• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stuart

Header Tank Cap

stuart

I ordered a new header tank cap from halfords earlier this week, since fitting it though, it doesn't seem to pressurise the coolant system (i.e. if I remove it when warm, no air escapes).

If I squeeze the top rad pipe, air just comes out of the overflow pipe, is it safe to say it's the wrong one?

It fits fine, just dont think it seals properly due to being too short.

welshpug

are you turning it to the second position?

I'd get one from peugeot tbh, they arent much more expensive :)

stuart

Didn't realise there was a 2nd position...how do you mean? I put it on and turned it until it stopped.

I only got it from halfords as they looked original. The last one I got from Peugeot was plastic.

Didn't realise there was a 2nd position...how do you mean? I put it on and turned it until it stopped.

I only got it from halfords as they looked original. The last one I got from Peugeot was plastic.

welshpug

yup, have a look at the neck and youll see a step, all pug ones are plastic these days

stuart

I see what you mean, it is tightened all the way though. Maybe they supplied me with a ph1.5 cap if they're any different? The car is a late '90 model so just after the change over.

Henry Yorke

it sounds like it is too short unless is not fitted properly.

welshpug

most pug caps are identical, bar the pressure all 205xu ones are

stuart

Hmm bit of a strange one then...doesn't look any shorter when compared to the plastic one I have on the rally car, maybe a mm or 2 if anything at all.

Maybe it's just faulty, will take it back and live with the a plastic one. Thanks for your help,

madmover

I did exactly the same as this. can anyone tell me what the pressure rating should be of the cap? My old one has nothing on but is very tired so needs replacing but I understand from searching around later GTI's had a 'higher pressure' rated cap? If anyone could tell me then it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

welshpug

1306 85 is a standard 1 Bar cap, 1306 84 is a turbo diesel 205 1.4 bar rad cap.

they're about a tenner at a dealer.

Sign in to follow this