• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SmokyDiesel

Xud - Blue Smoke On Startup

SmokyDiesel

Hi,

Noticed recently that the diesel XUD engine in my TD is starting to cough out blue smoke on startup. Engine also runs a bit rough for the first few seconds as though the fuelling isn't quite right.

Once it's cleared its throat all seems well (especially with 167,000 miles under its belt).

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on possible causes - vale stem oil seals, turbo seals, etc.? If so, how easy are these to check?

It doesn't seem to blow smoke once on a run - more like something's allowing oil to trickle into the inlet or exhaust whilst the car's parked overnight.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

(with a car that matches my username!)

Paul_13

Sounds like turbo seals to me mate.

Anthony

Are you sure it's nothing more sinister than the usual poor glowplugs / worn bores that makes most XUD's smoke and stumble on 2/3 cylinders for a few seconds on a cold start?

welshpug

I'd certainly check the glow plugs as Anthony suggested, whip them out and hold them in some grips and apply 12v, they should glow red quite quickly.

Beware that they do get VERY hot!

Also check the breathers, mainly the one that goes to the air box as these can get pretty full up of oil residue.

at only 167k its a baby anyway, keep it sweet and it'll go on for twice that quite easily, mum's got to 299 before it died.

Tom Fenton

Usually this is a couple of options. Either one or more glow plugs is down, so the oily crap you get is a combination of diesel not burning and a bit of engine oil. Or it can be simply down to age/mileage- it is getting a bit tired hence hasn't got the compression it used to have, especially from cold.

Try the glow plugs first, if that doesn't improve matters then just live with it until it starts using too much oil to put up with it.

SmokyDiesel

Wow - nice speedy replies :)

Thanks guys, I'll try the glowplugs first as that's an easy fix (as long as I don't drop one and burn the garage down, LOL).

Thanks again,

Steve

Anthony

From memory you'll find that one of the glow plugs is a pain to get at, and chances are that'll be the one causing problems as it won't have been changed previously through laziness.

RossD

From memory you'll find that one of the glow plugs is a pain to get at, and chances are that'll be the one causing problems as it won't have been changed previously through laziness.

And make sure that if you do have to replace them, you get a reputable make. Back in my student days (being tight and poor!) I let the local factor supply me with the cheapest glowplugs they had for my 306 TD. Big mistake. They didnt even last a week, even worse, the tip on them had actually deformed, so getting them back out was interesting.....

Bosch or Beru are good makes.

SmokyDiesel

Bosch or Beru are good makes.

Thanks Ross - had seen Beru but wasn't sure what they were like.

welshpug

GSF stock or used to stock them, one set worked fine in my mum's 405 for 130k miles.

Sign in to follow this