• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
erbs

1.9 Or Mi16 Conversion?

erbs

just a reason as to why people put in the later engine? are they more reliable?

better on fuel?

quieter?

sorry if i ask loads of questions but i thought the 1.9s are pokey enough or can they not keep up with modern motoring?

dcc

Power

Torque

Fuel usage

Future parts availibility

Miles

It's moved on from there with the GTi6, yes maybe not quite as good but with better management the engine's run sweet as

Anthony

Future parts availibility

If anything that's a reason NOT to fit an Mi16, as an awful lot of bits from Peugeot are now listed as NLP and it's not like they were ever a common/mainstream engine and many bits were unique to it or shared only with the S16 which again wasn't that common in the grand scheme of things (although I don't doubt there's a lot of engines out there being hoarded in peoples garages).

8v's in one shape or form on the other hand were 10 a penny throughout most of the 80's and early 90's PSA ranges, and thus parts availibility is still good and should be for the foreseeable future.

Mi16's were always a straightforward period conversion that gave the 205 a decent turn of speed and better management/manners for a few hundred quid. I still argue that in terms of outright fun and enjoyment, it's the best conversion out there.

As Miles said, increasingly GTi-6 conversions are now being done as the engines are now cheap and readily available, and typically being younger and lower mileage don't need the rebuild that is pretty much mandatory for an Mi16 these days. GTi-6's share an awful lot of parts with the lesser 2.0 16v engines and thus parts will be available for a long time to come, particularly seeing as the GTi-6 engine was still available in the Xsara VTS until 2005 or so.

gruffa

If anything that's a reason NOT to fit an Mi16, as an awful lot of bits from Peugeot are now listed as NLP and it's not like they were ever a common/mainstream engine and many bits were unique to it or shared only with the S16 which again wasn't that common in the grand scheme of things (although I don't doubt there's a lot of engines out there being hoarded in peoples garages).

8v's in one shape or form on the other hand were 10 a penny throughout most of the 80's and early 90's PSA ranges, and thus parts availibility is still good and should be for the foreseeable future.

Mi16's were always a straightforward period conversion that gave the 205 a decent turn of speed and better management/manners for a few hundred quid. I still argue that in terms of outright fun and enjoyment, it's the best conversion out there.

As Miles said, increasingly GTi-6 conversions are now being done as the engines are now cheap and readily available, and typically being younger and lower mileage don't need the rebuild that is pretty much mandatory for an Mi16 these days. GTi-6's share an awful lot of parts with the lesser 2.0 16v engines and thus parts will be available for a long time to come, particularly seeing as the GTi-6 engine was still available in the Xsara VTS until 2005 or so.

So what you're basically saying is the Gti-6 engine is the way to go????

welshpug

or an 8 valve with decent management.

Anthony

So what you're basically saying is the Gti-6 engine is the way to go????

As with anything, it depends on individual circumstances/preferences and there is no single "right" answer - what you want from the car, what you're looking to spend, whether you're a trackday junkie, and whether you have any other special considerations (GTi-6 engines are a no-no in 205's in many competition classes for example).

For many, there's just as many reasons not to have a GTi-6 as there is for others to have one. To some, it makes the car, to others, it ruins it.

gruffa

As with anything, it depends on individual circumstances/preferences and there is no single "right" answer - what you want from the car, what you're looking to spend, whether you're a trackday junkie, and whether you have any other special considerations (GTi-6 engines are a no-no in 205's in many competition classes for example).

For many, there's just as many reasons not to have a GTi-6 as there is for others to have one. To some, it makes the car, to others, it ruins it.

I'm after a fast road car that is easy to do as I don't have any experiance in changing engines!!!!!!!

welshpug

bog standard well looked after 1.6 will suit that application.

gruffa

bog standard well looked after 1.6 will suit that application.

Nah, had two 1.6's and a 1.9 but want something a bit faster.

Baz

1.9's are crap, most are 'average' at best and don't rev, it's much harder to find a good one than it is a 1.6. Good 1.6's are where it's at. I'm not that niave really, but i just can't help thinking the 1.9 is a 'stressed' 1.6, they just don't last as long or take as much of a battering at all.

As Miles said, increasingly GTi-6 conversions are now being done as the engines are now cheap and readily available, and typically being younger and lower mileage don't need the rebuild that is pretty much mandatory for an Mi16 these days.

My opinion disagrees with this, GTi6's suffer mileage worse than Mi's ever did, for this reason most 6's need a rebuild these days too.

Plus they're lazy, heavy... etc, they just don't ideally suit a 205 IMO, whereas the characteristics of an Mi is much like a 1.6, so they do!

Edited by Baz

Anthony

My opinion disagrees with this, GTi6's suffer mileage worse than Mi's ever did, for this reason most 6's need a rebuild these days too.

I'd change that slightly to say that they for the most part don't suffer neglect as well as Mi's do, in particular bore wear - cared for, they seem to wear mileage well (see Miles's for example on something like 280k miles now and still making book power!) and there's plenty of high-mileage GTi-6's around going strong.

In my opinion, you can still go and get a good GTi-6 engine and drop it in with nothing more than a full service and cambelt/tensioner/pump change. You'd be a brave man to do that on an Mi16 these days if you want it to last more than a few months, and even then, the real extent of problems is often only visible once you take them to bits - badly corroded blocks for example.

Baz

Agreed, good points and i see where you're coming from, i guess this 70k Xsara i have proves that, you could drop the engine is as-is i reckon and see no issues whatsoever for at least a little while...

But put 120k mile GTi6 & Mi's next to each other in bits that have been treated the same, regular service intervals, oil changes etc etc, which would be the better prospect? :unsure::ph34r:

Edited by Baz

welshpug

gti6 surely? more torque + power..

or do you mean in terms of actual wear to the parts?

not quite sure why 1.9's are seen as so lazy, they're the same stroke and rod length as the 1.9 mi, granted the head holds them back a 1k rpm or so, but its no 2.0 8v CT engine :lol:

Edited by welshpug

boldy205

Nothings as much fun as ragging a TU3S!,

1.9 (8v i presume) or Mi16 conversion? EASY, Wanna go slow, or fast??!! :rolleyes:

Edited by boldy205