• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Strictly_Derv

Big Turbo'd Derv Gearbox Options

Strictly_Derv

I have a 205 with a 1.9 dt lump in but i'm still using the standard 1.8 box which is stupidly short esp with the wheels i'm using (it can top out easily on a straight and fuel consumption is bad) and am hoping to fit a TD04 turbo to it soon so I need another box ideally.

With these turbo's fitted the engine will generally have to rev higher to get them spooling up compared to say a Garret T2 which is on the car ATM so I need to sort out another gear box for the car.

Does anyone know of a box that will fit 205's with a good final drive?

The current box sits at 3200 at 60mph and the redlines 5000rpm

Obvious option is the 306 HDI box but I've read the HDI box is to long for 'revvy' big turbo'd XUD's

Anthony

Are you sure that you've even got a TD 'box fitted at the moment?

From memory, the 'box in my 205 TD was geared for approximately 25mph/1000rpm in 5th - much longer than yours appears to be.

The gearing on your current box, if your figures are correct, is closer to that of a 1.6 GTi gearbox - no surprising thus that it's far too short for a TD!

(this is all of course assuming standard tyre sizes - if you're running small profiles on your wheels then that'll throw the gearing well out)

welshpug

405/306 TD box will give 3k @ 80 mph give or take a few on 185 60 14

Strictly_Derv

Well its the box that came with the car as standard (1.8 DT) the reason is the wheels 175 50 13's :blush:

Even standand I found it revving at just under 3k at 60mph on a sat nav. My rev counter sits at 500rpm when it off, does this mean its reading high?

Anthony

With tyres that small it's no surprise that it's feeling well undergeared.

Even a 306 HDi box will be distinctly on the short side when the tyres are reducing the effective gearing that much.

Quick calculation suggests that those wheels are reducing the gearing by around 13% compared to the correct 185/60R14's - that might not sound like much, but remember that the difference between say a 1.6 and 1.9 gearbox is only 10%...

Strictly_Derv

They are pretty small, fitted to 13" mini alloys haha they wont stay like this forever, 4 Bridgstone Petenzas, 5mm tread for £65 posted, couldn't resist. And they grip really well sowhen these are dead I'll upgrade sizing I think.

Is the HDI box the longest ratio that you can get for these cars without spending silly money?

Strictly_Derv

With tyres that small it's no surprise that it's feeling well undergeared.

Even a 306 HDi box will be distinctly on the short side when the tyres are reducing the effective gearing that much.

Quick calculation suggests that those wheels are reducing the gearing by around 13% compared to the correct 185/60R14's - that might not sound like much, but remember that the difference between say a 1.6 and 1.9 gearbox is only 10%...

Original wheels are 165 70 13 on my car

Anthony

The Xsara HDi gearbox is reportedly longer and still BE fitment - not sure if there's anything longer than that commonly available.

There was a topic where it was discussed fairly recently if you do a search.

Strictly_Derv

Thanks for your help. I do have a 1.9 XUD box in the garage which is inbetween the HDI and 205 TD box (3k at 70mph on my old 306 DT), I wonder if it will be a good all rounder for rev's and economy....

omega

ive got a hdi gearbox in a 406 thats sitting on my drive doing nothing....

peter

I searched for a while then posted a similar thread for my td 205. There's only the hdi box or as mentioned by Anthony the xsara one may be longer.

Strictly_Derv

I've read on Pug306.net that HDI box's are too long for a big turbo'd xud as you need to get them revving otherwise its too laggy.

What gear box's do you lot fit to tuned/turbo'd GTI's?

peter

The hdi one isn't really that much longer I had the 1.9 dt one on my 205 diesel and it would be nearly on the governor down the 1/4 mile and on the road would just sit sit at 120 (195 45 15 tyres) so the hdi would be better.

But your engine isn't going to rev any higher anyway it can't rev more than 5252 unless your running different fuel etc...

And for the chavs that think there 306 revs to 6k no really it won't.

What gear box's do you lot fit to tuned/turbo'd GTI's?

1.9 gti box gives a top speed of only 135 on my 2.0 turbo because of it's relatively low rpm limit 6250 -6500

Edited by peter

Strictly_Derv

Gov-modded pumps can rev to 6k+ (I have one in the garage that can do 5,500 or 6k cant remember which) my old engine did 5500 but I didn't dare push it more

These engine can rev with the right mods

Jarrus

Hey dude, nice to see you here :)

Put the 306 TD box on and see what it's like before buying another another box.

Also when the times come for new tyres then 185/55/14's would be a good or 185/60/13's if you want to keep those snazzy wheels.... (I think you should)

Strictly_Derv

Hey dude, nice to see you here :)

Put the 306 TD box on and see what it's like before buying another another box.

Also when the times come for new tyres then 185/55/14's would be a good or 185/60/13's if you want to keep those snazzy wheels.... (I think you should)

Hi mate.

I think your right TBH. Would be the easiest/cheapest option. Need to source a clutch fork as this one was missing.

I did have 185 60 13 on before but the tyres where s*ite.

Ideally I'd like 175 55 13's/ 185 55 13's

madspikes

I used a 306 D-Turbo box for my supercharged GTi - my thread for more details.

Mads Thread

I find first gear far too short, but the rest are fine, and the 5th gearing is great.

Mad.

Strictly_Derv

I used a 306 D-Turbo box for my supercharged GTi - my thread for more details.

Mads Thread

I find first gear far too short, but the rest are fine, and the 5th gearing is great.

Mad.

First gear is useless on xud's. I can accelerate off the mark quicker in 2nd than 1st :lol:

I know Daviewonder use's an HDI box on his 2.0 turbo. The top speed must be around 160mph with the gearing lol

welshpug

First gear is useless on xud's. I can accelerate off the mark quicker in 2nd than 1st :lol:

I know Daviewonder use's an HDI box on his 2.0 turbo. The top speed must be around 160mph with the gearing lol

not really, 8v turbo's hardly rev more than a modded diesel :lol:

Jarrus

185/55/13's should still be ok but really 60 profile tyres would be better to keep the speedo right.

Just get a HDI box and be done with it :P

Sign in to follow this