• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Will Eastman

Upgrading Reversing Light

Will Eastman

Im having some real problems with not being able to see much out of my car (in either direction). I am planning to upgrade the front lights to H4 100/80w clear xenon bulbs, then upgrade the driving lights and side lights. Do I also need to by dip-beam bulbs or do the full beam bulbs do both?

The reversing light is pathetic, what can i do to improve it, can i just buy a more powerful bull, if so what power??

Thaks

Anthony

Is yours a Phase 1/1.5 (ie reverse light in the taillight cluster) or Phase 2 (ie reverse light in the valance)?

Phase 2's are a bit useless, but Phase 1's generally cast a pretty usable light.

I would be a little careful with 100W bulbs up front too, as the wiring is somewhat borderline with that sort of wattage and potentially you'll burn the reflectors too, although most don't have a problem. 205 headlights in good order are pretty reasonable with standard bulbs, so it might be worth checking that they're aimed properly, the reflectors are in good condition and shiny, and that the earths are good (as voltage drop will have a big impact on light output)

No point touching the side light bulbs for improving visibility for yourself.

Will Eastman

Cheers, yeh its a phase 2, so is there no upgrade for reversing light? Yeh well im just looking around and toying over weather to go for something like Philps Xtreme Vision or to go 100/80W, but im guessing the 100/80's will be alot brighter. I live in the country and alot of my night driving is on backroads so i really need more light. I have checked these things and the lights are still appalling!! Also i would fit relays if i went 100/80w, dont know if theres a guide to doing this anywhere though??

Thanks

johnnyboy666

you might be able to get an LED cluster type bulb for the reverse light? they tend to be brighter and have a shorter 'reaction time'

welshpug

this is the only way I could think of upgrading them tbh, doesnt really work on a 205

Image0427.jpg

Edited by welshpug

steve@cornwall

If the reversing light is not bright enough, i usually activate the hazards......

Will Eastman

Hey yeh I was thinking of puting a light like that on my old mini (as it didnt have any). Yeh i guess il start using hazards, I sometimes use the brake lights, which has made me a master of reversing while at all times having my foot on the brake haha. Cheers,any more advice on the 100/80w vs Philips Xtreme Vision for main lights? And any advice on how id fit a relay if i went for the 100/80w?

welshpug

as you'd fit any other relay :unsure:

Anthony

A search on Google for something like "uprated headlight wiring relay" should bring up plenty of how-to guides - using relays for the headlight wiring is very common on many 70/80's era VW's (eg Mk1 Golf) that suffer badly from voltage drop and the resulting poor headlight illumination.

It's straight forward enough though if you're competent with vehicle electrics:

A fused feed from the battery goes to one side of the high-current (switched) side of the relay, and the other goes to the headlight bulb.

The original headlight wire goes to one side of the low-current (switching) side of the relay, and the other goes to earth.

B1ack_Mi16

Regarding the reverse light, can't you add a Phase 1 light in the rear valance and use that in addition to the ones in the clusters.

I suppose that must be of some help and car would still look orginal.

Regarding headlights just a proper loom upgrade often helps, measure the voltage across your bulbs while engine is running and measure voltage on battery. If there is a significant difference you can expect quite an improvement of installing a proper loom that eliminates the voltage drop.

Obey_R

You've got it the wrong way round. Phase 2 had them in the valance and did away with the one in the cluster, unfortunately.

S@m

Am i the only one who just turns his rear fog light on for reversing? Theres talk of using hazards and keeping your foot onthe brake but rear fog seems is the choice for me!

Sam

Will Eastman

Sounds good, where is a good place to be earthing it to then?

Thanks for the response, big help!!

Leon

You can get super bright reversing bulbs, they are like a big single dome LED. I have one in the Manta, it's very good. Cost about a tenner.

Will Eastman

Right iv been looking into getting all the bits for rewiring my headlights and getting new bulbs. Iv been working from this thread, http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=18778

im planning to use three relays, (dip,high,drivers) but I dont understand if I need to put both fullbeam original wires into the switch part of the relay or if one is ok? Do i just tape the other off?

Thanks

Will Eastman

anyone??

Anthony

You only need one of the original wires to trigger each relay.

Simes

Ok,

I run 100w H3 bulbs in the driving lamps.

To avoid these causing a fire you need to

Install a relay

Rewire using cable rated up to 18A - (you'll be drawing around 16.6amps)

Fit new bulbs

Here's how to do it

Cut through through the V+ feed to the driving lamps before it splits (nr. battery) to go to each lamp.

Connect the switched end of this to your relay.

Power your relay from the shunt box - PUT AN INLINE FUSE ON THIS SMALL CIRCUIT

Earth your relay to the body work.

Remove the rest of the wiring going to each driving lamp and replace this with the thicker gauge cable.

Connect this to the relay.

Away you go!

Note: I've put it in simple terms if you need to know more detail then I would consider asking someone to do it for you.

Clean all the earths up that a fixed to the bodywork near both headlamps. Personally I'd chop the ends off and remake with ring terminals; you'll be surprised how many things work better/faster from this!

EDIT: Personally I wouldn't bother on headlamps - you'll just blind everyone coming towards you.

EDIT 2: If you want I can take a picture of it all - my wiring is all nicely and neatly hidden under and around the slam panel along with the relay.

Edited by Simes

Will Eastman

Thanks, that clears up a lot. Will give it a go once I can find the time.

Thanks