• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stuart1298

Boost Problems

stuart1298

seem to have a problem with boost

i'm running a 2.0 8v turbo

in 1st gears i have no boost at all

in other gears it seems to hold back, until (i guess 5000rpm) then goes like stink

below is my current set up

boost-1.jpg

below is the setup i'm thinking of using, i think i have a problem with the standard boost valve hoping this will be a way of ruling it out

car.jpg

this is the link to the boost contrller i have

Edited by stuart1298

jonnyturbo

not my picture but one off here i saved to my comp, do you have the vacuum pipe going from inlet manifold to 1 way valve and then to the ecu? (map sensor pipe)

post69771164312051thumb.jpg

205_sunderland

You not got a boost leak if its taking so much effort to spool up?

stuart1298

Looking at the boost valve that's how mines set up, my vac pipe comes off the pipe from turbo to intercooler, would I be better putting this nearer the throttle body?

jonnyturbo

if thats how it was standard then i would put it closed to the t/b if you can, some people put it on the the inlet manifold on one of the open ports.

Miles

The Dump Valve should be between the turbo to inlet manifold, not sure if its me or the pic but it looks like the dump valve is on the non pressure side.

jonnyturbo

d/v should be where the recirc valve went and pipe off it in to inlet somewere

stuart1298

Yeah, dump valve is before inter cooler, but after turbo "i''m a muppet" will re do pic, just test the actuator, and it was quite stiff, I'm free'd it all up, now boosts to about 1/4 bar, So think I may not have bar in the same place it was, I loosened the bar and turned it, so will turn it back to where it was when I have time tomorrow

dave205

not my picture but one off here i saved to my comp, do you have the vacuum pipe going from inlet manifold to 1 way valve and then to the ecu? (map sensor pipe)

post69771164312051thumb.jpg

Where you've written "linked to boost hose going to throttle body" i sssume you mean the one directly above the main air intake on the inlet manifold?

dave205

Anyone any idea's?

jonnyturbo

only just seen this, iirc the intercooler pipe going in to throttle body had a pipe either side of it, one for boost controll and one for the icv.

dave205

only just seen this, iirc the intercooler pipe going in to throttle body had a pipe either side of it, one for boost controll and one for the icv.

I'll hav to put that on my intercooler outlet as the hose going from there to the throttle body is silicone.

When you say icv i assume you mean idle control valve? Ive fitted mine like the a guy on here with only a breather on the end.

jonnyturbo

i just attatched my boost controller pipe to one of the ports comming off the inlet manifold on the side and it worked fine. yeah i have done the same with the icv and breather filter but i thought id tell you incase you have original piping.

dave205

Do you mean the small electrical device on the drivers side inner wing? I assume the icv will be fine with a breather filter?

jonnyturbo

boost controller being the device in the picture i put up on the 1st page. unless you have a mechanical boost controller? icv will be fine with a breather just make sure the other side of it is connected to the pipe above the throttle body.

dave205

Mines exactly the same as that one. Is there much advantage to be had with a manual boost controller?

Ive connected the icv already with a breather, just needs a bracket of some sort fitting.

jonnyturbo

you could turn the boost up but your best off keeping the standard controller on until you have it all running and any problems fixed then if you feel the need for more power fit an mcb and turn the boost up a touch.

dave205

you could turn the boost up but your best off keeping the standard controller on until you have it all running and any problems fixed then if you feel the need for more power fit an mcb and turn the boost up a touch.

I guess you remove the controller and plumb the pipes into that? What do you do about the electrical connection, i thought the ECU needed it?

jonnyturbo

it will just register as a fault if not connected, some people leave it connected just so the ecu doesnt throw the fault code up.

dave205

it will just register as a fault if not connected, some people leave it connected just so the ecu doesnt throw the fault code up.

How do you know if it registers as a fault as you would'nt be able to tell unless you plug a diagnostic reader in would you?

Im not dis-agreeing im just mis- understanding i think.

jonnyturbo

some people have the eml light connected up so it will be on constant if its not plugged in. as for diagnostics just thought id let you know i have the 2 pin diag plug and had it plugged in twice by a snapon diagnostic machine and it couldnt find my ecu.

dave205

Eml is engine managment light ? What cable is it on the brown multiplugs? Whereabouts is the diagnostic socket located, and why cant the diagnostic machine it? Will ot cause me any running issues?

jonnyturbo

yes eml is engine management light

not sure which pin it is but looking at autodata it looks like pin 43 on the ecu but you will haft to trace it back or find a loom diagram for your previous engine maybe?

diagnostic plug is a 2 pin plug on mine but others have said and including autodata its sometimes a 3 pin plug?

only 2 machines as far as i know will pick it up what iv been told of and thats peugeot diag3000? and a snapon diagnostic machine but like i said it didnt pick it up for me twice. (pug1off made my loom and added the diagnostic plug)

no it wouldnt cause you any issues if you didnt have it connected up.

Edited by jonnyturbo

dave205

For the 406 or 205 engine?

I'll get a manual boost controller i think, i can run more boost then? How much can these engines take?

jonnyturbo

map sensor can take 1 bar before fuel cut but most people only run around 0.8 bar, like i said run it with the standard for now until you have all your problems fixed then look in to an mbc if you feel you need more power.

you will haft to trace it to what ever pin goes to the clocks through the original 205 loom i think.

just looked in your wiring topic

5 cable 74 k-light, unsure and i dont even know what this is!

that is engine management light i think. k-light is just another name for it.

Edited by jonnyturbo

Sign in to follow this