• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dom604

Arp Bolts, Bottom End Mods

dom604

Hi I'm building a class6 autograss 205 mi16... Iv got the car and engine. I'm just stuck...

When reading up the mi16 was known to let go of its bottom end...

I tried searching but struggled to find anything....

I want to reduce the risk of this so have been looking and found baffled sumps... Oil pump springs... And arp bolts. But I haven't found where to purchase for a good price!

I also removed my sump and noticed it had about 10mm spacer? This standard or a mod?

So question is. I want to strengthen the bottom end. I'm on a tight budget. So cheap as poss. So don't want to buy unecessery parts.

I will start a build thread when I get chance and I get pictures.

Any help wouldne great.

Thanks Dom

brumster

The spacer is normal on all 1.9 alloy block XU's.

On my spare engine (a 1.9 mi16) I run a standard bottom end with the ARP bolts (and usual oil control mods) and have given it plenty of abuse up to 7250rpm without any issues.... yet :-) (touches wood)...

(edit: to qualify that, as I spot you're a new member - it's a competition car, tarmac stage rally, so has no easy time of it....)

Edited by brumster

wicked

@ brumster: which oil control mods did you make?

@ Dom: ARP bolts can be found on Ebay in the US, but beware that the 205/306 bolts are on backorder @ ARP, so check first if they have them in stock

For oil pump springs you go to the pug dealer (S16/RFS spring)

brumster

@ brumster: which oil control mods did you make?

New OE pump

PTS sump baffle (actually pattern copy by Longman, but important thing I think is it's that particular design)

Grp A uprated pressure spring

19 row oil cooler

Decent 10W40 oil

Fill it right up to max, and run it around that at all times :)

welshpug

which is a standard XU10 spring which will cost you a few pounds from a dealer :)

ash mi16

New OE pump

PTS sump baffle (actually pattern copy by Longman, but important thing I think is it's that particular design)

19 row oil cooler

Decent 10W40 oil

Fill it right up to max, and run it around that at all times :)

is this the spring your on about?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Group-Peugeot-Oil-Pump-Spring-Pressure-Relief-Valve-205-309-GTi-MI16-/280742248008?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item415d8abe48

Edited by ash mi16

wicked

No, it's a 6bar spring; go to the pug dealer and ask for part nr: 1157 11

It's the same but cheaper.

The PTS one is 8 bar?

@brumster: is the PTS sump baffle identical with Constella one?

Edited by wicked

dom604

That's good to know. Slightly gutted tho as was told its a 2.0.... Is ther any benefits of a 1.9? What mods can I do? I have been offered Kent cams out of a 2.0. He doesn't no any info on them so not sure.

How do I tell what gearbox is in it?

Are most mods for the 1.9 and 2.9 the same?

I have bought a cambelt and a waterpump. And think I orderd it for a 2.0. Does that matter aswel?

wicked

2.0's are iron blocks, 1.9 alu blocks, so yes big diffs....

dom604

O... Ok then. Please say the 1.9 is better ....

Edited by dom604

welshpug

The PTS one is 8 bar?

@brumster: is the PTS sump baffle identical with Constella one?

no, its 6 bar.

constella sump baffle attaches to the bottom end differently in most cases, pug sport ones attach to the mains bolts meaning you have less chance of sump leaking (constella ones are sandwiched between sump and block meaning double the amount of sealing area)

welshpug

O... Ok then. Please say the 1.9 is better ....

neither is better than the other, the water pumps wont fit each other properly.

alloy blocks corrode and the iron blocks wear and are 17 kilos heavier in total, cams can be interchanged to a point.

dom604

That's not too bad. Mine doesn't look bad condition. I'll have to price up a waterpump and cambelt kit for it.

What's good mods for the engine? I have some gsxr itb and megasquirt. Ino alot don't like them but I have mates that have used it before. And know where to get it mapped properlly

welshpug

make sure you have a decent length manifold with a nice curve in it, and no silicone joiners :)

dom604

How do you no if decent length... I was going to run standard inj.

welshpug

a decent length places the filter right above the lowered radiator, not poking into the bonnet...

IIRC something around 350-380mm is sensible but you'd need to ask Sandy brown about it specifically, he and Colin Satchell have done several bike body based induction setups.

dom604

Ok cheers. I'll try dropping a pm.

I don't know if im being stupid but how could you join them without silicone joins? Sounds gd tho.

dom604

Iv got big rad in it aswel from a BMW. And I have a big bulge on the bonnet. I just want it to keep cool.

dom604

Is the arp bolt number I need 117-6101? I have found couple sets.

wicked

Yes; 117-6101

@welshpug; do you have picture of a PTS sump baffle?

Alan_M

no, its 6 bar.

constella sump baffle attaches to the bottom end differently in most cases, pug sport ones attach to the mains bolts meaning you have less chance of sump leaking (constella ones are sandwiched between sump and block meaning double the amount of sealing area)

Have Pug Sport changed the design then as my PTS baffle attaches using the sandwich method.

brumster

Aye my PTS baffle is a sandwich jobbie; and definately different to the last Constella one I looked at :). Like I said, technically got an original PTS baffle, but a pattern copy commissioned by Longman, I believe. Seems to have more of a windage tray 'top' to it that the ones I've seen, from memory?

OP: If yours is definately an aluminium block then it's unlikely it's a 2 litre, although it *could* be if someone had splashed out on custom pistons and liners... but probably unlikely.

If it's a cast iron block but with the 10mm spacer, that's not impossible, particularly if it's got a tin sump rather than an aluminium cast sump. If the previous owner had decided to put a tin sump on it, it would need the spacer to ensure the sump was the right capacity and presumably clears the oil pump.

Edited by brumster

Miles

All PTS baffles have been the same, Many people have copied them inc what was Longman, and Constella etc. The main bearing kit is again to stop the block from moving more than anything else

The PTS spring is different to the 2.0 one, But sadly I don;t have one to compare now, Mind my mate will have one but finding it is another matter.

The 2.0 cam's can fit the 1.9, you may just have to remove the Cam Sensor bit, But then using the Dizzy will be a pain as the drive won;t be there but on aftermarket stuff it's not a issue

Edited by Miles

welshpug

Have Pug Sport changed the design then as my PTS baffle attaches using the sandwich method.

must be the iron block kit I've seen then :)

Sign in to follow this