• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
allye

Good Looking Yet Quiet Back Box

allye

Hello!

Whilst the Rallye is off the road for the winter I'm going to put a new exhaust on it as the one I have is after market front to rear and is too loud for my liking. I'm going to replace it all manifold back. Centre section will be standard GTI but I would like a good looking back box, something like 2.5/3inch rolled tip. However I would like it quiet as possible!

Does such a thing exsist? Any suggestions?

Thanks, Ali :)

Edited by allye

welshpug

yup, its called get someone to make it for you :)

allye

yup, its called get someone to make it for you :)

Hmmmm, any suggestiong? I understand Miles makes exhausts? Also I see sportex 3inch back box pops up a lot on various websites, is that loud?

Paul_13

Hmmmm, any suggestiong? I understand Miles makes exhausts? Also I see sportex 3inch back box pops up a lot on various websites, is that loud?

A mate had one, was quite boomy.

I've got a standard back box, does the job well. Reasonably quiet and raspy when you want it to be. I got the full system off Miles :)

welshpug

3" is a tad large.

Miles does supply though doesn't make the exhausts.

petert

Normally you fit a smaller tailpipe to help quieten a noisy system down. Having an overly large pipe will be bad............for more than one reason. Do the job properly and people will respect you for having a well engineered car.

feb

I might also be interested in a good looking backbox (nothing chavy though) that is not too loud that mates to the remaining standard system.

matt.f

Me too,Magnex come highly recommend on here(although not made anymore).

Edited by matt.f

feb

Oreca does a GrpN system but being 48mm wide and even if you buy the backbox it won't mate the standard middle section.

How louder does a Magnex backbox sound? I would like something that is quiet when cruising but don't mind it louder when giving it some.

Edited by feb

allye

ANY exhaust with group n near the name will be a raspy loud non forgiving exhaust! :lol:

Matt Holley

Sportex is very loud, I had one on my first gti and it was unbearable at 70mph on the mway.

I've had a magnex on my current 205 since I had it and it's easy to live with, sound tested around 90db everywhere I have taken it even with the 200+bhp engine.

harryskid

I run Miles full system on my rally car with a gti6 on throttle bodies. I have done one rally with Miles system and it passed the noise test at 90des :D

Wes

ive got standard centre and a magnex back box on mine and its 89db when tested on a track day with a gti6 lump.

allye

Cheers wes, I'll keep an eye out for one. As Welshpugs suggestion about some one making me one I'v emailed Torque tech, a contact Miles passed onto me. I'll let you know what they say.

MiniGibbo

Allye what exhaust you got on your rallye? is it the original centre pipe and backbox?? im baffled as to what exhaust to get for mine as theyres not many "after market 205 rallye exhausts" on the market :huh:

allye

Allye what exhaust you got on your rallye? is it the original centre pipe and backbox?? im baffled as to what exhaust to get for mine as theyres not many "after market 205 rallye exhausts" on the market :huh:

I'v got a after market exhaust I bought from spikey ready converted for a gti6 engine'd 205, not sure of make I believe some of it is longlife! Its a 3inch tip.

Image051.jpg

Image050.jpg

As for TU engined 205's there are some exhausts about for the, I know 4-2-1 are next to impossible to find though, not sure what you'll do with the 106 engine as the TU mani's do vary slightly.

MiniGibbo

The guy i bought the car off reackons its got the 205 manifold, i was hoping the s1 rallye and 205 one would be the same so i could buy a 106 mani if i keep the 8v..

Just wondered if the backboxes where similar across the range ie able to fit a gti one.. after watching a few youtube vids i really want a omp inox :lol:

welshpug

have a look at the downpipe and subframe (or lack of on the 106....) and youll see why 106 manifolds are different ;)

looks much like a magnex tailpipe there, especially with the sleeve joint, longlife tend to be one piece, got 2 on my cars

Strictly_Derv

If you want it to look nice and be quiet why don't you just get a tip or a tip welded on...

Josh_Quant

looks nice

sportex is loud i agree

spit flames nice though :D

why not use same backbox?

Edited by Josh_Quant

allye

have a look at the downpipe and subframe (or lack of on the 106....) and youll see why 106 manifolds are different ;)

looks much like a magnex tailpipe there, especially with the sleeve joint, longlife tend to be one piece, got 2 on my cars

It had a centre silencer added by longlife to try and keep the noise down, good to know the rest is magnex though.

If you want it to look nice and be quiet why don't you just get a tip or a tip welded on...

I did think about that but I'm rather taken by the idea of a custom back box made by the above guys, :rolleyes:

Wes

yep defo looks like the same magnex back box as mine, the part number should be stamped on that little square plate on the under side of the box.

Spiky

ALi, looks like a magnex back box :)

Sign in to follow this