• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
weejp

Sorry.... Yet Another Won't Start Post.....

weejp

After carefully ordering from Euro Car Parts, using my registration number and double checking the items were for a 1989 1.9 Gti, I have in my possession:

Distributor Cap

Rotor Arm

HT Leads

Now how in f**k's name are they all wrong? The cap I received is a clip on type, the one on my car is attached with 2 screws. The new arm is far too loose and the leads do not sink into the block far enough to make a proper seal. I'm right royally pi**ed off.

I have had these items for nigh on 2 months, will they give me my money back or am I goosed?

This is the style of cap I have on my 1989 1.9 Gti - is it correct?

post-12725-0-10732400-1324465651_thumb.jpg

Anthony

ECP's database is at best absolutely useless.

Your car has the correct cap fitted for the age/model - indeed, as far as I know all 1.9 GTi Jetronic models have that style cap.

Sounds like ECP have supplied you with an early 1.6 GTi dizzy cap.

Whether you'll get your money back after 2 months I couldn't say, but I don't see why you couldn't swap the parts for the correct one if they're in as-new and unused condition, especially if the parts are listed wrongly on their system. I suspect that the default answer will be "no" given the time frame so you might have to kick up a stink.

weejp

ECP's database is at best absolutely useless.

Your car has the correct cap fitted for the age/model - indeed, as far as I know all 1.9 GTi Jetronic models have that style cap.

Sounds like ECP have supplied you with an early 1.6 GTi dizzy cap.

Whether you'll get your money back after 2 months I couldn't say, but I don't see why you couldn't swap the parts for the correct one if they're in as-new and unused condition, especially if the parts are listed wrongly on their system. I suspect that the default answer will be "no" given the time frame so you might have to kick up a stink.

Yeah, as I thought. Hopefully they'll be reasonable about it and swap them at least. I have to say I was convinced the supplied parts were wrong as soon as I took them out the packaging - unfortuantely for me (I have been rather busy with kids, xmas, etc ,etc) that was nearly 2 months after purchase.

Cheers once again. That has made me feel slighly less dim and a tad better :rolleyes:

weejp

Well decided to enlist some professional help on this starting problem in the end. I had forgotten about the RAC cover I had, so got them out today as the car had been sitting for a week.

The RAC boy was sound, really good guy - plenty of chat and laughs about 205's. He started off checking the usual, battery, etc then he checked for spark - no spark! - after a bit of searching it turned out to be poor connections at the bulk head relays. As soon as he started wiggling them around it was sparking all over the place, so he gave them a clean and well.... it fired up beautifully.

I just hope that it's that simple and I have a vehicle that starts reliably once again.

Question: these bulkhead relays are they easy enough to replace, can anyone tell me a good place to get replacements?

Sign in to follow this