• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davey sprocket

What Sheet Steel For Repair Patches?

davey sprocket

OK, so some may have seen my other topic when I started cleaning up the underside of the boot floor and fuel tank area...

I've found at least three places that need minor repairs and to that end, this week I've managed to buy a s/h MIG welder and am about all kitted up to use it.... everything except any metal to either practice technique, get a base setting or make up the repair panels I need. :blush:

I've never done any metal work (well, not since I left school 20yrs ago!) so I'm a bit lost, I don't have any spare panels lying around (how I wish I still had the spares car still sat out on the drive!) and I don't know a local steel supplier.

If I can find a supplier, what gauge of material do I want for repairs under the car? I can tell it's a fair bit thicker than the outer body panels are but is it 1mm, 1.2mm or thicker? I guess there probably isn't just one answer and that different thicknesses were used for different panels but any help would be appreciated.

welshpug

Ask for Zintec from your local motorfactor, its a zinc coated sheet for repairs, comes in a few gauges but they'll advise which is best, iirc its a brand name so they may not have it but should know what you're on about.

You will need to clean up the sheet where you're welding and make sure you don't breathe the fumes.

JoshGti

Davey, as above really, I used the same stuff to rebuild my inner arch. I was told to feather the edges of it to remove the zinc coating where you will actually be welding it, as it will burn off when you weld it anyway and when zinc burns off you can get zinc poisoning. Depends how long your welding for but as your car is likely to be galvanised and if your under the car you will be enclosed enough to be inhaling it.

It's basically like having to flu, fever, headaches and the trots are all symptoms.

On a plus note, B&Q sell zinc coated sheet in 1.2mm thickness as its where I got a sheet of it, about £12 for a 500x500mm sheet iirc. I also have a large strip of 2mm sheet steel here (not zinc coated) your welcome too cut some off for free if you want,.

davey sprocket

Thanks chaps, I'll heed the warnings about the zinc fumes.

B&Q would be fantastic if they have sheet steel, I would never have though of looking in there! They're about half a mile away and actually open at useful times for me, being stuck in the office all week!

Josh, the offer of the steel sheet is much appreciated and I might take you up on that at some stage but its probably a bit thick for what I need to do at the mo.

JoshGti

No worries davey, B&Q do do it in smaller sheets too I think but I just bought the big one as I had a lot to do, I'll check the shed when I'm home but I think I used it all up, depends how much you need!

davey sprocket

Thanks Josh, to be honest, B&Q is so convenient for me I don't really mind if I end up paying a bit over the odds for the materials. I'll steal my wife's car when she gets back :)

I can't see me pointing the welder at the car this weekend, I just want to start practicing on the same type of material I'll actually be using on the car.

You never know though, I might find deep hidden skills I never knew I had and I'll quickly move onto the actual job in hand! :unsure:

welshpug

I'd go to your motorfactor tbh, likely to be cheaper than b&q.

davey sprocket

OK, well one motor factor says he normally has some but his supplier (Hadrian) have been unable to supply him any the last few times he's tried to order any.

The other one, the guy just shrugged his shoulders.

I guess you must have some more useful places up your way WP.

B&Q's stuff isn't zinc coated but that's not the end of the world. But at £18 for a 500mm square piece @ 1mm, they can keep it. I just can't justify that for practicing on.

Found a stock holder through ebay that's 15miles away but like just about everywhere, they're not open at the weekend.

So, that's another week wasted.

It really shouldn't need to be this hard. :(

Tom Fenton

Go and drive round some local bodyshops, they will have skips full of dented wings etc and will probably happily donate some for you to practise on in return for biscuits.

davey sprocket

Go and drive round some local bodyshops, they will have skips full of dented wings etc and will probably happily donate some for you to practise on in return for biscuits.

It's a great idea Tom and I'm sure it must work in some parts of the world for some people. However:

1. There are so many errm, 'undesirables' driving around climbing in skips looking for scrap metal that I can't see me finding a skipfull without a 12ft barbed wire fence and machine gun towers around it.

2. I'm at work from 8AM 'til 5-6 PM Mon-Friday and just about every business around here shuts at midday on Saturday, so if like today my wife has her car in use in the morning I'm a bit buggered for the actual driving around part.

3. The only bodyshop guys I know well enough to stroll into are the guys that I would normally use for my welding work, so starting with the line "I've bought myself a welder and won't be needing your services but have you got any metal I can have" probably needs a bit of work.

Most of the problem here is me and my circumstances I accept, I just thought there might be better support for the hobbyist. I also don't have any contacts in the motoring world, which I'm sure must help some of you guys.

Unless I have a brainwave in the week, I'll have to order some from an ebay seller but any cost savings there are swallowed up by shipping costs unfortunately.

JoshGti

I'm surprised B&Q don't sell the stuff anymore, my wing must have used up the last of it in the local area with the amount of welding I've had to do :lol: sorry to send you astray mate!

harryskid

Do you know any plumbers or heating engineers, being a heating eng my self i keep old boiler panels of varous thickness. Some are mild steel and some are galvanised and just right for welding. If you know any, for a couple of beers they would most likley let you have some as they are not worth much for scrap.

brumster

I get all my steel/ali from www.metals4u.co.uk. I used to go to a trade place just outside Coventry, who were miles cheaper, but they all of a sudden decided to go stupid on their prices, plus they wouldn't cut to length so I once ended up sitting outside in the pissing rain with a hacksaw, chopping square section steel up to get in the car. Feck this for a game of soldiers, I thought, so I now go to the above. Prices aren't too bad unless you're in the trade, I guess, but they are very convenient and they have good selection - and their delivery is very quick.

davey sprocket

I get all my steel/ali from www.metals4u.co.uk. I used to go to a trade place just outside Coventry, who were miles cheaper, but they all of a sudden decided to go stupid on their prices, plus they wouldn't cut to length so I once ended up sitting outside in the pissing rain with a hacksaw, chopping square section steel up to get in the car. Feck this for a game of soldiers, I thought, so I now go to the above. Prices aren't too bad unless you're in the trade, I guess, but they are very convenient and they have good selection - and their delivery is very quick.

Surely there's an error on their pricing for 1mm mild steel sheet, 500mmX500mm?? £17.75 + VAT + delivery?? :unsure:

That's more expensive than B&Q! In fact it's more expensive than their own next size up, 1000X1000, which is 4 times as much metal. :lol:

Anyway, if I'm ordering online, there's plenty of options available.