• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
welshpug

Choosing Wire Gauge/size For Engine Looms?

pugpete1108

yeah i was thinking of the round ones myself (locking type?) but seeing as i had these ones knocking about i though i would use them.

edit. just saw you were looking for a round one which i dont have

Edited by pugpete1108

huwjones

I just bought an S40 for mine too and am currently studying VWP! Out of curiosity, and slightly off topic, what coil pack have you chosen to run?

Did you buy the ECU off A B garage? If so, they sell the crank sensor wire at £9 per metre, but I think you're sorted now...

Oh, and from experience - use the convoluted tubing to cover the cables. If you get problems later on, the cables can be accessed much easier.

welshpug

coil pack will probably be a normal pug 8 valve unit, I got the S40 from a private seller in the USA :lol:

huwjones

I was thinking of a 406 2.0 coil pack - the square ones. At least then it's an XU10 based... Although that probably won't make much difference.

welshpug

you mean the 8 valve or 16 valve?

16v one will fit my engine but only if I chop a few lugs off the head which I;d rather not do tbh, in case I ever return it to standard coilpacks.

huwjones

I think it's a common pack for 8 or 16v. I was going to mount it either on the ECU box behind the battery or maybe on the bulkhead.

post-5637-0-33522200-1319572184_thumb.jpg

welshpug

that's 8 valve only, I'll probably make a bracket on the end of the head, keep the leads shorter and no movement to cause breakages.

welshpug

update, I still wasn't too sure what and how much to buy, but I came across an ebay seller doing a kit of standard JPT connectors+terminals for use with a DTA or OMEX wiring loom, dropped him an email and he said he could supply enough wire for me to do a loom for £15+vat (I already had some shielded cable)

Didn't use Sandy's recommended source (sorry Sandy!) but the guy I used has Guy Wilkes and Gwynnespeed amongst his customers.

I also managed to find the AMP superseal ecu connector housing on the RS components catalogue, about £6, I still had enough terminals left over (still have 16 after dong all the wires in this one!)

here's all the bits with the crank sensor cable already fitted

6695514881_fb626611c8.jpg

all the wires fitted

6695703009_f316847177.jpg

and most of the wires that will be going to the engine bay laid out and taped together, still the injector and coilpack power to add as well as a relay plug, plus a few for the gauges+warning lights, marked on my pinout diagrams which colour wires I'd used for which function.

6695811419_0b674096e4.jpg

I'm going to use a standard PSA double relay to run it all as they're pretty reliable things that can take the power and easy to get hold of, both will be in the standard 205 position, which if the loom ever gets transferred to say a ZX or a 306 they can sit in the ECU box on the rear of the battery tray easily enough.

costs total;

ECU plug housing £6

Wiring £15

connector kit £35 (inc standard 3 pin round connector typically used on TPS used on Jenvey's etc)

Additional TPS plug in standard JPT type £3.

connector kit comes with heat shrink for each connector plus a yellow printed tag and clear shrink tube to mark the loom out.

Edited by welshpug

Dj_mini

Do by any chance have the part number of the ecu plug on rs?

Thanks

welshpug

I made a bit of an eric and bought the wrong34 pin superseal plug it has 4 slots where the DTA only has 3, I just swapped the end of the housing for the time being.

this one has the correct number of slots

4-1437290-0

but is out of stock till Feb and costs £3 more.

this one has the correct slots but looks to have an extra locking tab.

3-1437290-9

I think these are the terminals req http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/crimp-terminals/6809705/

3-1447221-4

32p each! glad I still have 16 left :D

this is the PDF for the range

http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0e47/0900766b80e474d1.pdf