• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob Turbo

Scrapping A Shell, Can't Tell The Dvla Anymore?

Rob Turbo

After breaking the 306 v6 estate, once I had everything off it that I wanted/could sell I had the shell taken away and weighed in as scrap, today I went to send the logbook off to the DVLA to tell them it's been scrapped, only to find there's no box to tick to say it's been scrapped anymore.

I had a look on the DVLA website, it says cars have to be taken to an authorised treatment facility to be "dismantled in an environmentally friendly way", they give you a certificate to say it's been disposed if properly and tell the DVLA you're not responsible for the car anymore.

The bit about breaking it says "If you have broken up the vehicle yourself, you must either continue to tax it or tell the DVLA that you are keeping it off the public road. You can do this by making a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification). You will need to make a SORN every year until you have taken it to an ATF, or told DVLA that you longer have it."

The problem is I don't have anything to say that I scrapped the car and I still have the logbook, I wasn't asked for the logbook or offered one of these certificates, it was a bare shell that they got, the engine, running gear and interior had all been removed so there was no dismantling to be done!

What am I supposed to do now? Keep sorning it forever?

Anthony

Just fill in the yellow trade section with the name of the scrapyard that you took it to, and that will get the car out of your name (and no longer your problem!)

brumster
You will need to make a SORN every year until you have taken it to an ATF, or told DVLA that you longer have it.

Forgive me if I'm missing something here, but write a letter to DVLA telling them you no longer have it - and problem solved?!

Miles

There's been a huge thing about this in the Historic Car club news letter, the reason for the scrap box to be omitted was because the law is now that all car's must be disposed of in accordance with the relevant laws at the time etc etc, Even worse with a old car with a Chassis as anything can happen to those.

If you do write a letter they could well fine you as you have not followed the correct procedure,

cRaig

Ah... I may well have exactly the same problem as you, when reshelling my midget I stripped it to a completely bare shell, and then got a scrap man to lift it from my driveway, wasnt worried about paperwork etc as the time, as I just wanted rid, and figured I could sort it later. Naturally, I have no idea who took the shell away now, as I didnt make a record of the address.

Would be interested to hear how you resolve this! I cant imagine the dvla will be happy with a letter saying I no longer have the car, surely they would be more interested in where its gone now?

Craig

Masekwm

As anthony said fill out the v5c with where it went,scribble a signature and send it in.

Call in a few weeks if you've had nothing from Dvla

cRaig

Mm, unfortunately I dont know where it went.. I called someone up, they collected it while I was at work. At the time I wasnt too fussed about where it went as I was more worried about getting it off the drive as it looked pretty unsightly.

tri_longer

Surely if it is a requirement for it to be disposed of correctly the scarpyards have to operate under these rules and should be aware of the correct procedure for this anyway.

Batfink

fake it.

To be honest when I scrapped my BMW I got them to fill in the logbook at the same time they took it away...

bensonmi

the amount of cars iv scraped that are still in my name is worrying! but nothings come of it, could help that i move house all the time! :rolleyes:

Baz

If you'd had that many they'd be knocking on your door asking if you're a trader...

Do as Anthony suggests, this is really the only way now. The yellow section basically puts a car into 'Limbo', they'll still have details of where the car is (or supposedly is!) should they really want to know, but in my experience they never really do and again, this serves as scrapping them too. I've always filled mine in the same, despite the salvage yard not being there for about 5 yrs now.

Every now and then i have an attack of conscience and phone the DVLA to check a few because i either haven't sent the forms off/can't remember/find a duplicate logbook or similar... etc.

Ignore the DVLA, they're useless idiots, you generally have to double check everything you do and send anything important recorded/signed for.

Surely if it is a requirement for it to be disposed of correctly the scarpyards have to operate under these rules and should be aware of the correct procedure for this anyway.

Of course! But in practise, it doesn't happen, hence i do it my way after learning the hard way, the only way to be accountable for yourself is to be just that. Proof of this is my '98 V70 AWD i got stuck with last year; it's been paid for, is a damn good working car but the tax ran out and the V5 never came, only months later to be discovered that it's been 'scrapped' so it's not meant to exist, let alone still be driving around on the road! :wacko: I don't have much economical choice but to actually scrap it. :(

welshpug

should be able to get a VIC done Baz?

