• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tartanbloke

Old Car Surprises Civic Type R

tartanbloke

Evening all,

It is interesting that an 09 plate Civic Type R is not a quick as I thought and the driver of it was rather surprised that my old GTI could keep up.

I love old school GTI's...............:-)

Chris

jonny6

ha ha . cool , whats the spec of your gti bud ?

welshpug

he wasnt trying, be he didnt even hit VTEC YO.................

Daviewonder

I'd love it to be true mate but the driver in the Civic probably wasn't trying. A Type R would seriously pull down a 1.9s pants and spank its arse :(

allye

I'd love it to be true mate but the driver in the Civic probably wasn't trying. A Type R would seriously pull down a 1.9s pants and spank its arse :(

Unless its a a 6' engine'd 205, then the civic will have its trousers round its ankles :lol:

jonny6

those spaceship type r's are scrap and are not worthy of the badge . GTI FTW !!

Anulfo

Have to say from what i have seen on the track a civic type R in standard trim should beat a 205gti in standard trim quite easily!!!!Aslong as the drivers are similarly talented.As already mentioned once you start adding Mi 16 or GTi-6 conversions then the 205 has a fighting chance.

Birdie

Agree with above, unfortunately the gti's standard couldn't touch a CTR. New shapes are horrific!

RickyD

Type R's have to be driven hard to get them to go anyway due to the low torque figure they have. Normal driving will be just like any normal 2.0, however get it into the rev range and they go ballistic. I'd rather have my old MK2 Leon Cupra anyday, that's why I chose it over one.

205_sunderland

If it was a new shape type r they are alot slower than the previous shape and i dare say in the right circumstances you could just say keep alongside one but the older type r's are way quicker and even with a 16 box my brothers used pull a few car lengths on me everytime.

New ones are easy pickings anyway as they handle so poorly ;)

There all guttless vtecs anyway so just get the jump on them before its dropped a gear :lol:

Edited by 205_sunderland

Paul_13

I don't rate vtechs at all. All noise, no go

feb

A 1.6 Vti tried to move a week ago but I lost him from my rear view mirror :lol:

ALEX

I don't rate vtechs at all. All noise, no go

have you driven one?

I've an ep3 type r and had a 1.9 Gti. (building a Cti)

The power delivery at low revs feels less tourqey than the Gti and the long first gear suits the 205 with an even power delivery all the way to 6.8k RPM.

The lightness of it makes the 205's measly (to todays standard) 130bhp feel more like around 160+ if in a modern car.

The type R if not driven in anger can be dissapointing as there is not a lot of tourge low down, but i assure you the first time you hit the v-tec at 6k RPM, you won't be dissapointed (you wont want to change up a gear either). I've hit the limiter a few times as the 2k jump between 6-8 RPM doesn't take long. Probably the reason why the stuck the gear lever so close to the steering wheel! :lol:

A lot of 1.6 Civics end up with Type R badges on them, chances are it was one of those.

I'm 31 and now paying £750 fully comp for my 03 plate type R! I was getting quotes for £1000+ so expect to see even more wrongly badged up civics.

Edited by ALEX

tartanbloke

Afternoon all,

It was a new shape Type R and they are slower than the old shape. I agree that the fun is when you hit the V-Tech and it takes you to 8K within seconds.

Mine is just a standard 1.9 but it was on the small windy roads and whilst I new I was never going going to beat it, it was fun staying in his rear view mirror.

Chris

205_sunderland

have you driven one?

I've an ep3 type r and had a 1.9 Gti. (building a Cti)

The power delivery at low revs feels less tourqey than the Gti and the long first gear suits the 205 with an even power delivery all the way to 6.8k RPM.

The lightness of it makes the 205's measly (to todays standard) 130bhp feel more like around 160+ if in a modern car.

The type R if not driven in anger can be dissapointing as there is not a lot of tourge low down, but i assure you the first time you hit the v-tec at 6k RPM, you won't be dissapointed (you wont want to change up a gear either). I've hit the limiter a few times as the 2k jump between 6-8 RPM doesn't take long. Probably the reason why the stuck the gear lever so close to the steering wheel! :lol:

A lot of 1.6 Civics end up with Type R badges on them, chances are it was one of those.

I'm 31 and now paying £750 fully comp for my 03 plate type R! I was getting quotes for £1000+ so expect to see even more wrongly badged up civics.

Ive driven lots of vtecs and they are turd, you have to completely rag the tits off it to make it go and unless your revving hell out of it the stupid thing will drop out the power band once again at gear change so you have the humiliation of been overtaken by every car bar a perogua nippa untill its back in the vtec again :unsure:,

Plus the pieces of crap use about a litre of oil to a full tank under daily quick driving and at high speeds you can actually watch the petrol gauge fly backwards like your in a spitfire with a bullet hole where the fuel line once was.

