• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
td_dan

205 Stdt Restoration

td_dan

Here iv bought a 205 stdt it was advertised as non running as someone had drilled his fuel tank and he had sold a few bits and pices off it. He wanted £250 but after abit of the chatting and me fixing his laptop i got it for £100 lol. Once i got it home i thought id see if i could get it started so after abit of wiring and my mates battery it started straight away first turn of the key. What a smile i had.

so the work began i removed the tank and cleaned out the garage ready for it to be stored ready for some more work.

so far iv bought

•  
  • new springs and shocks
  • new tank
  • new black dash
  • new headlights and indicators
  • new rear lights
  • red carpet.
  • complete set of new arches

im hoping to fit the 306 dt engine and get it looking alot fresher with the gti interior and gubbins. anyway a few pics

IMAG0053.jpg

IMAG0052.jpg

IMAG0059.jpg

IMAG0063.jpg

IMAG0061.jpg

IMAG0064.jpg

IMAG0068.jpg

IMAG0070.jpg

all comments welcome and the dodgy wiring isnt staying it was just to get it firing :)

allye

I don't know why but I really would like a TD 205! I understand with some very simple tuning and the addition of a front mouted intercooler they go rather well?

Good idea to replace that amazing interior! Looks a good car and a complete bargain :) Look forward to the updates

Strictly_Derv

Looks a tidy motor. Never seen an STDT in that colour!

As your doing the 1.9 conversion I'd suggest removing the twin fans cowling and get slimlines and make a lowered bracket for the rad so you can fit a FMIC.

These cars are pretty quick with a 1.9 and stage 1 tune, mine just keeps up with my mates 60 plate Polo GTI which has the 1.4 TSI 180 bhp engine.

(It's max tait off Pug306.net BTW)

m_attt

any links to how to tune these up for a bit more power?

Strictly_Derv

any links to how to tune these up for a bit more power?

If your running the 1.8 then it will have a lucas pump and KKK K14 turbo. I had mine running 20psi, was good for a few seconds then just heat soaked as they have no intercooler

td_dan

cheers max. im megane_dan on pug306.net lol. and dont worry iv got my slimlines ready :)

td_dan

now the tanks off and out the way

IMAG0066.jpg

i did some digging around the usual area's (headlights) and found a few bits of rust

IMAG0058.jpg

IMAG0054.jpg

IMAG0056.jpg

also found a spot in the boot.

Unfortunatly due to working 3 jobs i get only 1 day a week on the car so updates wont be thick and fast. I hoping a mates mate is gonna come and quote me happy about sorting the rust and im gonna strip EVERYTHING out inside just incase there's more rust.

also ordered a tub off 2.5ltr of waxoyl so hoping that will be enough lol

one more thing. does anyone know the colour i can make out MO i think the other two letters are CN but not 100%

td_dan

^^^ cheers mate iv read that before was a very nice car. The colour is aztec gold for anyone interested :)

Strictly_Derv

Don't often see that colour. When you do the swap make sure you don't do what I did and put the 1.8 box on! It's really close ratio and With 175 50 13 tyres mine tops out in no time when flooring it and fuel ecomony is bad :( Put a HDI box on

Edited by Strictly_Derv

td_dan

Thts what im goin for. Im not in a rush so gonna make sure i have a good setup

td_dan

im thinking of going for a 306 hdi box with 306 driveshafts in gti-6 hubs with gti-6 brakes, 205 wishbones and 1.9 struts. will this work?

Paul_13

You'll need to swap the diff over from the 205 box or change the NS inner cv cup to the 306 version.

306 hubs will give you positive camber (you don't want this)

the rest of it is fine :)

td_dan

i have to change the inner cup even tho im using the hdi box with 306 driveshafts?

Edited by td_dan

Paul_13

306 driveshafts won't fit without modifications to them. 1.9gti shafts hold up fine.

Sorry forgot to add that to the previous post.

td_dan

cheers paul. will the 1.9 shafts fit the hdi box and the gti-6 hubs?

td_dan

right managed to get out of work earlier than usual so had about 3 hours daylight to find more rust lol. So i started in the boot and found this:

IMAG0075.jpg

then i got a bit carried away and ended up with this:

IMAG0074.jpg

had a problem with the passenger seat bolts so got to remove them another day

IMAG0076.jpg

then when i had finished i put it al away and just cant get in there anymore lol

IMAG0077.jpg

comments welcome as usual. next i got to remove the engine and bodywork can begin.

Strictly_Derv

Looks like a fun project, wish I had the space to keep mine and mate it mint and get a cheap runaround for week.

I think you should go for some Retro 13's like mine ;)

td_dan

lol not sure about wheels havent thought that far ahead lol

dirtdog

Sorry if i'm bumping this...

How is this coming along? Nice to see another in mayfair / MOCN colour...or as my log book says..."beige". Looking at the wheels i'm glad I got rid of them!

td_dan

yes mate its still going iv removed the engine and subframe now so im getting ready to weld it up

mmatthej1

Hi - how have you got on with your project?

(we have an STDT and thinking about same engine switch!)