• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
monty400k

New Driveshafts, Now No Drive?

monty400k

Hi, recently joined the site, been having a few problems with the new driveshafts fitted to my 1.6gti so hoping someone might be able to help, Ive search high and low and have found lots of threads on driveshafts but not any that deal with my specific problem...

My steering rack gaiters needed replaced for the MOT, while I was under there I noticed that the C.V boots had gone on both drive shafts, got a new set and fitted them with new seals a few days ago. I dropped the car off the stands last night and started it but now I have no drive, checked the linkages etc and all seems fine there, I suspect the n/s shaft is not located properly. The o/s slotted in no problem right up top the casing, but I was concerned that the n/s wasn't fully located when I fitted it, there is a 5/6mm gap (as the splines are 27mm long I didn't think this would be a problem) between the diff housing and the large metal counter weight on the shaft (a guess) I removed and refitted the shaft several times but couldn't get the shaft in any further, didn't use excessive force as I didn't want to damage the CV's, plus the old one came out no problem...?

I am now stuck with no drive and am unsure whether the shaft is at fault or if something else has happened, i.e collapsed diff, when I removed the old shafts, any suggestions??

Thanks

Jon

Tom Fenton

I would suggest first off removing this rogue shaft and putting the old and new side by side to check dimensions. If all looks good and the same, then the shaft may just need a bit more of a shove to pop the inner joint fully home into the diff.

welshpug

compare the replacement shaft to the new unit.

unlikely to be a transmission issue caused by fitting new parts, bar the new parts being incorrect or incorrectly fitted.

monty400k

I would suggest first off removing this rogue shaft and putting the old and new side by side to check dimensions. If all looks good and the same, then the shaft may just need a bit more of a shove to pop the inner joint fully home into the diff.

Hi, thanks for the replys, much appreciated! I compared the old and new shafts prior to fitting it, also got another shaft from a different supplier to be on the safe side and they were all the same, neither of them seemed to want to slide into the gearbox, will try tomorrow to see if I can get it to fully engage, any hints or tips, I had considered a block of wood and a rubber mallet on the counter weight but was paranoid i'd burst the CV boot??

Thanks again!

welshpug

shouldnt need any more than a good wiggle and a shove.

Sinbad

Locate it till it feels like its gone in a bit and then hit the inner cv with a rubber mallet,it will go.

monty400k

Ok, tried again this afternoon to get the n/s drive shaft fitted, used a rubber mallet on the inner cv to try to get it further into the box but it wouldn't budge, I've managed to burst the brand new inner boot in the process so am well pissed off... Stripped the hub nut, and ball joint and removed the shaft again, as far as I can see the shaft is as far in as its likely to go, looked into the box and cant see any obstructions, when I install the shaft it slides easily into the box till the splines mesh and then it slides in a further inch, Ive read on the site that some people leave the oil seal protruding a few mm, Ive fitted mine flush with the casing so the 5mm gap between the shaft and casing in theory shouldn't be an issue...? Am I missing something obvious, all I've done is fit new seals, shafts and oil, I drove the car in last week so cant figure out why it wont engage drive??

Thanks,

Jon

welshpug

have you checked the spline cound on the CV?

monty400k

have you checked the spline cound on the CV?

Hi,

Sorry, not sure what you mean, I'm 99% sure the shaft is fine, when its in position I can turn the disc or intermediary shaft and I can hear movement within the gearbox, tried fitting it with the car in gear and in neutral on the off chance that made a difference but the same result, coming to the conclusion there is a fault with the box although cant figure out why, the syncro on 3 and 4th was a bit iffy but it worked as long as you didnt rush it...?

Miles

What happens when you turn a wheel by hand, is there any force needed and does the other one move at all,

monty400k

What happens when you turn a wheel by hand, is there any force needed and does the other one move at all,

The other one didnt turn when I tried that the other day, it spins normally as you would expect

monty400k

Ive heard stories of people trying to remove drive shafts only to find them stuck as the diff has collapsed, although the shafts on mine came out and went back in without a problem I'm wondering if something similar has happened here, dont know enough about the workings of a gearbox but is it possible something has come adrift when I removed the old shafts??

steve@cornwall

Ive heard stories of people trying to remove drive shafts only to find them stuck as the diff has collapsed, although the shafts on mine came out and went back in without a problem I'm wondering if something similar has happened here, dont know enough about the workings of a gearbox but is it possible something has come adrift when I removed the old shafts??

Is it an early car? I'm sure the dreaded haynes has reference to something dropping if both shafts are removed.

monty400k

Is it an early car? I'm sure the dreaded haynes has reference to something dropping if both shafts are removed.

An 89 1.6 GTi BE3 box, bought a Haynes recently, there is a section on driveshafts but it was pretty vague...

stuart1298

I just remembered, what make are your shafts, on the n/s I bought one, everything was eaxctly the same, well it looked it, the thick piece of the shaft by the spline was to thick do it wouldn't slide in the whole way. Think it was a q-drive, got a gkn one and problem solved

monty400k

I just remembered, what make are your shafts, on the n/s I bought one, everything was eaxctly the same, well it looked it, the thick piece of the shaft by the spline was to thick do it wouldn't slide in the whole way. Think it was a q-drive, got a gkn one and problem solved

The o/s one is a q drive, had one of those for the n/s side but the splines were 30mm long rather than 27mm as the one that came off so I took it back, I have been wondering if Ive missed something at the other side, did check it this afternoon and all looked fine, it slotted straight in, wish I had done them individually now!

stuart1298

Where did you buy it from and what make is it?

Have you had the car running in gear whilst on axle stands?

monty400k

Where did you buy it from and what make is it?

Have you had the car running in gear whilst on axle stands?

Got the Q drive from Eurocar parts, the nearside came from Andrew Watts in Glasgow, its a suredrive or something, starts with an S, haven't tried it in gear on the stands yet...

stuart1298

Take it back, I'll get the part number off my box from Ecp it has a surcharge so take ya old one in, other wise it's a £60 plus the vat.

Miles

That's a mith the old dropping gears and I've taken the early C/R box's apart, The only shaft that varies is the N/S one with the spline length due to the later type diff's but these where never fitted on 1.6 but having had shafts supplied to short for a 205 I would never rule anything out as they do get back all sorts of wrong shafts, I've even given 405 shafts back to get the surcharge back.

monty400k

Take it back, I'll get the part number off my box from Ecp it has a surcharge so take ya old one in, other wise it's a £60 plus the vat.

I cant take the shaft back now as I managed to damage the inner boot with a rubber trying to get it into the gearbox yesterday, I've had two different drive shafts from two suppliers now and both fitted leaving a 5mm gap, I don't have my old shaft anymore as I had to exchange it to get the one Ive currently got on the car, don't know what to do with the car now short of stripping both sides and starting again, although Im pretty confident its all on as it should be, very confusing!!

stuart1298

When did u get the shaft, they may not have sent the old u it away yet.

monty400k

When did u get the shaft, they may not have sent the old u it away yet.

I got the shaft on Tuesday, I cant get the old one back as the new one I fitted has a damaged boot

stuart1298

By the looks of it they may have supplied you the wrong shaft, so they can't refuse you to return It. What make is it and what's the part number, I'll try x ref if tomorrow

monty400k

By the looks of it they may have supplied you the wrong shaft, so they can't refuse you to return It. What make is it and what's the part number, I'll try x ref if tomorrow

I will dig out the receipts tomorrow and check the part numbers and makes, they are in my car at my lockup, thanks

Sign in to follow this