• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davey205

106 Gti Reliability?

davey205

From reading different posts etc on the net i get the impression that the 106 gti is not ageing very well at all, I have seen one that seems in good order and i just wanted to find out a bit more about them.

gruffa

A friend of mine borrowed his brothers a few years back for 2 weeks and absolutely loved it, He said it handled as well as a 205 Gti.

Miles

Rust, Beams and gearbox's kill them, Other than that cracking chassis and very good engine

welshpug

they have their weak points but it depends massively non how its been looked after and used/abused, as with any vehicle.

corrosion in the rear wheel arches and front inner wings is starting to become common especially on older cars.

rear beams aren't as hardly as the 205/309/306 design, and can cost quite a bit more to put right.

gearboxes are a bit naff to be honest, rare to have one on its original if its been driven hard...

Wiring seems much more hardy, but they aren't that old yet...

Rear brake calipers much the same story as 1.9 205's, they have a load compensator which loves to seize up.

front calipers are the same as many 306's, ATE with a 247mm disc of the same type, discs same as 1.9 205's.

driveshafts can be an issue on lowered cars.

can't think of anything else at the moment, but there's plenty of info out there on the 106 RR and 106 owners.

davey205

Seems ok to look at quick glance its on pistonheads silver 66k 2002 £2750 < little overpriced though?

davey205

Maybe i'll hold out for a 306 seems the better car overall

Daviewonder

Maybe i'll hold out for a 306 seems the better car overall

No where near as fun though. I've owned my 106 gti for over 10 years and never got bored of it. I dread ever getting into a situation where I have to choose between that and my 205.

Although 4 s/h gearboxes and a recon 1 later I'd have to say they're not the most reliable motor on the road :)

welshpug

far from the worst though.

Tom Fenton

Is it still the diff that is the weak point on the MA box? I remember from years ago a mate had an AX GT, and it smashed the diff.

welshpug

yup, and the input shaft bearing as it has a plastic bit between the bearings, and after that the casing and synchro rings.

best solution? a BE box :lol:

depends a lot on how they are driven and the use though, Nick Charles's SB engined 106 race car is well into the 220's (n-a though) on an MA box and plate diff and hasn't broken much more than synchro's I believe.

Whereas a Saxo Tarmac rally car I service for sometimes which was a Citroen Sport group N spec, i.e essentially standard, has had 5 gearbox related failures!

Needless to say its on a home brewed BE conversion and mid 180's bhp without any transmission issues for 2 years now.

Edited by welshpug

davey205

seems to be a problem on both dare i say it? - cough Saxo VTS and 106 the gearbox & driveshafts, so the be box would have the xu driveshafts? if they are stronger and a proven design i wonder why peugeot decided to change them for the 106 then go back to using them for the 307, weight reduction? or cheaper ?

I have just got this through from the seller after asking about the rear beam -

"No tinworm (rust under car?) its looking good from underneath, had it on a ramp not long ago. Theres a rattle at the back when going over bumpy roads, had it checked at 3 different garages and they all said they couldnt see no problems so couldnt pinpoint where it was coming from."

Bushes? i remember my last 205 used to bang about was told it was just the bushes and turned out the whole beam was shagged If only i knew then what i know now!

Edited by davey205

welshpug

rear beam bushes are fairly common on them, easy enough to fix and not expensive.

davey205

Thanks for everyones input, so;

rust - front wing and rear arch - bolt on, bolt off panels?

beams - is there a way to "upgrade" to a 205 / 309 / 306 one, wider track but would the wheels stick out too far for mot?

gearbox - be conversion sounds the way to go

it all doesn't sound too bad actually, at least if it rusts the rear arches or wings its not terminal like the Puma i was looking at last week!

It all sounds very similar to the weak spots of the cough Saxo Vts, other than the bad image Saxo's have any reason not to go for one over a 106? I'm not really thinking of it I find the bodykit a bit over the top on Saxo's, prefer the 106 more subtle refined looks. But if a good one came up who knows?!?

Lastly someone who owns / have driven one , what are they like around town are they quite smooth / easy to drive ?

Edited by davey205

welshpug

you dont need extra width at the back, youll give it more understeer (same track as a 205 up front, 40mm narrower at the back...)

very easy to drive, of course the issues are the same as a saxo :lol: saxo's are cheaper too, quite like the look of a phase 1, no more bodykit than a gti!

james_pug
I have just got this through from the seller after asking about the rear beam -

"No tinworm (rust under car?) its looking good from underneath, had it on a ramp not long ago. Theres a rattle at the back when going over bumpy roads, had it checked at 3 different garages and they all said they couldnt see no problems so couldnt pinpoint where it was coming from."

Rattle sounds like it's the start of the team beam going.

Rust isn't on bolt on parts, inner wings under the ecu and fuse box difficult to see without removing them both and the rear can usually be seen from inside the boot they split between the boot floor and arches.

BE gearbox conversions are expensive

2750 seems very overpriced.

davey205

Rattle sounds like it's the start of the team beam going.

Rust isn't on bolt on parts, inner wings under the ecu and fuse box difficult to see without removing them both and the rear can usually be seen from inside the boot they split between the boot floor and arches.

BE gearbox conversions are expensive

2750 seems very overpriced.

thanks for this, must admit i've hit a standstill as on what car to get.

JRL

I had a 106 quickilver and a 106 xsi and thought the handling was exceptional. I really would love to own an s1 rallye look out for one of those!

s1white.jpg

james_pug

thanks for this, must admit i've hit a standstill as on what car to get.

Why not a 205?

MiniGibbo

If the box goes just stick a s1 rallye box on it. They transform the car!!

205_sunderland

Your all missing a bit spot here aswell, dont forget the earliy gti's and vts are alot quicker than the later, i think its the single and 3 pin ecu that is different and for some reason later ones with 3 pin as way slower. My friend must have had nearly 50 vts and gti's together now as he always has at least 3 and he wouldnt touch a later one with a barge pole.

There pretty damn reliable id say when serviced well, my friend has had every issues possible with them over the years. They have problems with the cam covers leaking alot,clutch,gearbox,rot, imobilisers (easy fix,take the imob box out and unlock ecu) and rear beam. Thats the main ones i can think of but his may have niggles time to time but always seem to be on the road so id say reliable overall. The boxes dont blow up either they usually go over time so it will still get you around until you get another

willo-1

god i miss my lil frenchies..

Daviewonder

Lastly someone who owns / have driven one , what are they like around town are they quite smooth / easy to drive ?

Yes, just like any modern car. None of the jerkyness or idle issues of the 205.

Just get one. If you get a nice one I guarantee you won't regret it ;)

welshpug

2750 for a late car in good consition iusnt bad at all tbh.

willo-1

2750 for a late car in good consition iusnt bad at all tbh.

think spelling ..

2750 you mad...