• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DAFTJOHN

Slow To Start 1.6 Gti

DAFTJOHN

Hi,

I've now had my 1.6 for a few weeks and have replaced the breathers, oil, filter and carried out both a engine and coolant flush.

The engine has 127k and is from the 1987 car.

When I go to start it will turn over for around 10 to 15 secs before running lumpy then will kick in to full revs - all this while the grey/blue smoke exits the exhaust.

The smoke has started more now that when I got it and this maybe due to the addidtaive I added to soften up the valve stem seals, so qusetion is any idea re the slow starting? It tends to start fine when warm but not all times, even leaving it 5 minutes after a drive will leave it taking a while to start again.

Other than that it pulls well, but is very slighly smoky when under revs but that maybe a fuel issue as it's dark smoke.

Thanks

Matt Holley

Sounds like low compression from either badly sealed valves or worn piston rings.

I would start with a compression test.

DAFTJOHN

Sounds like low compression from either badly sealed valves or worn piston rings.

I would start with a compression test.

Thanks, I do think it's the valves. I'll go buy a tester and see what that brings

Sign in to follow this