Baz

Yes but it's not that simple, i've delved into it a little and seems ridiculously complicated unless anyone's actually done it and can prove otherwise? I've been told i have to write letters including pictures, details etc etc (yes, easy!) but then most probably take the car to Swansea (rather than just a local office like a VIC check) so as i say, i think the most economical thing to do is strip & scrap it or just sell it as spares.

Edited by Baz

1 FAT PUG

easy solution, fill the logbook out in joe bloggs name to a random house miles away and pop it in the post, end of the problem ;)

Anulfo

The only time ive ever disposed of a car was about a year ago.Made sure i went through the correct procedure and disposed of it at a reputable place.The scrappie dealt with the paperwork/logbook side of it for me.I got my readies and also an all important receipt to say i'd disposed of the car and job done!!!!Not had any comeback or tax renewal forms drop on my door mat at all.

Baz

easy solution, fill the logbook out in joe bloggs name to a random house miles away and pop it in the post, end of the problem ;)

Maybe, but depending on the circumstances, you could be prosecuted for fraud instead.

Not that likely, but I know which 'problem' i'd prefer...

Yellow section has worked for well over 7 years for me, when i call the DVLA, they've never linked the cars to me, so it clearly works.

Alternatively, call them on (Edit, the number has changed;) 0300 790 6802 and ask them what to do, but they'll probably tell you to write a letter explaining your situation etc... :rolleyes:

Edited by Baz

james_pug

Wait for the tax reminder to come through and then tell them you sold it a few months ago, you have to write them a letter saying when you sold it and sign it then just include in the letter you don't know the new owners address. I've had to do this to a shell a few years ago that I lost the log book to.

Baz

Funnily enough i just called them and went through about 6 cars with a very friendly & helpful young lady! She told me the yellow slip is in effect useless to them as they don't record what's written on it and the car get's placed into 'no registered keeper'. Thus confirming it is the easiest & therefore best option. Some of my cars are actually currently like this. :ph34r:

Strangely she told me that a 309 i asked her about isn't in my name, but it is in someone's name and has been liable for tax since it's last disc ran out, in '03. :lol:

This is how crazy it is, as i said to her, 'not that it matters to you or makes any difference, but i can tell you that car no longer exists.' She said i could write a letter to inform them of that if i wanted, but because i am not liable for it, it's not my problem. I said i would inform the guy i got it from, but i don't think he registered it either so it won't be his liability either!

Whoever's name it is still in is liable for it and they could actively chase it, wasn't there a similar case of this reported a few years ago where something along the lines of a car had been scrapped but never taken out of an elderly gent's name, who had died a good few years before, despite that DVLA were trying to 'fine' him? Stupid flawed system!

omega

if you take a car with a log book to a dvla scrapyard they do a certificate of destruction and send it to dvla.dosnt matter if its just a shell bits missing etc.

but if you just let your local scrapman take it it,or take it to a normal yard it will still be in your name so you will be liable,the only other way is to do use the yellow part of the form.

Rob Turbo

Yellow slip it is then!

Thanks for the info, I've scrapped cars this way for years, this is the first one I've came across this problem with, in the future I'll take the logbook with me to make things easier!

GLPoomobile

Stepping aside from actual procedure for a moment (like the DVLA are any good with procedure anyway!), and looking at this from a realistic point of view, what happens if you've got a scrap shell on your drive and it's get's nicked by Gypos?

Surely the DVLA would have to accept that you don't have it any more. Or do you think they'd demand a crime reference number to prove it? If that's the case I'm sure you could just phone up your local station, tell them it's been stolen but you're not bothered having it investigated as it wasn't worth anything, and just say all you need is the crime number for the DVLA.

Alan_M

Raising this thread again, what about a shell that longer resembles a car?

I've a red 205 that'll soon be a pile of steel, as there are panels I want to keep, and no doubt some off here will want. If I take said pile to scrapyard, how can I prove it's the vehicle on the V5c? Only option is the yellow section I suppose.

welshpug

give them, the bit with the VIN stamped into it :lol

• Like 1