• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Uberderv

1.8Td Driveshafts In A Hdi Box

Uberderv

It did drop a bit yes, does that mean box off? When you move it into position for 5th or reverse you can feel something is stopping it.

Anthony

I believe if you drop the diff out you can reach your finger inside to sort it out (never personally done it, but was recommended by a couple of people in a recentish thread about this very issue - do a search and you should find it) but with a bit of patience you can drop the selector shaft back down and sort of hook it back into the selector forks properly, thus giving you a full compliment of gears again.

welshpug

You can sort it without taking the box apart, just drop the lever back down and turn it then lift back up, you can sort if by taking the diff casing off but I've never done that.

stick it into a gear when its in the correct position and it wont drop down.

Uberderv

Thanks for the info chaps, so remove the pin holding the arm on, remove arm and lower the rod into the box and turn it how many degrees approx? Will I feel it engage something inside? If that's correct the pop it into gear and re fit the arm.

pug_ham

You can do it from above if you have a strong telescopic magnet to hold the shaft while you drop it down to turn & re-align it.

Diff cover doesn't need to come off imo.

g

Uberderv

Hi Graham, how about welding wire or a stainless tie wrap through the hole? I don't suppose you have a pic of what I am trying to re attach so I can picture how much turning is required?

pug_ham

The tie wrap / welding wire method would work but you still need to hold the centre of the shaft to lift the arm off & allow the selector to clear the internal fork & turn it to where it needs to be so a strong magnet is better imo becaiuse you never need to loose contact with the selector shaft because you need to drop it close to flush with the box iirc but it would be an added safety measure when using a magnet.

It doesn't attach anywhere, just sits on the other side of the fork to enable it to move in both directions (left & right) as you move the gearstick / selector arm.

I think you'll need to move it clockwise.

With the gearbox trying to select fifth, remove the pins while holding the selector shaft with the magnet & rotate it slightly to clockwise so it shoud be sliding down the side of the fork, when it clears the bottom, turn it clockwise until you can lift it back up again & then refit the arm & pins.

Can you get a pic of how the selector arm you swapped is sat with the box in neutral now?

g

Uberderv

Cheers Graham, here is a couple of pics in neutral-

IMAG0458.jpg

IMAG0456.jpg

pug_ham

Yeah, that's to far over & you need it to sit more centrally with the box in neutral.

Engage first gear & that is where it should be sat in neutral imo.

gbsa.th.jpg

This pic is of a (dirty) standard box.

Internally the arm sits between a fork on the other arm which proturudes out the back of the box & when you move the smaller one it moves the other in or out of the box housinn to select the gears.

g

Uberderv

That's great thanks, will give it a go Sunday night and report back :)