I don't know if this is because no one can help or no one has seen it?

Thank you Lee

jonnyturbo

connected the icv up properly? it should buzz when the engine/ignition is on i think. brake servo to inlet and you should have one from your inlet to some 1 way valve i think? and then in to your ecu as your map sensor is in the ecu and run off vacuum.

layton1985

Thanks guys for the replies I will cimpare tomorrow but I think I do have it connected as shown in the pic apart from purge canister / now blank goes to boost control valve then turbo, is this ok?

Also a friend said that it could be a leak through the servo because it's not a sealed unit? He said I need a one way valve on the pipe? I don't think that makes sense as what ever direction the air flow is going through the pipe it isn't going to change and go the other way?

Thanks for the pic Daviewonder it makes it so much easier to understand and quicker to, top marks.

Daviewonder

I thought the purge take off was a one way valve that allowed vacuum but not boost, may not be ideal for your boost take off?

I'm not 100% as I did mine quite a while ago.

layton1985

Ahh right, what have you taken your boost off? sure my mate has his that way and it's really quick but like mine, it struggles n nearly dies unless you give it a revvin.

Daviewonder

I have a small take off on one of my metal boost pipes. You can buy them on eBay pretty cheap.

layton1985

This is a quick microsoft paint job of how I think the boost take off etc should go plus from the pic you can see roughly how I have everything else set up.

turboboostillustration.jpg

layton1985

This is a quick microsoft paint job of how I think the boost take off etc should go plus from the pic you can see roughly how I have everything else set up.

turboboostillustration.jpg

bassline21

hello guys. im having a very similar problem to this. i have connected my icv up but only one side as i havent got a take off on the induction yet. will this be suspect? it does power up but seems when i try to start it with the icv connected it doesnt want to run at all. if i take it off and blank the plug itll run but not rev. also seems ive put my boost solenoid on backwards with the wastegate actuator attached to the longer pipe under the sensor connection. anyone think if i get the icv on properly n solenoid swapped over itll sort this?? also should the arrow from icv go to the manifold or the induction pipe?? any help much appreciated. one of them sleepless nights worryingabout it last night lol. sorry for the highjackin layton.

Sign in to follow this