• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chipstick

2 Aerocatches Sufficient?

chipstick

I have never used aerocatches before so not sure how effective they are.

Obviously the main use for them is to act as a 'quick release' for full removal, probably 2 at the top, 2 at the bottom.

Since I have trimmed my rad couling and lost all the strength in it (the fixings at the front were already snapped, and the thing was cracked in a few places also) it has been a pain. I can only shut the bonnet with the grill removed and using my hands to lift the slam panel up while pushing the bonnet down.

This method takes time, numbs my cold fingers, and is basically embarassing :lol:

I have driven the car without a grill for a few weeks now, and at speed the slam panel flexes slightly and I can see the bonnet flapping.

This is far from ideal. I concidered perhaps trying to get some thin box section and running it under the slap panel to stop it flexing, but there doesn't seem to be room for that.

I could get another couling in 1 piece and cut it down again, but I imagine it would only be a matter of time berore the plastic tabs I would rely on to break.

So the other solution I had would be aerocatches. Not the most attractive addition to a car not dedicated to the track, but I kind of like them :wub: and I would buy a different bonnet to use them on so I could swap it over and be left with 2 holes in the headlight panels if it was returned to standard.

I don't want to lower my rad on aftermarket mounts, as my hoses would need to be changed.

Now my question is, if I was to use just 2 aerocatches at the front of the bonnet either side, would I be able to do away with the centre catch? The way that flexes on shutting is what causes the hassle with me having to pull the slam panel up to meet and takes several attempts to do before it springs in. If 2 catches were enough to make that redundant, then it would make life much easier.

Wes

2 will be fine on the standard bonnet. you only need 4 on a removeable bonnet. use a bit of coolant hose around the pins to get the bonnet sitting at the right height. if your using the flush aero catches you could always paint them white to match the bonnet so they dont stand out too much.

welshpug

why is your slam panel cut down so much? don't need to cut it that much with the standard 16v inlet.

indeed two will be sufficient on a steel bonnet, and most well made composite items.

allye

Yep 2's plently, I got rid of the standard catch system as the corners of my bonnet flapped at 70mph+, plus aero catches look fookin coooool :lol:

Image041.jpg

chipstick

True I could paint them white actually.

why is your slam panel cut down so much? don't need to cut it that much with the standard 16v inlet.

indeed two will be sufficient on a steel bonnet, and most well made composite items.

My slam panel is hardly trimmed at all, just as much as is needed, no more.

The reason it flexes is because there are a couple, or 3 holes along the outside edge which screw through the fan couling. On my couling, these are snapped and cracked so it offers no support for the slam panel. On shutting the bonnet the slam panel bends down with the movement so it wont clip in easily.

I am not looking forward to cutting the holes!

james_pug

Anyone got any picture of them fitted from the under side of the bonnet and the headlamp panels the pins fit to? I'll be fitting some on mine at some point.

harryskid

Whats wrong with bonnet pins , not posh enough i suppose !

Cameron

Whats wrong with bonnet pins , not posh enough i suppose !

They won't let you go round the 'ring with conventional pins (they hurt bikers) so will make you tape them up, they're much much neater too!

chipstick

Traditional pins just look cheap to me. Too raised.

Paul_13

May be worth strengthening the headlamp panels where the pins go through, I've had one rip out and savaged the panel.

Nearly a brown pant moment when that ripped out!

allye

P1010250.jpg

You can see where I put mine on here, although I've seen them done loads of different ways so its up to you. Also its cool sharing a part with le mans car etc ^_^

chipstick

^ noted ta. Il put a thick square off cut of sheet metal under the fixing points then

james_pug

May be worth strengthening the headlamp panels where the pins go through, I've had one rip out and savaged the panel.

Nearly a brown pant moment when that ripped out!

How/why did that happen? Surely there quite a strong area, You seem to be very unlucky with parts! ( polyrace bushes only lasting a few miles, loads of engine failures etc)

harryskid

Traditional pins just look cheap to me. Too raised.

Each to their own, pins are great on rally cars ! :D

Anthony

My slam panel is hardly trimmed at all, just as much as is needed, no more.

The reason it flexes is because there are a couple, or 3 holes along the outside edge which screw through the fan couling. On my couling, these are snapped and cracked so it offers no support for the slam panel. On shutting the bonnet the slam panel bends down with the movement so it wont clip in easily.

I am not looking forward to cutting the holes!

Would it not be easier (and a damned sight tidier) to just replace the cowling to put the strength back into the slam panel?

Bonnet still opens and shuts fine on my 205 with the slam panel modified to clear the breather, PAS pipe and inlet on my 205 GTi-6.

welshpug

I was going to say what Anthony said :D I've got a cowling if you want one too :P

cheaper than a set of locking aerocatches ;)

Paul's failure there looks like someone has been splodging that panel up with some pidgeon s*it welding ground down, certainly not how an untouched panel would tear.

just some large penny/repair washers will suffice to spread the load.

Edited by welshpug