• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TaffyTim

Tree Sap

TaffyTim

For a month or so now my car has been parked under this small tree:

IMAG0274.jpg

I had noticed that the tree had been dropping sap but didnt realise how much. Today i cleaned it and by just doing the bonnet and roof the water was black with the sap. The car was cleaned polished and waxed a couple of months ago and its not been used that much so its not picked up much driving dirt.

Some parts of the bonnet looked as if some one had been there with a dripping candle and most of the roof and the bonnet had a totally dull and almost pebble dash look to it with this stuff all over it. I wish Id taken a picture now, but just cleaning with the lambs wool side of my mit wasn't shifting it and was clogging up the mit so i had to use the bug remover side of the mit to get it off.

Now its off it really has damaged my paint and made it very patchy, theres also one spot where the lacquer was starting to go but this has seemed to have accelerated this and its starting to look rough(er).

IMAG0283.jpg

patchy bits are not clouds reflected in the bodywork, these are the damaged areas

IMAG0281.jpg

IMAG0275.jpg

When cleaning the car last I has noticed some crazy markings on the paint and this is where most of the fading has happened, I dont really know what caused these marks as them seem too random but each mark is quite uniform.

IMAG0279.jpg

Im really starting to wish that Id cleaned the car sooner or at least moved it away from that tree.

Edited by TaffyTim

P_Monty

If you find a solution (apart from not parking under trees...) let me know, exactly the same has happened to mine.

TaffyTim

If you find a solution (apart from not parking under trees...) let me know, exactly the same has happened to mine.

I didnt know sap cold be so vicious. I foolishly thought that it would almost act to protect the paint like a wax does :wacko:

muddatrucker

Its a killer, we live in a close with central parking in allocated bays, unfortunately theres a tree next to each car, if you're not getting it covered in berries its in this sappy s*it.

harryskid

Tree sap is bad stuff, as is bird crap. I don't know which is worst :)

ORB

Tree sap is evil, I see it daily on customers cars and it causes more bother than you would believe.

Here is how I would sort said problem.

-wait till it's very late/dark. Get a large auger drill bit in the cordless drill. Sneak to offending tree. Drill a hold as deep as you can diagonally downwards into to trunk. Fill with sea salt. Add a half pint of water. Plug up hole to avoid detection. Off to bed. Snigger at the tree each time you pass knowing it's car ruining days are over...

TaffyTim

Knowing my luck. If I did that I'd get the tree landing on my car when the salt does its evil work.

harryskid

Tree sap is evil, I see it daily on customers cars and it causes more bother than you would believe.

Here is how I would sort said problem.

-wait till it's very late/dark. Get a large auger drill bit in the cordless drill. Sneak to offending tree. Drill a hold as deep as you can diagonally downwards into to trunk. Fill with sea salt. Add a half pint of water. Plug up hole to avoid detection. Off to bed. Snigger at the tree each time you pass knowing it's car ruining days are over...

They say copper nails will do the same as well!

ORB

Tried it. Seldom works and takes ages.