And as regards the badge business, reps are easy to spot as they dont fit the side skirts,wheels or any of the type r kits anyway. Except for the odd civic sport you see done like a type r which is easy to pick out when you fly past it like its in reverse :lol:

I say we all pay £1000 each for head and cam work get our gti's to 171bhp per tonne and end this madness once and for all :lol:

Edited by 205_sunderland

ALEX

Ive driven lots of vtecs and they are turd, you have to completely rag the tits off it to make it go and unless your revving hell out of it the stupid thing will drop out the power band once again at gear change so you have the humiliation of been overtaken by every car bar a perogua nippa untill its back in the vtec again :unsure:,

Plus the pieces of crap use about a litre of oil to a full tank under daily quick driving and at high speeds you can actually watch the petrol gauge fly backwards like your in a spitfire with a bullet hole where the fuel line once was.

And as regards the badge business, reps are easy to spot as they dont fit the side skirts,wheels or any of the type r kits anyway. Except for the odd civic sport you see done like a type r which is easy to pick out when you fly past it like its in reverse :lol:

I say we all pay £1000 each for head and cam work get our gti's to 171bhp per tonne and end this madness once and for all :lol:

Each to there own I guess. -_-

It's hard to compare the 205 to the CTR. The CTR is Definatly quicker, more solid, better handles and is more reliable than the 205 but the 205 is more fun to drive.

GLPoomobile

When I hear people talking about these engines lacking in torque, I can't help but be reminded of the age old urban legend, that 8v XU engines are "torquier" than Mi16 engines :rolleyes: And we all know that is bollocks, don't we ;) It's an illusion - the peaky power delivery makes the Mi feel less grunty than the 8v, even though it has more torque throughout the rev range.

Now I don't know how a K20 compares numerically. I tried googling to find some power graphs, but most I found were non standard engines. Has anyone here actually seen a realistic power graph for a standard K20A and knows how the torque curve compares to a 1.9 8v. Because right now I have to say that this debate kind of smells a little of s*ite to me ( :ph34r: ) and I suspect that in reality a K20A still has more torque than a 1.9 8v even below the VTEC switch over point. If anybody can dispute that with real evidence then I'd be interested to hear that, and will happily eat my words :)

As for the Civics, well I've not driven one. Not a fan of the current shape, quite liked the previous shape until it became the new 'boy racer favourite' though. Guess it's just too heavy a car for the type of engine. If I Had the funds I'd happily have a K20 stuck in my 205 any day of the week B)

205_sunderland

Each to there own I guess. -_-

It's hard to compare the 205 to the CTR. The CTR is Definatly quicker, more solid, better handles and is more reliable than the 205 but the 205 is more fun to drive.

They dont handle better imho, i used to pulverise my brother in his round the twistys and he was a police traffic driver with all the training etc so its not like hes hopeless...hes damn good.

And yeah the type r lump may be better but its an irrelevant point, its in a heavier car etc so were not talking one engine against the other. I just can belive the older ones are best(type r) but the new style are just pants it was eaten alive on top gear against the old....what a s*ite new model

Edited by 205_sunderland

jonny6

deffo prefer the b18c over the k20 and ive owned both . id love to retro fit a b18c into my 205 . would be amazing ;)

205_sunderland

deffo prefer the b18c over the k20 and ive owned both . id love to retro fit a b18c into my 205 . would be amazing ;)

i was always a fan of the ek9 type r, its the only one iver ever liked and its meant to be faster than all since with very little work.

Jrod

Civics could never keep up with my 205... I did cheat having nearly 200 bhp though. ^_^

allye

Are you selling your 205 Jrod? '205 Mi16 bye bye GTI' ???

Mad Scientist

My wife drives a 58 plate type r and it is comfortably quicker than a 1.9 anywhere, if driven properly. It is also comfortably quicker than the 306 rallye I sold last month. It does feel gutless, but only compared to my 2.2 gti6 rally car.

Anyone who thinks a 1.9 is a quicker car anywhere is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Final evidence was the sheer number of 205s that I went past at the Nurburgring in it, including mi's and 6's. If you can't go quicker in a car with 200 horse and 20 years more development, shame on you!

Hell, the 520d I just ordered is quicker than a 1.9!

feb

A standardish 1.9 Gti may not be the quickest thing out there but 205's are not all about horsepower.

(I should wait to get my 205 after being used to the FSTi and then say that :ph34r: )

Mad Scientist

I know that, and I never said it was all about horsepower. Just giving some honest opinion based on actual driving experiences.